• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:56 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Morning Council

Started by Eclecticon, Jan 24, 2021, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Jan 24, 2021, 04:27 PM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2021, 05:25 PM by Eclecticon
By daybreak, all of Lake-Town seems to know of the events of the previous night.  Men sought to slay the Elven prince, the town gossips breathlessly recount.  None have yet named the slain Men, but it is almost inconceivable that tongues of the warders of the Elven Quarter, or the Men who were besieged in the Tollhouse, will remain still for long.  When they tell their tales, the news will spread like a plague.  The assailants came from west of the wood, the townsfolk will say to each other.  They were aided by dreadful beasts from the marshes, brought here by the chief of the southern Woodmen!

In such a feverish climate, meeting in private is difficult, for every group in every inn and boarding-house, and every knot of people on the timbered streets, is exposed to those seeking the next tidbit of news without thought to its truth or falsehood.  Thus it is that the Fellowship of the Helm meets this morning, not in the closely-observed confines of the Eels inn that has become Grimbeorn's camarilla, but in the cool and musty air of Sigvald's warehouse.  There, Lindwine serves hot cheese mixed with ale, while the children patrol the narrow and hidden spaces for eavesdroppers, unable to stifle the occasional giggle. 

As her eyes adjust to the warmth and brightness of the brazier beside which the company gathers, Esgalwen is struck by a thought.  The coins the dead Men dropped were so bright, even in firelight, and strange to this place.  To those who pay heed, they will stand out from those struck in Erebor and Dale.  If they were spent in Esgaroth, those who received them might recall it.   Might they perhaps even recall the names or faces of those who spent them?

:ooc: I'll assume, unless anyone says otherwise, that you're all together again.  Doug, Esgalwen has had a comfortable night but not time for a long sleep.  I'm going to say that she's recovered all but two of her Endurance.  (:csu:)
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

"Well if nothing else the Thegn's will now realize the accuracy of Grimbeorn's words. Had we not played a role all westerns may be lumped into the category of enemy."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

"We'll see if they come to their senses; I won't hold my breath.  Hathcyn, when, (or if he mutters under breath), the guard promised arrives, see to their deployment and charge.  I must away soon to the council; no doubt we'll hear from hot heads and venomous tongues all day."  He stands, downs the tankard, and wipes his mouth on sleeve.  His pacing is odd for him, but speaks aloud his thoughts as he puzzles on the appearance of the strange and far afield assailants.  "I assume the large force was deemed necessary to assail Legolas, for he is no mere Elven stripling, I have seen him action when I was younger -- he has a way with a bow unrivaled and a penchant for sliding out of tight spots. But what gnaws at me most is where they came from?  This is sure to strain the good will of this gathering and hearken ancient memories of the Darkness from the North."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

"Well we know that they did not all enter the city through the gate. Some of them at least took boat and climbed through the sludge to come from under the city."

The Beorning pondered a bit, "and what evidence do we have that the Elf Aethling was the target? How do we know that he was their mark? Did not the wizard warn us that the Queen of Dale was in danger, or am I remembering that wrong?"

"As for the men. I will offer them to the Elven Quarter first, they will refuse of course. But that should at least show them that not all westerners intend them ill will. I am also wondering if there are byways and shortcuts beneath the city that are known to the less noble element of the city. This may be worth looking into as well. Firewatcher, your brain is full of stories, and Esgalwen, your people delight in books of lore. What can you tell us about our muck and bone foes?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: Well - lore is Esgalwen's forte, so let's see if I can muster something to answer Hathcyn. I will invoke any of the my Lore traits (Old-lore, Enemy-lore, or Folk-lore) that would help in the conversation.

TN -- lore 2d
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 6, total 10

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: These dice really fucking hate this character... she is 2 points off from a :%: success. Her :vv: points are critically valuable to her do to her inability to gain any new points save when her Fellowship Focus (Arbogast) goes unwounded in a chapter.

Is it worth the difference here? I am not sure. Her Lore traits will give her an auto TN 14 success, but I do not know if the :%: success will reveal more. Paul... can you let me know whether this could be story changing info she might have?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: No - put those Hope points away, Doug.  There's nothing game-changing that the :%: could reveal.  The mud-wights put her in mind of the spirits that came to inhabit the Barrow-mounds of Cardolan of old, and which finally broke the spirit of the folk of that region.  But of what it might mean that they are here in Esgaroth she has little idea, beyond it establishing that the Enemy has definitely targeted the Council, and possibly Lake-Town more broadly.   

I'll have another post up this evening, if I possibly can, including Arbogast's contribution. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: and now.....the player dice rolling has it's revenge against the game master!!!  (-D  (-D
This site has always hated the player!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Jan 30, 2021, 08:05 PM #8 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2021, 01:07 AM by Eclecticon
"Those who recently trod the way through the Narrows of Mirkwood between the Black Tarn and the Sunstead had begun to tell of things that stood like Men, but shambled in a way no Man ever did.  Their eyes, they said, burned like cold coals in the darkness and their voices were like the creaking of rotting boughs.  I would hazard much that they are like to those things we faced last night." 

Arbogast pauses, taking Lindwine's hand in his own as she favours him with a worried glance.  As he does so, Laeral takes up the conversation. "Many of my folk have been vexed by the wights of the barrows, and I do not wonder to find similar creatures here, over the Edge of the Wild.  What does surprise me is to hear that a lord among Men brought them to this place of his own will.  This man Caewin," she asks, looking around the small group, "should be advised of his error, for he reckoned without us!" 

The Fire-watcher is quick to respond. "I fear that we have been reckoned with all too well.  We have earned no small fame even here, and the eye of Sauron has fixed, however briefly, upon us.  Those who know of us could be certain that we would hear of the arrival of ancient wights, and that we would give battle to them when they emerged.  Thus distracted, we would be unable to help defend the prince of the Elves.  Were he to perish at the hands of a Man, especially one from a folk on the Council, what trust their is between Elves and the other Free Peoples would be fractured.  When there came a time for them to stand together, they may not be able to do so.  Were I the Enemy," he says, spreading his hands "I should likely make the same plan." 

"So what shall we do, o great strategist," Hathcyn asks. "Are we to go about hooded and masked?" 

Arbogast snorts at the jest.  "Perhaps in future, when our presence and names are not already known!  But it is far too late for that now.  No.  The Enemy seeks to work its will from the shadows while all attention is fixed on the Council.  We should do the same!   Let those of us who attend the Council meetings raise such alarums that the servants of the Shadow must first reckon with them before they can advance their aims of doing harm to the Council's members!  Meanwhile, let others investigate the underside of the town, for I am of a mind with Grimbeorn: there must be hidden ways beneath those that we see and know."

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay,to be clear,the above is not what you're required to do -it's just Arbogast's suggestion.  Others maybe equally useful. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I will have a post up tonight for Esgalwen. I have been slammed at work - it seems the quiet of the Holiday Season has definitely ended.

GandalfOfBorg

"As much as I would rather join you to muck around the undeeps of the city, I must muck around the even thicker waste of the council room.  I am sure Esgalwen's charge is to be looked after as well.  I will take our thoughts and council to the others and see what can be gleaned from their minds as well," resigns Grimbeorn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

:ooc: are we taking it as fact that Leagolas was the object of the attack or is that what people think? How and why were the toll house invovled?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"I think, too, that the shores of Long Lake need be marched. If not on foot, then at least we ride around its shores. Something Gandalf said leaves me to believe that our enemy may be gathering upon the shores. I don't know, I speak with little clarity of thought."

She looked to Grimbeorn, "Yes - the Queen of Dale needs looked after, but there is an armed detail for that. I am free to aid in how I can, at least until the King calls once more. My commission with the court has been resigned, though I promised him service until the Folkmoot was done."

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Feb 03, 2021, 09:53 PM:ooc: are we taking it as fact that Leagolas was the object of the attack or is that what people think? How and why were the toll house invovled?
:ooc: Both excellent questions.   

Character sheet