• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
Feb 27, 2021, 02:56 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!


CHAPTER 10 - Covetous Eyes

Started by Eclecticon, Oct 01, 2020, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

 :ooc:
King?  I can't recall, but has he claimed that title before?

Telcontar

 :ooc: Im sure if Cenwin has Mogdred wouldnt let it go. He does have two settlements to his name now.
T. Gingras

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h :00: 2 :dmg: 9 Edge 8 Injury 16

tomcat

:ooc: Mogdred took leadership of the Toft after the battle of Stony Ford and the prior leader, Vidugalum - who called himself a king - was unseated.

I guess it rubbed off on Mogdred, but now he commands two locations.

Ceawin never called himself a king to my knowledge.

It is a cool picture if Uhtred and makes for a good substitute for Mogdred.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Ignoring the pomp and egotism in the self-sworn titles, Grimbeorn replied, "Ho! Mogdred! You are far from your lands and your horses stand precariously over water.  I would counsel a fairer and more contrite tongue to the Master of this town and the lords of these lands. Honey instead of vinegar, my friend."

Eclecticon

Oct 20, 2020, 09:16 PM #34 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2020, 09:18 PM by Eclecticon
At the sound of Grimbeorn's call, Mogdred looks about, searching for the one who answers him.  After some seconds, he spies the tall Man on his perch.  Whether the newly fledged 'king' knows him by sight, Grimbeorn cannot say, but it seems that he guesses, perhaps only from the fact that few are bold enough to address him so. 

"Ah, the bear-blooded prince," he replies, his voice booming across the water.  "Much have I heard of your doings to the west!  Speak to these folk, then, and tell them of how I drove the orc-friend Vidugalum from his hall and holdings, that you might end forever both he and his dreams of war and conquest at Stánford!" 

Unseen by Mogdred and his warriors, but plain to Grimbeorn, the Master, flanked by the kings of Erebor and Dale, makes his way through the crowd.  Flustered advisors surround each of them, each attempting to stay close enough, in the press of bodies, to speak their minds to their lord. 


:ooc: Grimbeorn has an opportunity here to speak to the host of the council, and a pair of kings, as a relative equal – especially as he's the only one of them who knows anything at all about Mogdred.  If he wants to, he can more or less determine what kind of reception (if any at all) he receives. 

Doug, feel free to play out what Esgalwen tells Arbogast as she gathers him and Una into the Town Hall.  Alternatively, we can assume that she tells him more or less what Gandalf told her and consider him briefed. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Before I post anything about getting Una into the hall and meeting Arbogast, is Esgalwen able to hear Mogdred's call from the gates? Of all the company, she has the closest (and probably most sympathetic) relationship with the man.

If you need it, here is a roll for her Awareness.

TN ?? awareness 2d
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 5, total 11
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: That is a :%: success if it is a standard TN, but let me know.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Oct 21, 2020, 01:57 PM #37 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2020, 03:13 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Doug, I'm going to say that all Esgalwen et al can hear is a hubub to the west.  Lake-Town isn't huge, at least to us, but it's still a long way for Mogdred's voice to carry, and there's plenty of other noises in the way.  However, there'd be plenty of people carrying the news to people elsewhere in town, so there could easily be an excited person running past yelling 'there's some guy called Moggie who says he's a king!  He's scratching at the door to be let in!'
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn cocked an eyebrow at the blustery plea of Mogdred and gave pause in consideration.  With a wave, he acknowledged and agreed to the request.  "Keep an eye on this one, Laeral, loud though he is, he also keeps his cards close."  He made his way down to the throng and through it to the gathering high lords.  "My lords," he greets the Master of Esgaroth and King Bard.  "I know of this man and will provide counsel as I may regarding who he is and some of his mind, though there are others among us who know it better.  Regardless of what I say, it is not a 'yay' or 'nay' towards his request for these are your lands and your gate at which he stands, you do as you see best."  At that, Grimbeorn relays some of the interactions he's had and information he's heard, leaving out anything known coming from Esgalwen for it is for to share.

 :ooc:
 :00:
Lore -  1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 2, 5, total 13


tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Oct 21, 2020, 01:57 PM:ooc: Doug, I'm going to say that all Esgalwen et al can hear is a hubub to the west.  Lake-Town isn't huge, at least to us, but it's still a long way for Mogdred's voice to carry, and there's plenty of other noises in the way.  However, there'd be plenty of people carrying the news to people elsewhere in town, so there could easily be an excited person running past yelling 'there's some guy called Moggie who says he's a king!  He's scratching at the door to be let in!'

:ooc: Yep, I completely understand. I will assume her good Awareness roll is for just her becoming more attentive to her charge.

I will post later with something regarding Una to the hall and meeting with Arbogast.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Oct 24, 2020, 02:34 PM #40 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2020, 02:39 PM by tomcat
Esgalwen felt the stress leave her as she entered the hall, Queen Una close behind her, and placed her in the charge of the Bard's King's men. The guards were capable warriors each and having them and the walls around them allowed the Ranger to lower her guard.

"If you are done with me, I go to find a friend and so leave you in the care of your guard, my Queen."

"Yes, Lady Gwen, your services are no longer needed at this time," replied the Queen of Dale with a warm smile. It was evident that she, too, was feeling more safe now within the hall. "If I need you, I will send word."

Esgalwen returned the smile and gave a slight bow. It was normally the masculine gesture made to royalty, but the Dúnadan felt odd making a curtsy when not in a dress. Besides, she was always around men, now, and wondered if any women associated her as such.

Leaving such trivial thoughts behind, Esgalwen moved back to where Hathcyn waited. "Have you seen him anywhere?"

"Arbogast? Yes. He was," the Beorning craned his neck to look over the crowd for their companion and then pointed, "there... speaking with some of the men that had come north with Ceawin."

And so he still stood, deep in conversation with a well-dressed merchant or lord from the new settlement on Mirkwood's eastern eaves. The two pushed through the many folk strewn throughout the hall until they came to where the Fire-watcher listened with great interest of orc raids out of the southern wood.

"The crossing to the Tarn is becoming more perilous indeed even though the East Bight is only a short distance to your home. It seems the wood has become more fraught with orcs of a new kind - stronger and more cruel - as well as the spiders weaving terrible traps. Yet, to make for the Dwarf-road puts my vans on a terribly long travel. My profits suffer!"

Arbogast saw his two friends near at hand and could see they wanted to speak to him, and so he extracted himself from the conversation as quickly, and politely, as possible. His last words, "When I return to the Black Tarn, I will bring your words to Amaleoda and mayhaps we can assist in clearing the trails once more. It seems a waste that our two clans should need suffer the longer journeys either north or south to maintain good trade. We shall speak more of this ere you set off once more, back to Sunstead."

Now away from the delegates of the eastern realm, Arbogast came to his friends. Esgalwen could see the scar where he had been struck in the head. It was permanent, but looked like it had healed well.

"Esgalwen. Hathcyn," said the Fire-watcher with a nod in greetings.

The trio spoke quickly about the day's events, the entourage of kings and clansmen, and the upcoming council that would begin with Bard's word. The subject finally came around to first, Hathcyn's strange sight of a secret passing of items within the square. "Strange was the person who wore dark cloaks and pushed against the thegns as they paraded to the hall. And then a flash of an item in the day's sunshine! Metal it seemed, as it caught the light, but I could see no more."

"Which leads to my strange encounter," Esgalwen chimed in. "Do you remember the gray wizard that we met in the clearing of Mirkwood, near Thranduil's realm?"

"Of course, he is Gandalf the Gray. Oft has Radagast spoken of him to us, as well."

"The very one. It was as if he appeared from the frame of the house itself, near which we stood, for first he was not there and then he was. But that aside - Gandalf came bearing warning to us, saying that I need keep vigilant for the minions of the Eye are abroad and all within this Hall are in danger." Esgalwen made sure the warning was clear, "And so I bring this warning to us all - and soon to Grimbeorn - as I fear the wizard does not speak of a blatant show of force. I do not believe that Lake-town is under threat from Orcs of the wood, but from within - from those that might be trusted here."

She looked from her friends' faces to scan the hall and see if any others in the crowd gave an air of suspicion.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

"If he is as you say," says Bard, regarding Grimbeorn's words thoughtfully, "then he has been a foe of the orcs and their kind as long as any of us.  I see no reason why he should not be brought into our Council." 

He looks to his Dwarven friend and ally for agreement, but the King Under the Mountain only gives a shrug.  "I do not know him, but if the Beornings will speak on his behalf, then I am content to hear him." 

Nearby, Legolas is lost in reverie.  "Ah, Amon Bauglir," he sighs.  "What fell happenings have passed there since the fall of the Greenwood!  It gladdens my heart to hear that a foe of the Enemy now dwells there." 

"Very well!"  The Master claps his hands and calls to the guards.  "King Mogdred is no foe to the Free Peoples of the North.  Open the gates and bid him enter!" 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

"I would hazard a guess and say all peoples here have the same problems. While they may look united on the surface there are forces at work to divide them. Even my own people are not as tightly bound as one would think. We have a history of being a loose collection of people, but maybe all save the dwarves and the elves are also not as united as they seem. We are far away, and ways are dark and treacherous. This may be even a greater reason why the Forest Road must be finished, so as the Firewatcher says the Southern way is long and now perilous."
T. Gingras

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h :00: 2 :dmg: 9 Edge 8 Injury 16

tomcat

Oct 26, 2020, 06:13 AM #43 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2020, 06:20 AM by tomcat
"Agreed, Hathcyn. Always has it been that the courts of Men are rife with those who seek greed and power, and so are willing to do dark things to attain such ends. Gondor's civil war is a testament to such things, and so it shall be here, whether they be Man, Dwarf, or even Elf. Each will seek out his or her own goals, but to what level are they willing to go to do so?" Not waiting on a reply, "I believe that is what Gandalf spoke of - not wily words and devious intentions - but ill actions."

"You believe he brings warning that someone here seeks to actually harm one of these lords?"

Esgalwen's eyes shifted once more to the crowd of men and women in the hall and wondered at their minds. Looking to Arbogast, "His last words to me were, keep your watch, Ranger, and keep it well. I believe he warns of ill will. I believe he warns that someone here, or maybe some folk here, have nefarious intentions and are willing to act on them." Looking to the Beornings and those Woodmen that had made the crossing, "Do any of these folk play agent to Viglund - a slaver and stealer of women and children? Does he - or his son - not have a hatred for our dear friend and his people?"

Hathcyn bristled at the thought of agents of Viglund being among the Beornings, "I know my people. Those present are true to their master and lord."

Arbogast chimed in with a word of precaution, "But do we know their hearts, Hathcyn? Even the people of the Vale - my folk - are of mixed allegiance and have intentions of their own. We must take Gandalf's words and try to understand the wizard's mind... which is said to be subtle and thus a great challenge."

"I will say that he also spoke of the Shadow - that which we fought on the highlands of the North Vale and that which we felt when we entered the dark fortress in the south. Gandalf said it is present here in the north now and it is drawing evil things to the shores of Long Lake."

"Then maybe it is a force of orcs, or other fell things, that he speaks of?" asked Arbogast. "The Lake-town fisher-folk warned of the presence of trolls along the southern marshes and we fell victim to the cruel orcs in their warren, not long ago! Esgalwen, you have spoken of the many bands of orcs that you have dispatched with your company of riders from Dale. There has also been warning of cruel men from the east, raiding once more into Rhovanion. Perhaps there is meant to be a major strike against Lake-town while these kings are out from behind their walls?"

The Fire-watcher's voice became earnest with warning, but the Dúnadan wondered, "I don't know, Arbogast. To me, if there were armies building up along the shores of Long Lake, Gandalf would have spoken of such. It is said he was there at the Battle of Five Armies and surely he would not keep such dangerous news wrapped in mystery. No - I believe the wizard speaks of subterfuge and evil acts. Gandalf told me and now I have told you. It is on us now to speak to the lords and masters of these lands and let them decide what they wish to do with such information."

Hathcyn sputtered, "But what information? What do we warn? Lord Grimbeorn," he mocked, "there may be someone nearby that wishes us harm!"

Esgalwen did not rise to the Long-spear's tone, "I do not know the mind of the wizard, my friend, I can only relay what was said and question what now needs done. Perhaps I could have asked a more direct question of Gandalf, but he was on his way as quickly as he appeared. That said, I do not believe he would make an effort to find me and give warning of only vagaries. I believe that we must keep our watch and be more vigilant than ever."

Hathcyn nodded in agreement and all three looked to the people in the hall. Delegates from distant lands mingled and spoke over offered cups and crocks, all in the hopes of unity. Each wondered now if there was a wolf among the sheep.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"I would lay but one word of caution upon them entering is that woe follows that man, for each time we've met, an evil has befallen the land that has lurked in shadow.  Pray take heed and redouble your men about the gates and all that you hold dear.  I would that we prevent it this time before it strikes again successful," admonishes Grimbeorn.