• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:51 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Confrontation in the Gloom - Round 6

Started by Eclecticon, Jun 15, 2021, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Jun 15, 2021, 06:34 PM Last Edit: Jun 17, 2021, 07:15 PM by Eclecticon
Situation: The Fellowship has followed the servants of the Shadow to their lair beneath Lake-Town.

Combat Advantage dice:
• Arbogast 0/1
• Esgalwen 0/2
• Hathcyn 0/0
• Laeral 0/2

Situation Modifiers:
• The companions have the initiative. 

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• Footing is treacherous.  Any character struck with a Great or Extraordinary success must make an Athletics roll (at TN 5 + Endurance lost) or fall.  Characters on the raft receive a +4 bonus to their roll.  Characters can also use a called shot (TOR p 178) to perform a Pummelling Attack (Adventurer's Companion, p 111) to automatically knock their opponent into the water. 

The platform ahead is slippery, but broad enough that characters are not in danger of falling.

PC/NPC  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :vv:HOPE  :<3:END  :-X-:STANCE  :##:STATUS
Arbogast
Esgalwen
Hathcyn
Laeral
• 6 (:<|: +3)
• 2d (:C|: +3)
• 1d (:C|: n/a)
• 2d (:C|: n/a)
• 3d (:C|: n/a)
• 10/16
• 10/14
• 8/13
• 9/12
• 8/26
• 27/27
• 19/29
• 20/28
Open
Rearward
Defensive
Rearward
weary
normal
normal
normal

ENEMY  :+~:PARRY  :<>:ARMOUR  :@:HATE  :<3:END  :csu:NOTES
The Haunter of the Lakeshore
Bowman 1
Bowman 2
Bowman 3
Knifeman 1
Knifeman 2
Knifeman 3
Knifeman 4
Knifeman 5
Knifeman 6
Lake-Beast
• 2d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 1d
• 2d
• 9/10
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 2/2
• 5/6
• 39/50
• 1/14
• 1/14
• 1/14
• 0/12
• 0/12
• 12/12
• 0/12
• 0/12
• 12/12
• 0/32

??
??
??
Dead
Dead
Fleeing
Dead
Dead
Fleeing
Dead

STANCES
:-X-:Forward
- action order 1

Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward
Maneuvers
:-->:Open
- action order 2

Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open
Maneuvers
:<|:Defensive
- action order 3

Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive
Maneuvers
:<->:Rearward
- action order 4

Ranged combat
TN 12+ parry
Must be 2 other PC's
in Close Combat; May not
use if outnumbered 2:1

Rearward
Maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance

Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level of opponents Athletics roll.
On success, may safely flee from the scene of combat
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Jun 15, 2021, 06:44 PM #1 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2021, 07:32 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: In view of the fact that several of the companions have bows nocked and ready, and it'll take a second or two for the knifemen to make contact with Hathcyn and Arbogast, you guys now have the initiative. 

EDIT: To be clear, only Laeral can currently see the Nazgûl.  To everyone else, it's just a feeling of dread that grows the closer you approach. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

"No!" calls Arbogast as he advances on to the platform.  "Fly!  Heed not the commands of the one who is all Men's enemy!"

:ooc: Arbogast is trying a long-shot Awe roll to see if he can break away one of the knifemen.  This requires a great or extraordinary success to succeed. 
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 2, total 8

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's good, but not quite enough to break the hold of the Ringwraith.  I'll use his advantage die:
:00: 1d6 : 3, total 3

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Jun 15, 2021, 06:53 PM #4 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2021, 06:57 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: And that makes it over the line with a Hope spend.   

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: i was going to try something of the like too. What is the result of Arbogasts attempt?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: I am not sure if Esgalwen is able to see any of the oncoming foe, so here is a roll to see (if necessary), followed by a bowshot at Knifeman 4.

I will leave it to you, Paul, as to the success of either roll.

Awareness
TN -- awareness 2d
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6

Ranged attack on Knifeman 4
TN 15 great bow 3d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 4, 4, total 11

:dmg: 7   edge: 10  injury: 16

I will use my last advantage die at need...
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: If I need the Awareness test, I will use the advantage die if it can potentially attain the TN.

If I am successful at seeing -or- if I didn't need the awareness test, that is a piercing shot for 7 :<3: loss, TN 16 protection test.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: No need for an Awareness test, Doug - I think Esgalwen can make out enough to find a target.  Let's see how this guy does on his Protection roll:
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

Quote from: Telcontar on Jun 15, 2021, 09:48 PM:ooc: i was going to try something of the like too. What is the result of Arbogasts attempt?
Sorry for not making this clear (or putting any proper narration in - work called me away).  Arbogast was successful against a TN 18.  Was this the best use of a Hope point?  Probably not, but here we are. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Jun 16, 2021, 02:42 PM #9 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2021, 09:37 PM by Eclecticon
The dark spell over one of the wretched knifemen visibly breaks, and without pausing to draw another breath the man turns on his heel and flees, letting his hook fall to the platform floor.  A moment later, Esgalwen looses another shot and a second knifeman falls with a sob, transfixed by a yard-long shaft.   

Above the heads of those who fight and die, muffled shouts can be heard as the timbers resound with the heavy tread of men. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn felt the will over their opponents faltering. He hoped with a slight nudge the rest would flee and they could see what this dark threat before them was. Unknown to Hathcyn was that the foe they now faced was far greater than even the wraith in the Great Hall of the wood that had unmanned him.

"The House of Beorn is not made of frail men! Fly if you wish to live, fly before the spear and Axe of the Wood!"

The Fox Ring of gold glittered like fire in the lantern light and the bellow of the Beorning could be heard like a muffled war cry to the Lakemen above.

:ooc: Attempting an AWE roll in the face of a Ringwraith seems ludicrous, but this is the stuff of heroes right. The Dice will tell their tale.

Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

Rolled 3d6+1 : 2, 6, 2 + 1, total 11
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

:ooc: I expected better. Hathcyn you poor bastard.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Esgalwen hears Hathcyn's challenge and cries out to join him, "Not just axe and spear of the wood, but sword and bow of Gondor! And knife and bow of Beleriand!"

She knew the tales - long had she read the books and scrolls within her grandfather's house of the old days. Days before Númenor. Days before the world was rounded and the lands were submerged. She was not sure if Laeral was old enough to remember those times, or if she carried the treasures of those wondrous places, but she was of their ilk and that blood was powerful.

So, too, were the names that they bore.

:ooc: Here is a bit of hope... a 50% chance to give him what he needs. I throw my last advantage die for Hathcyn's check.

Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

tomcat

Jun 17, 2021, 03:21 AM #13 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2021, 03:25 AM by tomcat
:ooc: BAM! Bitches! That should give Hathcyn a 20 :%: :%: success

tomcat

:ooc: Not that she is able to use a Trait for someone else's skill roll, but I am drawing the strength from her challenge above (and her knowledge mentioned) from her Old Lore trait.

I write this just to explain how Esgalwen knows anything of the old days of Beleriand and the fate of the Elves.