• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 04:50 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Kurgak At Bay

Started by Eclecticon, Aug 09, 2020, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

"How do you read this riddle?" Euric asks as he frowns at the crushed reeds and disturbed mud. 

Esgalwen dismounts with a splash and looks closely at a confusion of Mannish footprints, surrounded by a ring of churned mud and the occasional clear prints of smaller goblins.  To one side lies an area where at least one large weight has fallen. 

The Ranger moves here and there, seeking this sign and that, until a glint in a puddle catches her  eye.  Reaching down, she plucks up a small silver coin bearing the likeness of King Bard from the water.  Grinning, she tosses it to her second in command. 

"There was a struggle here, not between the goblins and their captives, but between the captives themselves.  Yet look closely and you shall see not a drop of blood shed.  Here," she points to the site of the large and heavy impact, "I believe two of them fell with their burdens, spilling much that they carried." 

"Why would they do such a thing?" 

Esgalwen's grin broadens as she pictures her friends feigning rage until they topple into the muck of the marsh.  "To delay those that we pursue.  They know that we follow them, and they cannot now be far ahead!" 

Though Euric remains outwardly stoic, his voice, when he orders scouts forward, betrays a grim satisfaction.  His tone is the same hours later, as the sun begins to descend beyond the Mountains of Mirkwood to the west, when they return.  "We have found our quarry, Lady, not half a mile ahead." 

In the same waning light, Hathcyn, Grimbeorn and Laeral, who have slept but little through the sunlit hours, shiver beneath filthy blankets and watch the northern horizon for any sign of the rescue that must, surely, be now close at hand. 

:ooc: Esgalwen has finally come within striking distance of Kurgak's band and their prisoners, and the time has come for her to plan her approach.  For the moment, the goblins are unaware of the fact that they're even being pursued, and they weren't able to reach ideal ground to rest by the end of last night. 

The Barding scouts report that the goblins are spread out over a pair of low islets separated by a watery channel a bit over a foot deep.  The four largest are on the westernmost islet, along with what looks like a fair amount of baggage.  There are between three and six captives on the lower eastern islet, surrounded by smaller goblins keeping them under a somewhat desultory guard. 

Mechanically, we'll handle this the same way we did the skirmish at the steading a few chapters back – Esgalwen will fight a number of enemies in single combat, roughly proportional to the difference in numbers between the two sides.  When she's done, she'll make a Battle roll to see how well her followers got on.  Because of the fact that the goblins aren't bunched up, and they'll presumably have to keep the prisoners from escaping, she can try to engage then piecemeal, which will lower the TN of the Battle roll to 14 (it would normally have been higher, reflecting Kurgak's cunning tactics).  She can, of course, make a Battle roll at the start of the fight to see how much initial tactical advantage she can squeeze out of the situation.

Prisoners, fear not!  You will have a perfect opportunity to mount a desperate escape while Kurgak's most capable fighters are dealing with an unexpected attack.  Keep in mind that you have been stripped of all your gear (anything valuable will be in the loot pile on the other islet).  Once any fighting gets going, you can make attacks using your Dagger skill either bare-handed (maximum of 1 Endurance, :g: results don't create piercing blows, but do allow for special narrative effects - suggest something and I'll probably okay it) or with an improvised weapon (normal Dagger damage etc) if you spend a round to make a Search roll. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen listens intently to the report from her scouts, asking questions about numbers, land features, mud, ice, and any other thing that could give any advantage to the orcs. She knew that another battle was before them, but if she could limit the lives lost - especially those of her friends - it would help in keeping the seemingly ever-present shadows out of her nightmares.

:ooc: Okay - let's do the mechanical stuff first, and oh boy do we need a good roll here!
TN 14 battle 2d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 4, total 10

I will use a :vv: at need.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Aug 10, 2020, 05:20 AM #2 Last Edit: Aug 11, 2020, 06:45 AM by tomcat
:ooc:  :)
Now that is a respectable result!

With all the information before them, Esgalwen and Euric put together their attack plan, while the others in the company listened.

"We will make a two-prong attack. Upon this islet, our archers will position themselves and rain arrows into the goblins keeping the prisoners. You must be careful with your shots, for I will not lose any of my friends to the stray arrow." The Dúnadan emphasized her words as she looked at the men who would take this position. "The remainder of us shall charge into the fray from this direction and use, if not the speed of our horses, at least their mass to drive into the enemy. I fear the fens will not allow us to use speed to our advantage, but we must hit hard and quickly as possible."

The sun sat in the afternoon sky and they all knew that the Orcs would be in greater disarray under its light, and so they would need to take advantage.

"Once we have entered into melee against the goblins, you will immediately redirect your shots to the other islet where the larger orcs camp. Whether we are to engage them in melee will be determined by how quickly we can free the prisoners and get them away from danger. It is not my intent that any of us die in these forsaken fens, so we must work together and watch each other's flanks. Archers, your job is to suppress any opportunity for the orcs to advance into our ranks. Everyone else, it is your job to defend your companion, especially those that have reached a prisoner."

Inside her it was gnawing at her mind. The fear. The doubt. The desire to not make this decision - or at least not let it be hers. Esgalwen had fought with this idleness now since the battle of Stoneyford, and still it clawed at her decisions. Thankfully Euric spoke up and confirmed all that they had planned - his strong voice restoring the woman's confidence.

"You all know your tasks. See to them! Archers make sure your bows are strung and quivers full. Chargers, make light the burden for your horses, as we will be coming out with more than which we go in. See to your swords and lay the whetstone upon them once more - we ride within the hour!"

It was not a war cry from Euric, but the man knew how to raise the morale of the company. There was a number of muted HUZZAHS not because the men were not ready, more so as not to give away their presence.

With all set to ready, the Company of Dale mounted and began their quiet approach to where the orc raiders camped.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: A couple other rolls I will add to give us any other potential advantages to go along with the Battle :%: success above...

Explore to navigate the fens and get into a place from which to attack
TN 14 (?) explore 2d
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 5, total 9

Stealth to approach as quietly as possible
TN 14 (?) stealth 3d
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 1, total 8

Awareness to listen to the fens and try to detect any dangers
TN 14 (?) awareness 2d
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 2, total 4

Awe to boost the morale of the men
TN 14 (?) awe 2d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9

I will use :vv: at need, if any of the above will make a discernible difference in our attack.

tomcat

Aug 10, 2020, 05:36 AM #4 Last Edit: Aug 10, 2020, 05:38 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Sweet! Not too shabby.

• She gets a presumed 18 success on Explore and should be able to navigate the company into its planned attack.
• She rolls an :~~: on the Stealth, which equates to an 8 result but with a favoured :vv:, it will give me a potential 15 success. If the 15 is not enough, or the :~~: a worse result than just being a 0, I will not use the :vv:.
• She rolls a 12 failure on the awareness roll. Again, I will spend a :vv: if this makes a big enough difference in the engagement. Otherwise, they are still pretty aware of their surrounds - just there's a lot going on.
• And leading from the front, Esgalwen hopefully inspires her men (which is what that roll was supposed to be - I actually have a 3 in Awe).

tomcat

Aug 10, 2020, 05:53 AM #5 Last Edit: Aug 10, 2020, 06:09 AM by tomcat
The horse hooves clomped in the mud and ice with each step, or worse swished the water through which they passed. Still, Esgalwen was pleased with how quickly they had moved into position and now began their approach. She drew forth Nimronyn and the blade shone in the afternoon light. It felt good and reassuring within her grasp.

"I do not understand these orcs and goblins," said Euric in a hushed voice. "You would think that they would have traveled under the canopy of the woods instead of these fens. Surely we would have been unable to find them within the expanse of Mirkwood."

The Dúnadan shrugged. "I do not know. Perhaps they feared the Elves of the Northern Wood more than aught else? Perhaps the Spiders of Mirkwood allow none that walk on two legs to pass through their region? We can leave such speculation and questions for the orcs when we have driven them to ground."

Euric gave a cruel smile and nodded in agreement, as both leaders spurred their horses forward. They were now in position to charge.

Not far from the two islets, but on an advantageous one of their own - the Dale-men archers took up their own position and set feather to string. They tested the wind strength and direction, and made mental calculations of distance to their targets. They also espied the prisoners to better make careful their aim.

There came a clamor from the opposite side of the orc-held islets and the horns of Dale began to sound. The attack had begun and arrows whistled into sky.

:ooc: Paul I have attached a picture of the Lake-town region. Can you let us know where on the map we might be having this engagement.

I also included a diagram of what I picture in my mind for the battle layout, to help better explain my dialogue above. If it is nothing like this, please feel free to alter my plan as needed to fit your battle layout.

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's a lot of rolling!  I didn't have much in the way of mechanical effects in mind for most of it (particularly Stealth - there's no way you're hiding a patrol of twenty odd men approaching on horseback), but it's always good to see people being engaged. 

Your map of the skirmish area is pretty bang on, and I'm happy with the flanking manoeuvre given Esgalwen's great success in the Battle roll. 

Bear in mind that the Bardings aren't great cavalrymen, and even if they were, the long marshes aren't great terrain for fighting on horseback.  Using the rules from Horse Lords of Rohan (which I had to look up, damn your eyes), you'll be able to make a charge, but you can't roll more success dice on an attack roll than you have points in Athletics (i.e. you'll be limited to 1d12, 2d6).  You may prefer to do the whole thing on foot. 

As for the overland map, the one you've supplied doesn't match up to the TOR ones perfectly, but I've marked the approximate spot with a star. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: One last thought before I settle in to wait for Doug - the companions being held prisoner have ample time to watch the approach of the Bardings (though they won't necessarily have any idea who they are), so I'm going to make Search rolls for you to see who can find a stick or a stone in time to have an improvised weapon in time for the skirmish. 

Arbogast
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4

Beal
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Grimbeorn
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 6, total 10

Hathcyn
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

Laeral
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 2, total 3

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: So, Hathcyn and Grimbeorn will start off armed, as will Laeral if you spend a Hope point, Alyssa (though you may be better off waiting for a slain goblin to drop a spear).  Arbogast and Beal... are going to have to make do with their fingernails and teeth. 

:csu: for Grimbeorn.  Tom, I'm going to go back over the old posts from this chapter to do a quick audit of Hathcyn's rolls - I suspect he has some APs to mark off. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: with a  :g: any chance I can get something that will actually be effective?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sorry, mate.  The :g:, while giving you an automatic success, only gives you a basic success.  Grimbeorn's rock looks a lot more dangerous.  It isn't, mechanically, but it looks that way. 

Character sheet