• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 20, 2024, 03:03 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Foes Beneath the Boughs

Started by Eclecticon, Sep 07, 2021, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's an AP for Hathcyn, and one for Esgalwen if there's an appropriate Trait you can find to tag in. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Sep 23, 2021, 03:56 PM #31 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2021, 04:43 PM by Eclecticon
Not until the last moments before nightfall does the Stag-horn call a halt to the march.  "Keep close together," she commands the small host, "and light no fires, for I fear unfriendly eyes are already close at hand." 

Nor is her warning without warrant.  Late in the night, as Esgalwen stands sentinel, a gurgling shriek carries to her ears from nearby, stirring many from their slumber.  Nimronyn's hilt is in her hand immediately as she looks about her, searching for some hidden foe.  There!  She catches plainly the tread of stealthy feet nearby, and the dull gleam of moonlight on iron as the branches above part momentarily in a night-time breeze. 

She cries the alarm, but before she can put her sword to work, the creature turns and flees, and the sound of many others nearby accompanies it into the darkness of the wood.  All about her, Men stir and reach for arms, still confused and struggling to wake fully. 

:ooc:  Decision time – do you pursue the goblins into the forest or let them go and maybe try to reassure the Woodmen?  The former will require a Hunting roll (TN 16 – it's dark!) and then an Athletics roll (also TN 16 – they're quick!) to catch up to them.  The latter will require a Persuade roll to convince the Stag-horn not to send her warriors off in pursuit, then an Inspire roll to keep morale up. 

EDIT: And of course, other options may occur to you - I'm open to whatever you come up with.

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: oh we have to stop? I thought we were going straight into battle.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Well, it's more a day from  hall to hall.  Play your cards right, though, and this will be the only time you need to stop.

Character sheet

Telcontar

I doubt we will be able to catch them all and I'm not sure it changes our plan much. If they know we are coming maybe the big bads will reveal themselves. They also will assume we are headed directly to the town not the HQ. 

My vote is restrain the woodmen.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Sep 22, 2021, 09:19 PM:ooc: That's an AP for Hathcyn, and one for Esgalwen if there's an appropriate Trait you can find to tag in.

:ooc: Maybe Adventurous? That would be the only trait that would make sense, as the group's mettle is being tested to move an army and save some companions. Let me know if that will fit the bill.

As for whether to pursue the orcs or to restrain the woodmen, Esgalwen is pretty weak in each skill necessary and so I will go with Tom's idea of restraint. Still, Esgalwen would be torn at this thought, as she does not want the orcs/goblins to be forewarned.

Here is my Persuade and Inspire rolls (the latter I will draw upon my Noble Lineage trait]:
TN 14 Persuade 3d
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 5, total 12

TN 14 Inspire 2d
:00: FEAT die x2 and better of 2d12 : 11, 6, total 17
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 6, total 11

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The goblins squawked off into the darkness as woodmen raced from their tents, weapons in hand.

Nimronyn glowed faint blue in the shadows and Esgalwen struggled with her decision.

Damn them! she thought. And damn me in this continuous second guessing!

"What was it? What did you see?" It was Cleof, a Wood-man of Woodland Hall. Other men and women were gathering around them, their own weapons in hand. All could see the bane-blade in Esgalwen's hand as it gave off its faint light.

"Goblins," answered the Ranger.

"Then we should pursue them!"

"Aye!"

"Which way? The trail is dark."

The voices spoke out around them all.

Esgalwen shook her head, "No... we let them go."

"What?"

"What is this wisdom?"

"They go to warn their horde of our presence. They will be ready for us."

The Dúnadan squeezed tightly the hilt of Nimronyn and replied in a calm, but commanding voice - one learned from her many days within the courts of Minas Tirith. "Their number was small and though assuredly we could defeat them if found, that will be the challenge. The darkness is their realm to have advantage - the daylight is ours. We will not divide our forces in any way, nor will we lose one warrior to a stray arrow in the night. No, let them run like the cowardly curs they are so that they might gather with their own. There we will slay as many as reveal themselves in the light of day, even with the shadow of Mirkwood around us, the light of the sun will be our shield."

Around her, she could hear the warriors murmuring. Her logic was sound and they knew it. Esgalwen continued, "So return to your beds and blankets. Be rested and ready, for tomorrow will be our day to cleave through these yyrks like a scythe through the summer wheat."

She knew that many of these men and women would not find sleep again tonight. The fiery spirit was now lit as well as the fear, for no man went into battle without some trepidation. It would be their nighttime talks and songs, and the sharpening of their weapons that would steel them in the battle to come.

As they begin to disburse, Esgalwen slid her sword back into its scabbard. Her mind drifted back to the town of Stánford and the despair that took and nearly killed her. In the darkness, she hoped that none of these other brave warriors could see her tremble.

:ooc: trying to keep Esgalwen's Idle flaw as prominent in her narratives as possible.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn stood silent at the edge of the gathering, axe in hand.  He was more than prepared to meet those scouts in battle, but knew restraint was warranted.  He comes up behind her and puts a hand to Esgalwen's shoulder as the group disperses.  "Sore to say, you are right.  Now is not the time to follow.  Not only is the darkness on their side, we may have also been led into a trap or a series of them, and we could have been sorely  delayed in that case.  Heavy is the head and heart that wears the mantle of leadership.  Get some sleep, I know I cannot anymore this night for my dreams are filled with dread for our friends, and I know we will need your cool head."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 26, 2021, 04:34 PM #38 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2021, 06:38 AM by tomcat
Esgalwen felt the reassuring grip of her friend's hand on her shoulder. She turned to smile at the large shadow of  man, "I will be with you Grimbeorn... at the gates. I will be there to either help free our friend, or to bring his body home so that it cannot be marred by those filthy orcs. I will make sure that Lindwine is with him, too, as well as their children, for I cannot bear to let him lay at rest without them."

The quiet nod from him was all she needed to know that they would win through to the doors of Black Tarn Hall, no matter whether all of Dol Guldur's host lay between.

With that she hugged him. It caught the Beorning a bit off guard, but his arms fell around her. He felt Esgalwen weeping - something he had never seen with this woman. Always did she put on a mantle like she was one of the men-folk, the warrior, the ranger. Never what she was - a woman with the heart and emotions like that of every woman - and he felt awkward as to how to deal with this new display.

She let him go and wiped at her eyes, "I will see you in the morning, my friend."

Eclecticon

:ooc: It's exchanges like this that have absolutely been the making of this game.  Really nicely done, guys.

My apologies for going a bit quiet - I'm on leave with my family at the moment and the kids are keeping me busy.  I'll try to get a post up tonight, otherwise it'll be Wednesday sometime.

Character sheet