• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:31 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Affairs of Wizards

Started by Eclecticon, Aug 25, 2021, 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

No sooner has Esgalwen pronounced the grandchildren of Maracar safe than the womenfolk of the hall rush through the nearest door, calling out for their sons and daughters.  Some minutes later, as the fury and terror of battle fades and footsoreness and hunger once again make themselves heard, they reemerge.  Though their faces are tear-streaked and at least as weary as those of the Fellowship, they are at the same time full of the world-encompassing relief known only to the parents of children both lost and found. 

Shortly thereafter, the wizards brown and white follow them into the hall.  Saruman, his voice resonant and heavy with the wisdom of an age, offers words of blessing and thanks for their hospitality before seating himself, by unspoken but universal agreement, at the central place at the rough table.  Radaghast fusses around him, putting Grimbeorn in mind of a sparrow attending a mighty eagle. 

"My thanks to you," the White Wizard says to the companions, "who are defenders of the Free Peoples of Middle-Earth no matter where you may be, nor what dark things may beset them.  Much have my brothers in the order told me of you."  More, perhaps, than you know of yourselves, the companions somehow understand though he speaks not the words aloud. 

As Radaghast settles, perhaps uncertainly, by his side, Saruman lays his black staff across the table.  "Great is your prowess at arms, and greater still your courage and your wisdom.  And so must I implore you: set aside what you have come to do and go no further, for down the path on which you have set yourselves lies peril and anguish, for those that follow you if not for you yourselves."

:ooc: Right - this just became another Encounter.  Insight rolls (vs TN 18 because you're dealing with millenia-old wizards): 

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 1, total 3

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 2, total 11

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 4, total 8
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's two bonus dice for Grimbeorn, none for anyone else. 

No introduction rolls are necessary.  Both Radaghast and Saruman are well aware of who you are and why you're here. 

Roll well, gentlemen... 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Setting his eyes on Radagast, Grimbeorn growls, "Isn't this exactly why you brought us together?  Bring hope to where there is none? To band together in fellowship across this land to set the Light against the Darkness that is spreading?  The dragon may be dead but Ringwraiths are abroad, evil men slink into our midst, and we are beset by the orcs and goblins on all sides.  And now, when there are people who need us, some who have stood with us, with you, through it all, you say stand down??"

:ooc:
 :00:
Courtesy + 1 Bonus -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 6, total 13

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: nice roll! I look forward to this response. ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Esgalwen was dumbfounded. Set aside what we have come to do?

It was said that people sought Saruman for his wisdom, but she saw none here. The Dúnadan made to speak, but Grimbeorn spat out his barb first at the old, Brown Wizard.

"There are people within that palisade that starve! Family! People that aided you at need, Radagast... and you say to leave them? What counsel is this? Where is the wisdom of denying our friends? Who will believe or trust in the other tomorrow, when danger comes?"

She looked to the bloody body of Maracar that Hathcyn had just lowered to the floor, still wondering if he lived. Esgalwen felt her tongue thick in her mouth, still trying to decipher the White Wizard's words.

:ooc: A courtesy roll
TN 18 courtesy 2d
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Not even close, and nothing more to offer.

Esgalwen paces back and forth, incredulous to what she has heard.

Telcontar

"Well Father's no one asked you to take up spear and shield. Have no fear of us to ask you to come with us. We shall do the work of axe and spear even if it were not for the call of friends none could dissuade me from hunting orcs. The scars of my body speak of my hatred. But in this case a friend needs help, and I shall not fail without even making the attempt. Warm yourself by the fire, after huddling in the cold woods I am sure the world looks cold and gloomy. You are named the Wise, but I see no wisdom in this, speak more plainly for the ears of warriors."

Insight (they really there is some arrogance in this)
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Rolled 3d6 : 3, 4, 3, total 10
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Hot on each other's heels, the voices of the three companions almost tumble over each other in their outrage.  Radaghast flinches back as if stung by Grimbeorn's wrathful words and Hathcyn's bitterness, and Saruman's brows draw together at Esgalwen's imprecations.  Rather than respond in kind, though, he raises his hand, and as he does so a great stillness descends upon the hall, the whispered conversation of the womenfolk and children fading away and even the popping and crackling of the fire hushing to the faintest hiss.    Then speaks the White Wizard, Wisest of the Wise, his voice deep and powerful yet soothing and melodic, flowing like the current of a great river into the hearts of the Fellowship. 

"Well do I know who I ask you to abandon to his fate.  Know that it grieves me to do so.  Such a thing I do not ask lightly, and for the heartache that must follow your decision I can offer but little consolation.  Nay, for I share it, and more!  Long has been the struggle of the Free Peoples against the Shadow that lies across Middle-Earth, and many heroes of Men have I known and called 'friend' before they fell.  Many more have surely fallen, their names unknown to me, their songs unsung, their deeds unremembered." 

The silence about them deepens until there seems to be no light but the reflection of the fire from Saruman's white robes, and no sound but his words.  "Dark have the years become, and long yet will this war continue.  No year goes by without fighting, death and waxing tragedy.  Strangers are enemies until proven otherwise.  'Sword age, spear age, axe age, death' was ever the life of a hero, and justly are the selfless defenders of the light to be praised and revered.  They face deadly enemies to shield the weak, simply for a good meal, glory, and death by the sword." 

He looks each companion in the eyes, his brow a knot of cares and years unnumbered.  "Not for all the treasures of Middle-Earth would I let good-hearted folk suffer and perish, were it in my power to save them.  Yet many are the halls of Men, and not all of them might my order defend.  The war is long," he repeats, "and many still shall fall, before the great song is brought to its conclusion.  But if a few fastnesses are assisted to withstand the Shadow, then might Men spread out and retake their lands, once the last battle is won." 

:ooc:  As you might expect, Saruman's voice is a potent thing.  The companions each need to make a Wisdom roll if they want to argue against it.  Provisional rolls, on the assumption that you do want to keep arguing, are below. 

Esgalwen
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 5d6 : 4, 4, 1, 2, 5, total 16

Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 5d6 : 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, total 19

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 4, 6, 6, total 18

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: As expected, you're fine.  Three successes so far, and two failures.  Care to keep going?

Character sheet

tomcat

"In Gondor it is spoken by those that know that the voice of Saruman has always been one of wisdom, but yet I hear no words of reason here. I hear only do nothing and accept the fate, and so be the stronger for it... someday? As if this is to justify the siege and killing of friends and allies? That in the future this war will end and so their sacrifice was necessary?" Again, the incredulity filled her voice.

"I ask again - how can we allow the deaths of friends and family, when we can stop this thing? How does not pushing back the enemy here and now, not serve to better the Vale?" Her voice began to rise in her exasperation, though she tried to maintain some form of respect, "How do the clans of the Vale ever hold on to the unity that they strove to create, years ago, when we ignore the plight of the Black Tarn?! Do you believe they will ever answer the calls of the other, in the future? All that we will create here is resentment and spite."

Esgalwen looked past Saruman to Radagast, "We hear Saruman speak, Master Radagast, but what words do you offer? You know these people and have lived among them their entire lives. What do you say?"

:ooc: I am going to make an Inspire roll here and use my Noble Lineage trait. Me knowing the lore that Radagast was always the weaker of the lot of the Wise, and not necessarily meta-gaming, but I see Esgalwen pleading to Radagast, a "friend" here, to add to their argument against Saruman.

I will also roll for Persuade and you can choose the skill you think best suits what I am trying to achieve...
TN 18 inspire 2d include Noble lineage trait (2 feat dice, best of two)
:00: 2d12 : 3, 6, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

TN 18 persuade 3d
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 2, total 7

tomcat

:ooc: I will drop a :vv: point on either test. That will either get me a 18 :%: success with Inspire, or a 19 standard success with Persuade.

GandalfOfBorg

"Those halls that have fallen either help didn't come in time though it did come, which we are in danger of, they were given up through treachery, or overrun lest word ever left.  Our bond was given, blood mingled, and oaths sworn.  We Men take not lightly these matters, even if you Wizards look so upon them.  I would rather die than let my honor be sullied if there wasn't a means for me to fulfill the oath of my father and people. So, pray tell, could be more important that we turn from our path?" spat Grimbeorn.

:ooc:
 :00:
Awe + Bonus -  1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 3, 2, 6, total 13

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

"Yes, quite!" Radaghast agrees, his voice a thin and reedy thing next to that of his superior.  "Surely we should..."

Saruman's hand lowers gently, coming to rest on his staff without apparent thought.  "Do not mistake my mind," he intones, directing a warning glance at the Brown Wizard.  "The servants of the Shadow have brought this battle upon the folk of the Wood, and they must be defeated.  But going forth headlong to a battlefield where they have the upper hand is folly.  The strength of the southern kingdoms might achieve such a feat, but not the clans, brave though they are." 

He continues, his voice winding about the hearts of the companions like vines about the trunks of young trees.  "They should instead be encouraged by their small victory to pursue greater conquests.  Let them come rashly on, and face the host of the Woodmen near Rhosgobel, far from the corrupt influence of the Black Tarn.  There, we shall face them on our terms, with the sunlight itself as our ally." 

Quote from: tomcat on Aug 30, 2021, 03:44 AM:ooc: I will drop a :vv: point on either test. That will either get me a 18 :%: success with Inspire, or a 19 standard success with Persuade.
:ooc: Keep your Hope, Doug.  The TN for these tests is higher than usual (16 rather than 14) but you've still landed a great success.  Ditto Grimbeorn (:csu:). 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"I will not leave Arbogast nor his family to be stewed in a pot. If not a battle than a raid. A larger battle on our own terms would serve us well, but we still may have surprise and speed with us. Until a better course is self evident we must continue on this one. And failing that, though I go alone I will go to the
Firewatcher's aid.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Was there a skill roll to accompany that, Tom?

Character sheet