• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 03:19 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

So Short A Journey

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 14, 2021, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Swiftly a boy is sent running to the town hall to fetch Balin, and at length he comes, an ageing Dwarf with bright eyes, a long white beard and a dark red cloak.  "There you are, prince of Beorn's folk," he says at the sight of Grimbeorn.  "The Council will be much relieved to know of your continued presence, for you left no word of explanation for your depature!" 

Once appraised of the reason for his summoning by Tafan and the companions, however, his countenance turns troubled and thoughtful and he turns without further word to the Gondorian casket and its mute contents.  Long does he stand bent over it, hands resting upon its carven sides save for when he examines (or so it seems) each and every bone in turn for some sign known only to himself.  Finally, he straightens and announces "Here lies indeed Thrain, son of Thror and father of Thorin, who was my lord, my kinsman and my friend.  I will leave the conveying of the gratitude of Erebor to the King Under the Mountain," he says, turning to Tafan, "but know that you have returned a treasure beyond value to the line of Durin, that we long thought lost beyond hope of recovery." 

"Knowing its value," chimes Hathcyn, "will you accompany them on the last mile of their journey home?  Neither my lord nor his," he says, jerking a thumb at Tafan, "would see any offence given to the Dwarf-king or his people by their poor treatment." 

"I should think not!" comes the reply.  "And yet, if you are of a mind to bring them before the Council  under concealment, I am likewise loathe to draw further attention to them.  Rather, I should say that I should go forth with the messenger of Isengard, and a hardy warrior or two, by the side of an empty casket while the true bones are transported swiftly to safety." 

At Esgalwen's concerned mien, his creased brow softens.  "Fear not for the stiff necks of my folk.  Great indignities have already been visited on these poor remains, and the exiled king will lie in great honour beside the son who restored his kingdom when all is done.  So short a journey in secrecy will visit no further shame upon us."   
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

"Might I also suggest," speaks Arbogast, "that Laeral, whose feet fall softest of any of us and who is not greatly famed as one of our Fellowship, take the true bones, while Grimbeorn and Hathcyn accompany the casket, and Esgalwen and I follow, concealing ourselves?"  As Laeral's brows rise ever so slightly, he continues.  "It may be that the thralls of the Enemy will more readily waylay a smaller company, and whether they be driven off or they escape with the empty casket, I would follow them to learn where they flee."   

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Lord Balin, you have captured the gist if my plan in an instant. And with your blessing it shall be done."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

"Then let us begin," the old Dwarf says, and with those few words he takes up a position on one corner of the casket.  Tafan, Grimbeorn and Hathcyn do likewise, the latter keeping axe and spear plainly visible.  A strange procession they make, as they go forth over the bridge to the Elven Quarter, and many of the sylvan folk pause in their business to watch them.  Balin walks solemnly, his eyes downcast in the manner of one in mourning.  Beside him, Tafan carries himself with all the pride and dignity of a great ambassador. 

In the Tollhouse, Arbogast nods to Esgalwen, silently wishing her good fortune, before pulling his hood up to hide his face.  He too goes forth, shortening his stride and favouring one leg such that he moves quite unlike his usual self. 

:ooc: Doug, Esgalwen can either use Stealth to try to blend into the crowd or Riddle to disguise herself.  Let us know which she's doing and make a roll when you're ready. 

Arbogast will make a Riddle roll for disguise:
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 4, total 14

For the two Beornings, what follows will  start with a test of Awareness:
Grimbeorn
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 2, total 13

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 4, 5, total 12

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's three successes (including a great one for Grimbeorn) but no additional AP as the relevant boxes are already filled up. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Mar 17, 2021, 04:54 AM #5 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2021, 11:55 AM by GandalfOfBorg
The odd arrangement proceeds forth, the silence gets the better of him given he is now in the presence of one of the troop that landed upon his father's doorstep before his time.  "Lord, I understand it that my father was the one who found Thorin upon that hill surrounded by his kin, waylaid by the great goblins of Gundabad.  He won't say it aloud, and I offer my condolences, but he carries with him a weight of grief that he didn't arrive sooner to bring aid. It is for his honor and my family's that I am greatful to walk with you now."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: i think the bones are headed to Erebor, while we are headed to the Council with an empty box. Am I correct?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Stealth is her stronger suit...

TN 14 stealth 3d
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 3, total 14

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Niiiice.  Results to follow. 

Quote from: Telcontar on Mar 17, 2021, 11:02 PM:ooc: i think the bones are headed to Erebor, while we are headed to the Council with an empty box. Am I correct?
Everything's going to the Town Hall, but the real bones are heading there sub rosa.  They're still an official gift, after all, and need to be presented as such. 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Ooc: as always, Hathcyn is wary of the march to the council.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Grimbeorn, his dark eyes untroubled by the confusion of people surrounding the casket, is the first to spy the approach of the assailants.  Four Men, their broad shoulders and barrel-chests ill-concealed by cloaks of dull wool, are making their determined way toward the procession.  Beside him, Hathcyn, wary as ever of ambush in the close confines of the Merchant's Quarter, sees a slighter man find his balance on the roof of the Merchant's guildhall and nock an arrow to a bow.  From the timbers of Bridge Street, it is impossible to know just who his target may be. 

:ooc: Since you succeeded so well at the Awareness tests, you not only have initiative in the upcoming skirmish, but Hathcyn has an opportunity to try to defend either Grimbeorn, Tafan or Balin - assuming that he can guess who the bowman is targeting...

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Esgalwen and Arbogast, following the casket far enough back to remain unnoticed, will be able to act once the Beornings (and flying arrows) make it clear that bad doin's are afoot.   

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn noted the men and the roof archer. He was not a cunning man, but his mind spun assessing the motives of men. He tried to figure who was the greater target quickly... a man from the south who bore a gift, his death would not change what was happening. An aged dwarf esteemed and honored, but his death would not waylay their attackers purpose. Grimbeorn. The Wolfslayer. His lord and also the largest threat to any attacker. He has an obligation of oath and errand to him.

Hathcyn set to impose himself between the archer and Grimbeorn. He cast his arm out wide so that his cloak would make it hard to aim with certainty and he stepped between the bowman and the cake giver. For good measure he kicked one of the porters carrying the Gondorian box in the knee causing them to stumble and break stride.

"The dance of heroes begins Atheling."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear