• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
Jul 05, 2022, 07:01 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!


Darkness and Desperation - Round 1

Started by Eclecticon, Feb 22, 2022, 12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Feb 22, 2022, 12:08 AM Last Edit: Feb 23, 2022, 08:03 PM by Eclecticon
Situation: The Fellowship finds itself in the lair of one of the nameless things that gnaws at the roots of the world. 

Combat Advantage dice:
• Arbogast 1/1
• Esgalwen n/a
• Grimbeorn 1/1
• Hathcyn 2/2

Situation Modifiers:
• The Nameless Thing has the initiative. 
Essylt is in a blind panic, but can be calmed with an Inspire or Song roll
• Anyone in a Rearward stance may attempt a Search roll (TN 18 due to the bad light and ongoing fighting) to find the dropped gem.

Physical Modifiers (complications):
The Fellowship is in complete darkness, and gains no benefit from their Stance until a torch is relit (with a successful Craft roll).   
• Until at least two torches are relit, the TN to hit the Nameless Thing is increased by two. 
• A torch, once relit, must be held, requiring a free hand to do so. 

PC/NPC  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :vv:HOPE  :<3:END  :-X-:STANCE  :##:STATUS
Arbogast
Esgalwen
Grimbeorn
Hathcyn
• 6 (:<|: +3)
• 6
• 4 (:<|: +4)
• 4 (Great Strength +3)
• 2d (:C|: +3)
• 1d (:C|: n/a)
• 2d (:C|: n/a)
• 3d (:C|: n/a)
• 9/16
• 13/14
• 9/12
• 5/13
• 19/26
• 27/27
• 31/31
• 24/29
Rearward
Rearward
Rearward
Rearward
normal
normal
normal
normal

ENEMY  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :@:HATE  :<3:END  :csu:NOTES
The Nameless Thing
 
• 5
 
• 3d
 
• 10/10
 
• 84/84
 

 

STANCES
:-X-:Forward
- action order 1

Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward
Maneuvers
:-->:Open
- action order 2

Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open
Maneuvers
:<|:Defensive
- action order 3

Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive
Maneuvers
:<->:Rearward
- action order 4

Ranged combat
TN 12+ parry
Must be 2 other PC's
in Close Combat; May not
use if outnumbered 2:1

Rearward
Maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance

Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level of opponents Athletics roll.
On success, may safely flee from the scene of combat
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

The hollow trembles with the movement of the Nameless Thing, and the Fire-watcher cries out in pain.  His cry, heavy with fear and frustration, resolves quickly into words: "NO!  I have dropped the stone!" 


:ooc: Arbogast loses seven Endurance to the Thing's opening attack. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

"Essylt! Woman! Give us light to fight by or we'll all remain here!"

Inspire Roll
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 1, 6, total 9


Really need her to help here. I have a two handed weapon.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

The Ranger left her sword hanging within its scabbard, and instead reached to the pouch on her other hip in which was her tinder. She called out to Essylt to bring a glowing brand near, while at the same time tearing a strip of cloth from her shirt.

Essylt reluctantly moved to her voice and Esgalwen wrapped the cloth around the remains of the torch. She held the tinder close and tried to steadily breath upon both in hopes that a spark would flame up. In her mind, the Dúnadan thought back on Morirúsë - the Noldorin Elf that had accompanied them into the darkness to slay the Beast of Mirkwood, and how he had rekindled the light of the Lamp. We are in need, dear friend, once more. If you can hear my heart, call once more to your Lady for the blessing of your people and help us light this darkness.

TN 14 craft 1d
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Esgalwen will spend a :vv: point to achieve the needed success to light the torch. :csu:
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

As one of the torches rekindled, Esgalwen breathed in relief and cried out to Essylt, "Now light the other with our new flame!"

Tucking the tinder box back into her pouch, she reached for Nimronyn.

:ooc: I know it makes no difference for this round, but Esgalwen will go to a Defensive stance until she determines the current situation.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

With shaking hands, Essylt takes the lit torch from Esgalwen and applies the flame to another in her other hand.  Holding the two flames wide apart, she scrabbles up the sloping edge of the hollow as the form of the Nameless Thing is revealed.  At least nine segmented legs support a long body, folds of pallid and glistening flesh hanging loose between segments of what might be chitin, that disappears into a tunnel leading yet further downward.  Shadowed by its own bulk, the suggestion of a wide, lamprey-like mouth faces Arbogast, foetid breath wheezing in and out with a noise like damaged bellows. 

Before the Thing, the Fire-watcher lies prone, his shield held above him as he tries to free his axe from beneath his side.  Of the gem he held but moments ago, there is no sign. 


:ooc: Now that you can see the Nameless Thing, I'll put stats in the opening post. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Arbogast will free his weapon this round and get into a Defensive stance.  I believe that just leaves Grimbeorn?
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

"Essylt, behind me but keep the light aloft.  We must keep the torches lit lest this horror gain the upper hand," cries Grimbeorn.  His shield and axe at the ready, he puts himself between it and the others.

 :ooc:
With the current Rearward stance, Grimbeorn opts for Evasion

 :00:
Athletics -  1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 4, 1, total 9