• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:15 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Long Lake

Started by tomcat, Feb 19, 2020, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

:ooc: Wow.  Arbogast, I'm a little disappointed in you. 

He's helped a bit with the Hunting roll, but he'll need at least one assist with the Explore, even after spending a Hope point. 

Doug, I'm assuming we're in winter travelling gear, so failed Travel rolls lose us three Endurance?

Tom, the character sheets are now in Doug's Dropbox (Share_SW -> PBP-Games).  Hathcyn is here
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Actually guys, I moved away from Dropbox and to Google Drive.

You will find your PC's here: Share_Rpg
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: i have three in Hunt, Travel, and Explore. Let's try explore.

Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 6, total 10

Arbogast, do you not converse with the birds? Perhaps they will aid us in a direction or in filling our bellies.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Mar 15, 2020, 02:57 PM #33 Last Edit: Mar 15, 2020, 04:17 PM by Eclecticon
Quote:ooc: Actually guys, I moved away from Dropbox and to Google Drive.

You will find your PC's here: Share_Rpg
:ooc: Gaaah noooooooooooo!  Great is my shame!  Look down upon me! 

Fine then.  I've :csu: ed Arbogast's sheet, but I don't have permission to re-upload it.  You'll have to take it on faith that I'm recording things honestly.

Also, Hathcyn's successful Explore roll gives Arbogast a bonus die - let's make use of that! 
:00: 1d6 : 4, total 4

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: That puts Arbogast one point below what he needs to navigate us out of here.  Matt, if Grimbeorn can make an Explore DC 12, you'll have saved us all! 

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn trudges through, more than slightly perturbed at the environs.
:ooc:
LOL the one skill he doesn't have...
 :00:
Travel -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 6, 5, 2, total 17

Explore -  1d12 : 8, total 8

He'll toss a Hope at the Explore if it'll help
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Mar 15, 2020, 06:15 PMGrimbeorn trudges through, more than slightly perturbed at the environs.
LOL the one skill he doesn't have...

:ooc: It's interesting to think about what the lacunae in the characters' skills say about them. Arbogast has next to no general knowledge, but he can talk your ear off about Mirkwood, the plants you find in it and the history of the people who live in and around it. He has pretty decent Awareness but no Search.  I bet he spends a fair amount of time looking for his helmet because he forgets that he's already wearing it. 

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Mar 15, 2020, 06:15 PMHe'll toss a Hope at the Explore if it'll help

Nah, keep your Hope, mate.  You have less to spare.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

In response to Hathcyn's question, Arbogast spreads his hands and looks to the sky.  The gesture eloquently conveys his meaning: the sky is empty and the half-frozen marshes that surround them are quiet and still.  It is as if only Men and orcs are foolish enough to be abroad. 

And yet, this is enough to remind the companions of their grim purpose and the three turn their minds once more toward the finding of a path, and of signs of the passage of fell things. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 21, 2020, 02:51 PM #38 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2020, 05:40 AM by tomcat
Arbogast led them on through the marsh, from highground to highground and one small islet to the next in a long chain of dry land. The path seemed haphazard as it took them in their chosen course west, only to have to turn them around to follow from one islet to the next in line. It became confusing and often did they need to stop to regain their bearings.

Slowly the sun crossed the sky above the grey clouds.

Atop each of the small isles was scrub plants that were leafless for the winter and their bare branches reached out to grab at pant, tunic, and strap. The men grumbled with each new islet that was reached having to scramble and pull themselves up and their bare skin was lanced with scrapes and cuts.

While Arbogast scanned the fens before them, the other two rested. Hathcyn grimaced as he pulled at a long thorn that had pierced his palm, the pain sharp still even once freed from his skin. He rubbed at the wound as some apparent, residual poison within the plant's sticker irritated the flesh.

Looking around, the marshes went on in every direction as far as could be seen. Just to their north, a dead, bare tree rose from an islet like a skeletal finger pointing west. Atop the branch sat a carrion bird, big and black. Its head flitted left and right as it sought out whether or not the trio would soon be food, but its judgement knew better and it took to wing. They watched it flap lazily to the west and disappear in the foggy haze that lay over the land.

"If only we had wings, too," said Hathcyn as they idled. His friends did not respond.

Pushing on, they continued at their task and the day continued to pass. At last, Arbogast gave an excited signal - an expanse of water lay before them but just beyond the land clearly rose out of the marshland. Only the frozen water barred their way and no clear way back or around could be seen.

Not waiting for a choice, Grimbeorn snarled and slid down into the water. He quickly gave a curse as the water rose to just above his knees, but he pushed on crossing the pool to the rise of land beyond. His companions looked at one another and then followed in quick pursuit.

It took five minutes of slogging through the marsh-weeds, deep mud, and the freezing cold but at last they pulled themselves up onto firm land. Snow covered the ground all around them, as they lay on their backs panting from the exertion.

"We must light a fire, or we shall freeze to death," said Arbogast shivering in the bitter wind.

"Lighting a fire is sure to mark us to any threats that might be near," answered Grimbeorn.

"Will it matter either way," was the response.

Hathcyn stood and pulled at the wet clothes that clung to his legs. He could find no comfort and wondered what his exposed skin would do if he removed the items. Glancing around, he could see a muddy path in the snow made by heavy boots, not far from where they had exited the marshes.

"It would seem your tracking skills were not hindered by strange land, or horrid terrain, Arbogast." Though the Fire-watcher found little comfort in the praise.

Instead Arbogast moved to the edge of the marshland and grabbed up any wood he could find and pulled the dead bramble that would make for good kindling. If they did not start a fire soon, this land would kill them - more easily than any goblin with a bent knife.

:ooc: First - is anyone experiencing a slow-down in the website? Every time I change from page to page, or thread to thread, it seems very laggy.

Second - although no one gave me a successful hunting roll, I gave you guys the success of coming out near the orc trail.

Third - Tom, you did not give me a Travel test and so I will go ahead and mark your sheet for 3 fatigue points. If you roll one and it is a success, we shall go ahead and take those away.

Lastly - I need someone to make a Craft test TN 14 to start a fire that will last the night and keep you guys safe from cold.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Their day has been long and hard but it has only hardened the resolve and fury of Grimbeorn.  "If these goblins would just show, that would kindle a fire enough for me.  Get your rest, I will get the fire going and the first watch."

Grimbeorn has Hardy, does this help him with the conditions?

Craft -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 3, total 9

Add a Hope if necessary.

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: Great fire-starting roll, Matt!

And yea - the Hardy trait definitely sees Grimbeorn through the extreme conditions of the night.

For the last rolls, I need both Arbogast and Hathcyn to make a Body roll (Grimbeorn passes with his trait) at TN 14 to get through the night with no fatigue gain. I will make it quick and roll it now. You guys will gain 1 advantage dice for the fire.

TN 14 Body by PC
:00: Arbogast 2d+1d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 1, total 11

:00: Hathcyn 5d+1d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 6d6 : 5, 1, 1, 4, 3, 3, total 17

tomcat

Mar 21, 2020, 05:08 PM #41 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2020, 05:38 PM by tomcat
Grimbeorn collected all the wood that Hathcyn and Arbogast brought him and he began to pile it in the lee of a small rise that broke the wind. He hoped, too, that it would shade the light from any eyes.

With the mound of fuel piled high, Grimbeorn struck his flint stone to a length of rough steel and watched as sparks rained down on a length of frayed hemp. Nothing. He did it again and a spark caught and the small piece of old rope began to smoke and glow with fire. The Beorning lifted it to his lips, while cupping it and he slowly blew life into the spark and a flame appeared. Grimbeorn tucked the burning ember into the pile of wood and leaves and after a moment a popping fire grew. The trio continued to feed it until it was a controlled, and sustaining fire - and then they sat to rest.

Peeling their wet boots and pants off, they propped them to dry from the heat from the fire and the wind. All the while they sat close and drew their heavy furs over top feet and legs. It took some time, but soon their core temperatures had returned and they settled into sleep - each taking watch as needed.

The night passed.

Save for some glowing eyes that skulked in the shadows along the marsh, nothing approached their camp.