• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 02:23 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Lone Tower

Started by tomcat, Mar 21, 2020, 05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 21, 2020, 05:36 PM Last Edit: Mar 22, 2020, 06:08 AM by tomcat
The new day broke with clear skies and sunshine. Though still cold, the bitter chill of the few days prior seemed to let go as the sun warmed their bodies.

Boots and pants were still a little rigid, but they had mostly dried out and the companions knew it would not take long for their bodies' heat to finish the job.

To the north of their camp, a trail of broken snow and mud marched west. With their gear packed and weapons girded, they commenced the chase once more. The forest loomed darkly across the horizon but it added a comfort to the men. It was Mirkwood, it was their home and it was familiar - unlike the rocky land around the lake. Marching for another two hours, they saw a structure break the horizon in its unnatural fashion.

The stone of the broken, old tower was white from the sun. The roof was broken and fallen in and the walls no longer looked sturdy. Still, the path led towards it. Laying low in the near-bare foliage, the companions debated their course.

:ooc: Okay, you guys are a distance off from an old, broken tower. It looks mannish in make, but maybe it was once a Dwarf-tower that might have been built along a northerly road to Erebor. You can't tell. You guys are hidden as best as you can be in a copse of woods and scrub. What would you like to do?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

"Well, we didnt come all this way for nothing. Shall we approach?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Mar 23, 2020, 02:17 AM #2 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 03:01 PM by Eclecticon
"Stay your hand," Arbogast counsels, "for we know not whether our quarry lie within, nor their numbers if they do.  More than once in recent memory have we suffered after rushing recklessly into battle."

As Hathcyn's expression sours, he adds "besides, though no mason am I, it seems to me that yonder tower stands unsteady.  Perhaps observation will show some weakness we might exploit."

Oh, for Anar to be here, he adds to himself.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

"I'm not meant for skulking and nor the inclination.  If you wish to circle about, be my guest.  We have time and it'd likely be better to wait until twilight to approach if there is no more advantageous route," said Grimbeorn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

"Then I will keep watch while you find shelter.  It will be good to have your eyes sharp and your sword-arm fresh when they are needed." 

:ooc: Arbogast will find a spot where he can observe the tower without exposing himself too much and watch the tower for signs of movement.  He is Patient, so I submit that he can keep a fairly constant watch for several hours at least. 

Stealth roll (if required):
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 6, total 11

Alertness roll:
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 1, total 6

Character sheet

tomcat

Nestled in a copse, Arbogast watched the distant tower for movement, but only birds could be seen. Sleek raptors sat atop the crenels and broken roof, eyeing the surrounding snow-covered prairie for the rare rabbit or groundhog that had not yet settled for the coming winter. Occasionally they would take to wing and pounce on a target, or climb higher into the blue sky to scout. Smaller birds also flitted about, keeping clear of their larger relatives.

The tedium of the watch caused Arbogast the occasional yawn, but he was patient - a trait learned all those years of sitting and staring into fires. And then... movement. A shadow within the shadows of the old tower. Something moved.

The sun had crossed the sky to twilight and whatever may lay within was beginning to reveal itself.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'm guessing that Arbogast can't get any idea of the size of the thing, or whether there's more than one of it?

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Arbogast whistles in a passable imitation of a kite, attracting the attention of his companions.  When he sees them watching, he points to the tumbledown tower and slightly raises his axe.  Though he remains silent, his meaning is clear: something within stirs.  Be ready. 

:ooc: Doug, unless you have any objection, I'm going to make a retroactive Craft roll to see whether Arbogast has spotted any exploitable defect in the walls of the tower.  Given his low score, I'm not expecting anything to come from it but he'll take any tactical advantage that he can get. 

:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Character sheet

tomcat

Arbogast could not discern numbers only movement, and the tower itself though dilapidated, did not reveal a weakness that they could exploit. His efforts were proving useful but also creating more questions. Who was in there? Orcs or bandits? How many were there? Should he and his two companions disturb this unknown hive?

Dusk now lay over them all and soon his keen eyesight would be useless. The companions sat quietly contemplating their next decision.

Fortunately, it came for them.

With the sun slowly lowering in the western sky beyond the forest, a pack of individuals emerged from the shadows of the tower. Six? Eight? The diminishing light made it hard to tell, but the group began to march to the north and east towards the marshlands - running almost parallel to the broad trail that had been left before. Were these individuals another party of foragers - or raiders?

Neither group knew the other was there, nor were they aware of another set of eyes that kept watch.

Eclecticon

:ooc: I vote we get a bit closer to see what's what.  Any objections?

Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 31, 2020, 07:30 PM #11 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2020, 08:37 PM by tomcat
From her place in the woods, she watched as a band of the villainous goblins once more set off to forage and steal. The sight of the creatures brought forth a wrath as it always did - a desire for vengeance upon them for all of the hurt they had brought upon her folk. And long was her memory, for she was a High Elf, born into the world not long after the fall of the last realm of Arnor.

Her name was Laeral and she had come from Rivendell for a purpose all her own. Long had she walked the world in search of the treasures of the Noldor and Sindar to return them to her people, hidden as they were within their conclaves. But these were no mere treasures, like the gold and silver trinkets of mortals - these were the treasures of the Elves that were bound to Middle-earth and the lands of Aman now lost to them all. These were the treasures that helped change the world.

The goblin raiders were fading from her sight - not due to the failing light of day, for her eyes were keen and could see many things equally well by starlight. No, the raiders were disappearing into the foliage and depression of the marshes. Laerel's eyes returned to the tower. It was an old structure built by the Men of Rhovanion and it was the end of a trail that she had been following. She had heard that beneath it lie a warren of tunnels and caves and therein a pile of booty stolen and squirreled away by the orcs. Perhaps among the baubles of Men and Dwarves might lay a piece of her folk's history. Perhaps a sacred treasure might lay within, tossed aside by one of the creatures who would have been pained by such an item as those created in Gondolin!

For what were orcs anyway, but mere mirrors of their master - the greatest thief of all!

tomcat

Mar 31, 2020, 07:43 PM #12 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2020, 07:51 PM by tomcat
:ooc: All right, Aly - you have been introduced. Feel free to pick up the narrative for your character as you would like.

I will set the scene for you guys and you all shall act within it how you please. If you feel a test is required for an action you wish to perform, feel free to roll it (see Paul's posts above). Target numbers in this game are at a base 14, but if there is a greater - or lesser - challenge I will let you know.

Feel free to add and create within our story as you wish - we are all writing this little addition to Tolkien's world. Still, as Loremaster, I will control the world around to present you all with the challenges your characters might face. There are times I will need a roll from the PC's and I might roll them for expediency's sake - you guys will react off the results within your narrative and dialogue. Sometimes I ask for the rolls and wait for you guys to do them - it all depends on how quickly we need the results for the overarching narrative.

There are times I will add dialogue for your characters in my posts, but I will do my best to stay 'in character' with how you present your PC's in your own posts. If I get something wrong, don't hesitate to let me know and I will retcon the changes into the story.

There are three icons in the buttons above that allow you to roll within the posts - maybe Paul has shown you how they work? If not, here is a link to a thread that gives instructions on How to Use Our Forum

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I write all story narrative and dialogue in the standard black font.

I write all my general out-of-character in the maroon color.

I write all hero mechanics in the navy color.

I write all enemy mechanics in the red color.

You do not have to use colors, but if you do please stick to the same scheme. It helps me find things when I am scrolling up and down a thread.

Lastly feel free to use the emoji/icons in your mechanics to substitute for words you don't want to keep re-typing (i.e. endurance :<3:, eye :~~:, great success :%:, armor :<>:, etc.)

Telcontar

Hathcyn whispered, "let us move forward, raid their warren, and ambush them upon their return."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

"Close enough to dispatch this filth? I am all in favor of.  Doing it now or later makes no difference other than giving them a chance to get away."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16