• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 02:55 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Shadow of Esgaroth

Started by Telcontar, Feb 12, 2021, 06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

"Ah, of course, my manners fail me!  I am called Tafan, and I am here as a representative of Saruman the White, Lord of Isengard.  My lord has received word of the Council and has determined to mark so momentous an occasion with an appropriate gift: a great treasure wrested from the darkness beneath the hill of sorcery where dwelled the Necromancer in the dark years." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn looks crosswise at the companions with him.  Dread comes over him at the mention and memories of southern Mirkwood.  "What is this gift you speak and how can anything under the sway of such great evil for so long not be corrupted and corrupt those that bear it?  And what business has Saruman here?  He is not known to us and best he name is only whispered here in passing, one who has no concern for us."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

"You must understand," Arbogast says, "that our fellowship strives to protect Wilderland against the servants of the great enemy of the wizards." 

"Indeed you do," Tafan replies.  "I have heard much of your deeds from the Hobbit, Bandobras Bracegirdle, who is also Saruman's sworn hand, and thus are you all known to me," he says, "saving only yourself, my lady."  He finishes with a bow to Laeral.  "You have the confidence of my lord, and thus I will share the mind of Isengard with you.  Come, please, and let me provide at least some of the answers you seek." 

With that, he leaves the hall with a brisk and steady stride, making his way through the gathering crowds of Esgaroth's streets with the confidence of one born to town life.  "My lord," he says over his shoulder once the market is past and the bridges to the Elven Quarter comes into view, "has long been as a pillar to the kingdoms of Men beside the broad Anduin.  And though he has not the capacity to be the same to the young, and renewed, realms here in the north, there is no question in his mind of their value in the long struggle against he whose name I shall not utter here.  That there is already a wizard in residence, and another who comes and goes, you know already, and I need not trouble you with further explanation.  The White Wizard is to them as the wolf's-bane is to you," he says, jutting his dark-skinned chin at Hathcyn.  "He is their leader and their law-giver, and they will do in these new realms as he directs." 

Bridges and timbered alleys alike pass beneath the company's feet as Tafan keeps up his pace, finding gaps in the crowd and passing, it seems, unchallenged by the silvan warriors who maintain a watchful eye on the streets of the Elven Quarter.  "My lord is of a mind," he says "to visit Wilderland, to gain his own knowledge of its strengths and its terrors, and to bestow more of his wisdom upon the Brown and Grey wizards." 

Reaching the Tollhouse, he nods to the guard on duty, who opens the stout portal with barely a word, clearly recognising Tafan.  Inside, the cessation of the lake-wind brings sudden warmth to chilled faces, and the dimness leaves all the company save Laeral momentarily blind.  By the time sight is fully restored, Tafan has moved to stand by a heavy wooden chest, richly-carved in a manner foreign to the eyes of Northmen.  Esgalwen, however, recognises at once the work of the craftsmen of Gondor. 

"Like all good guests," Tafan says, "my lord brings gifts with his coming, of which this is but the first, though I think it perhaps to be the greatest of the tokens of his esteem."  He lifts the lid, revealing a lining of deep blue silk, on which lie bones set out in good order. 

"Behold," Tafan says with a ceremonial flourish, "the bones of Thrain the Second." 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Tafan, this is a marvel to behold, but why is it here on the Lake and not in the Halls of the Dwarves? Last night wraiths attempted to storm this building, no doubt this is what they sought. The question is why?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Esgalwen spoke then, too, "And how do these bones come adorned so? Secured within a chest that is clearly built by the hands of Gondorian artisans."

With the question escaping her, the woman quietly came to her own answer and subtly shook her head at the foolishness. Fool! Of course this treasure is held in a chest of Gondorian make, for Saruman resides within an ancient fastness of Dunédain might.

She continued, "You say this treasure came from the Hill of Sorcery? So it was there that the son of Durin died."

The reply that followed her question was soft and none knew if it were a statement or question.

"Yes," Esgalwen then nodded her head at Hathcyn's words, "these bones should be delivered unto the Dwarves, at once. To hold them for any reason might be taken as an affront, even if presented as a gift."

In her last few years in Dale, the Ranger had learned well the spirit and temper of Dwarves.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: LOL i am also happy to see the call back to Bandy meeting with Saruman and his accidental feeding his interest in the Shire. Great example of narrative supporting canon and filling in detail! 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"And so they shall be," Tafan replies, "for I shall present them to the Council, and announce my lord's coming, this morning.  No bitterness shall I suffer for their keeping until this day, though," he continues, swelling somewhat with second-hand self-righteousness, "for it was never the folk of Durin who dared the horror and darkness beneath that awful place to bring their slain kin home!" 

"As for why," Laeral speaks, her voice like a clear bell in the dim tollhouse, "it is of old legend, lost perhaps to Men save the long-yeared folk of Westernesse, that the greatest treasure of the Enemy was lost in Wilderland.  I see no reason why Saruman might have found it, nor why he would make a gift of it to the Council if he did, but perhaps the suspicion of the Enemy is such that he could not discount the chance if it were possible for him to seize it instead?" 

She spreads her hands.  "What think you?"

Quote from: Telcontar on Mar 01, 2021, 06:45 AM:ooc: LOL i am also happy to see the call back to Bandy meeting with Saruman and his accidental feeding his interest in the Shire. Great example of narrative supporting canon and filling in detail! 
:ooc: It's all about the little things.  ;)

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn was wary. He tried to think of what the gain might be for the Lord of Sunstead in this box of bones. There was no intrinsic value to them, if there was a great treasure here desired by the great shadow then what would the reward for the effort be? Why not keep it for himself, were they truly uncertain as to what the treasure was.

"Who knew this relic was here in the tollhouse? What is the proof that this is Thrane?"

Hathcyn will also look inside to see if the box contains anything else other than the cloth and the bones.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: I have a slight bit of confusion - was it directly inferred that Ceawin of Sunstead is involved in all we have seen thus far? I read back through the thread, but I cannot find the direct relation.

Or is this an assumption on our part?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: i thought he hired the guys who dug up the bones and brought them into the city?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Okay, that was it! Thanks, Tom. I knew that it was connected somehow, and your PC mentioning it kept making me think - How is this connected again? I should have read back a bit further.  ;D

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Mar 02, 2021, 04:00 AM"Who knew this relic was here in the tollhouse? What is the proof that this is Thrane?"

Hathcyn will also look inside to see if the box contains anything else other than the cloth and the bones.
Tafan's eyes grow thoughtful as he considers the Longspear's question.  "I told only the Master of the town," he answers after a moment, "and made him swear not to reveal the secret.  I saw afterward a serving woman across the hall, and did not think at the time that she had overheard us, for she made no change in her demeanour.  But unless the Master has broken his vow, I am mistaken, for clearly word has reached my lord's enemies!" 

As Hathcyn peers into the box, he adds "as to the provenance of these bones, I cannot be certain, for I accompanied my lord only as far as the gates of the black fortress before finding myself... unable to pass.  When he emerged, however, he was pale and unsteady, but bore these bones in a bag.  I took them from him myself and placed them in this box when we returned to Isengard.  Rarely did they leave my presence betwixt that day and this, save only when I left them in the presence of other servants of the White Wizard, in whom I place an absolute trust, and when I left the box here, in the trust of the Master." 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Wizards."

"The dwarves will want to guard this themselves and move it quickly. Was not the power of that heal known as the Dead Magician? Perhaps he has sent the dead to reclaim the dead for some ill purpose. Either way I dont think they are safe to remain here."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"I am inclined to agree with you.  But I must stress that this is a gift from the White Wizard, not only to the King Under the Mountain (though he will obviously take charge of it) but to all the Free Peoples of the North.  I am bidden to present it with all due ceremony." 

He turns to Grimbeorn, and speaks with no small amount of relief.  "Grimbeorn son of Beorn, you and your companions clearly have the might necessary to defend these bones.  Might I impose upon you to do so while we bring them to the Council chamber?" 

Character sheet