• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 02:02 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - The Road East And West

Started by Eclecticon, Jun 27, 2021, 12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Yeah I thought i did the fifth stage teo fellowship phases ago.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Jul 07, 2021, 10:29 AMI don't think Paul uses this, but here was our status on the road a few years ago...
:ooc: Here's where we're up to:

Road status (as of the end of the last Fellowship Phase):
1. clearing the road :csu:
2. restoring the wayforts :csu:
3. restoring the road :csu:
4. patrolling the nearby woods, :csu: and
5. acting as messengers to drum up trade.

#5 is what anyone putting an undertaking into the Road is working on.  After that, Rorin glares at Bofri until he agrees to give the Fellowship of the Helm an ongoing share of the tolls.  I've been envisioning this as a share paid to the active members of the Fellowship, whoever they may be, to kind of keep them on retainer in case their services are needed in the future, but other people may see it differently. 

Also, to your point about whether I use the checklist above, I'm the one who's been keeping track of it! 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Jul 07, 2021, 01:26 PM #47 Last Edit: Jul 07, 2021, 01:30 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: Telcontar on Jul 07, 2021, 11:47 AMYeah I thought i did the fifth stage teo fellowship phases ago.
Nah, sorry.  The previous Fellowship phase was a short one between two adventures in the same year, so we didn't bother with road stuff.   The previous one we all worked on #4.  I know, I know - we've been at this for what seems like thousands of years, but trust me.  My project management skills are pretty basic, but I've had my eye on this project for some time.  I'm now like a little kid the night before Christmas, jiggling from foot to foot at the thought of actually finishing it. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Ok, I apologize if I'm a bit dense but much has been discussed...
1. Grimbeorn will not share in the gold recovered, he is not in need of it much now.
2. Grimbeorn returns home of course, and uses one of his undertakings to help finish the road as it ends near his domain and benefits his people greatly.
3. Weal & Woe
W/W - 1d12 : 2, total 2
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn gives the dwarf king a deep bow of appreciation and respect.  "I accept your generosity on my behalf and my companions.  Please know that you and your folk are welcome in the lands of my people as long as my breath lasts as friends and allies.  Our bond can only grow stronger.  May your cup overflow and axe be ever keen."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: Tom, take your 16 Treasure and darken my door no longer! 

Matt, by my count Grimbeorn has 15 XP and 16 AP to spend.  Get spending! 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

16 AP ->
Courtesy 1->2 (8)
Persuade 0->1 (4)
Remaining: 4 AP

15 XP ->
None spent, saving XP

Undertaking: Complete Road - Shared tidings of the road and its boon to the nearby peoples, especially the Beornings, walked the road home and continued to deal with threats along the way
Undertaking: Heal Corruption - Tends to his lands, spends time at home again with his father who is beginning to age more since he left, baking and brewing

TN14 Craft -  1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 1, total 5

Weal&Woe =2 (Grim Year)
Returning to his lands, Grimbeorn found the news of the betrayal of Wulfdan had spread before he even arrived.  He had taken counsel with his father first alone recounting his tale and his personal thoughts and then it was shared with the other thegns after they arrived to hear about the counsel in the east as spoken by Hathcyn.  This gave him both time to listen to the other's perspective but also watch the others as deeds fell and true were recounted.  From the start, he noticed a couple not in attendance, a few left during the report, and yet some also appearing furtive at mention of the traitorous actions though remaining for the whole thing.  Once the tale was given, there were many mutterings from concern about the increased travel from across Mirkwood to discussion of alliances and the reemergence of a long-forgotten evil.
One by one though the thegns also began recounting ill tidings in their lands with wolves at the borders, more orc raids out of the mountains, thieving creatures out of Mirkwoord, and dark sightings and tidings of strangers around the lands.  Grimbeorn had not arrived home too soon.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: Good stuff, Matt.  Don't forget, as a Beorning he has access to the Return to the Carrock undertaking (which lets you heal corruption using Travel instead of Craft or Song).  I like the idea of him spending more time in his father's house, though, and Beorn getting noticeably older. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: If you allow, I'll re-roll with Travel ... just the journey home, thoughts of home, his father, being amongst the familiar trees, plains, animals gives him hope.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

Jul 09, 2021, 01:03 PM #54 Last Edit: Jul 09, 2021, 05:39 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Sure.  I don't have a problem with that.  Were we sitting around a table, I'd have reminded you before you rolled. 

EDIT:  Having done a brief check, we're just waiting for Tom to advance Hathcyn and do his undertakings.  Any more narration you guys want to add would also be nice, but not necessary. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Travel -  1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 4, total 10
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

:ooc: Grimbeorn has four points in Travel, so one extra die:
:00 1d6 : 6, total 6

Character sheet

Telcontar

A worthy Year!
+6 Treasure for a Worthy Year
+16 treasure from the chest
+x from the Guard job

Persuade Increased
Valor Increased
Great Spear Increased

Undertakings
Spread the word of the road
Guard the Forest Road
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Started Holding Ale House
Raised Stone. (I'm going to spend money on this and count it towards standing if that's cool?)
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

A worthy year indeed!

Chance meeting: You encounter a potential
patron of note (like Gandalf, Radagast, or some
other wanderer). You gain three bonus Success
dice to spend during any one encounter with that
notable figure, and may later undertake to gain
them as a Patron.

Money would have been better, but we can work with this. Paul ideas on who Hathcyn would meet on the Road? We havnet really been using the Patron concept too much in this game.

Spend 4 treasure on the standing stone, songs and ale.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Jul 10, 2021, 12:33 AM #59 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2021, 12:35 AM by Telcontar
A Worthy Year.
After the brush with the wraith Hathcyn was slow to recover. His body was hale, but he was plagued with dreams and disturbances in the night. Neither the elves nor the men of Laketown could do much for him. Time alone would have to heal him after his second brush with the wraith world. Soon he grew restless in Laketown and he was drawn to see the wonders of Dale. The moving and travel did him good and Dale was a marvel. The size and scope of the towers, the flowing of the water in the streets was a marvel. He could not believe that this was a city of men. So different from the settlements west of the wood, and nothing like Laketown below.

He also found that he had new standing among the dwarves of the mountain. His role in the safe delivery and the return of the King Under the Mountain was known, and Balin had spoken highly of him. Doors that would have otherwise have been closed to him were open. He was invited to ales in the tavern and dwarves greeted him in the street "Hail Longspear friend to stone!" when they passed him by.

He was still surprised when an invitation to Erebor arrived. The note referenced his achievements on working on the road, and the recent service he had rendered to the crown. At least according to the dwarf who had to read the message to him though it was written in the common speech. The invitation to the see the great gate and be toasted in the ale house was too great to pass up. So he made his way to the entrance of Erebor. Here he beheld the great gate of Dain. The peculiar rock of Erbor which was a green marble with veins of golden quartz throughout. The entry figures stood tall and proud now restored to their old glory.

Though few not of Durin's folk were allowed into the Halls there were some accommodations just inside the gate for those who had bussiness or visited the dwarves and here Hathcyn was allowed to enter and again met Bofri of the Road. They toasted and talked with many ales. Bofri asked Hathcyn if he would accompany a few wagons to the south, to act as a guard and to spread the word of the forest road to other men along the River Running that a great road was now open into the west. He believed the words of another man would be helpful. Dwarves had little understanding that all men were not the same, but he agreed.

"I will do this for you of course, but may I ask for something in return?"

"Speak Longspear."

"I wish to have a column of stone, like that which is here in Erebor. I would take it west with me and raise it up. "
"This is an easy enough task, we shall shape it into a column..."

"No Lord, please. That is not in the manner of my people. I do not wish it shaped. I wish this to be in the manner of my people natural and unwrought, but also as a reminder of the Kingdom of Erebor its beautiful stone to sit at the west entrance to the wood."

"A manling who appreciates stone? You are a friend to stone indeed. It shall be ready on your return Longspear."

In a few weeks' time the task was done and the stone brought west of the wood. There in the manner of the Beornings Hathcyn erected a standing stone. The color unlike anything else from the surrounding areas. Upon a cleared knoll he raised it where the sun would catch the quartz veins and the stone would sparkle and shine in both sun and moon light. The Spear of the Fox he named it and spending some of his coin many barrels of ale were opened, and bards were paid to sing of his deeds with Grimbeorn and the others.

"As is the manner of our people let no man hunt at night within sight of this stone. I call this land reserved in the manner of my people. And to see that my word is kept I shall build a hall. Yes! An ale house even. There by the entry of the road so that all men and dwarves coming from the wood or beginning their journey east shall have a place to rest. To tell stories and to sing songs as we have done under the stars. The Fox Tale I shall call it. Who will help me raise timbers!"

Despite the breadth of the wraith the year passed very well for Hathcyn. Work upon his ale house passed quickly. Many of the workers of the road were happy to help him in the task and the wood was ready and nearby. Good water was available, and lands were cleared for timber and stone which made room for grains. Though farther away from the seat of Beorn than any other holding Hathcyn kept his allegiance to Grimbeorn and extended the lands in which his word was law. His cattle flock in the south prospered too and his hands filled with coins. His prestige was rising, which also served his plans.

No stranger to Beorn's Hall Hathcyn again found himself back in his Lords house. The sight of Aestid was a pleasing one, and he had thought of her often in his travels. Glad he was to again spend time in her company.

"You have been busy Longspeear. I have heard songs of you!" She laughed and it was pleasing to hear.

"Yes, do not think me vain, but I paid for them." He laughed with her.

"I did not think you so vain before but after this...." She laughed and looked upon the scarred face of the man and smiled.

"Nay lady I am not, I don't have the teeth for vanity anymore. I have a friend of mine who is both poor and always needing to speak. I but paid him and filled his mouth and belly as a kindness."

"Lies!"

"Maybe a little, but I would have men know of my deeds so that I may be worthy of your company lady."

"The beasts of the hall in the house of Beorn care not for songs, you do not have to pay for my company."

"No, but men do. And it is the pack of men that must be tended. No love from your father ever, but others may find me worthy."

"Bold words Hathcyn from a man who burned down my childhood home, and the hall of my fathers."

"Truly, I will get no love from him, but it is yours I seek. I would have a reputation enough that his opinion of me would mean nothing. I would see you too as Lady of your people, your word to guide them into better decisions."

"Your words are heavy with many meanings Hathcyn....."

"Ah Grimbeorn! Would you share a cup of your mead with us?"

The Lady stood, "Be safe Longspear, I wish you good fortune on your journeys and my hope is that you are successful. I too have misplaced my father's love, but my brother... for all his faults is my brother. No harm by your hand shall come to him or you shall never have mine. Be well men of the Carrock."

Grimbeorn who conserved words as way of query to his bannerman just stood and looked at Hathcyn as she left.

"Lord."

"Well what was that? Now you are short on speech?"

"ahhh nothing really. Well, I may have just promised Aestid I'd make her Chieftain of her people as a groomsprice. Though I am not sure, some of the details were left out. Most of the details were left out. She wished me luck though! You heard that, so that's more of a yes than a no. Isnt it? Lord? Some of your mead Lord?....."

"If you listened more and spoke less you would have heard her say yes. With conditions. But pour the mead and I'll help you to have heard what she said."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear