• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 03:46 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

River Reeds and Empty Warrens

Started by tomcat, Nov 27, 2019, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Grimbeorn hauled the remaining orc out of the mud and quickly pinned him to the ground. Across the water, the cries and curses came from the retreating orcs, but the companions ignored them. They were no longer a threat - at least until the sun fell at the end of the day.

Esgalwen went to Hathcyn's side. The Beorning was breathing hard and bled from a grievous wound. The Dúnadan inspected the area intently then looked up with a grim smile, "Well you're not dead yet, my friend. Another blow as this might have sealed your fate. Still, I see no sign of poison, so you are fortunate. I will clean it and get it wrapped. Arbogast, stay close as you are next."

She looked over to where Grimbeorn interrogated their captive, but quickly returned to Hathcyn's needs when the man groaned. The pain came from her overzealous cleansing of the raw flesh and his eyes exclaimed the point. Esgalwen gave a sorrowful smile, "I will be more gentle."

:ooc: I will turn it over to you guys for the interrogation, but here are some Healing rolls for Hathcyn and Arbogast:

TN 14 healing 3d
:00: on Arbogast 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 3, total 12

:00: on Hathcyn 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 3, 3, total 8

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I am going to call a trait into play for Esgalwen - Old Lore - which I am going to apply to the healing roll for Hathcyn. She has old Dúnadan skills that help her make the 13 a success.

If anyone disagrees, let me know.

PC sheets in Dropbox  :csu:
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast feels keenly the weariness and light-headedness that accompany the loss of much blood, and he knows that he has not the strength to match wills with the company's latest captive.  Instead, he staggers to Grimbeorn's side and says quietly to the larger man "find out, if you possibly can, where his host abides and how many they number.  We must know if the Enemy is massing upon our threshold."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn's face and tone were flat.
"I'll be by the river looking at tracks. If I stay here I'll kill him."

The wounded Beorning slowly made his way towards the river.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

"We've had enough of your kind this day.  Spill your guts lest I do it for you," growled Grimbeorn to the captive.

:ooc:
Awe -  1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 4, 4, total 11

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Between the fearsome Beorning and the onset of day, the craven orc could do nothing but stammer and cry out for pity between every demand. It was not always clear, but soon a picture was drawn from the information gathered.

A power had risen within the Gladden Fields - an unspoken name that commanded the orcs of Dol Guldur and even those of the Misty Mountains. Evil men there were, too, and all paid homage to this Gibbet King. Grimbeorn pushed harder for more information, but none more would the orc reveal. The thing merely hissed and spat in its hysterics, crying out that the voice would allow no more.

tomcat

Dec 04, 2019, 04:29 PM #6 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2019, 09:34 AM by tomcat
Esgalwen looked on in distaste, as the orc cringed. "What do we do with it?" she asked, though a part of her mind knew what needed done. There was no redemption for these creatures - they could not ever be anymore than the tainted shadows of their Master's power.

Looking to Hathcyn and Arbogast, the Dúnadan inquired, "Do you have the strength to pursue this course further? Or should we take what we have learned and return to the camp?"

What had they learned? she thought.

Only that orcs reside within the marshes of the Gladden Fields? What of the skulker that they sought? What of the murdered Toft-men? Or the dead Easterlings? What machinations were now at play?

Esgalwen's sword arm was weary, but there was more to be done. Whether here or in the north where men were being summoned to the king. She looked at her companions awaiting their response..

Eclecticon

Arbogast turns toward the Dúnadan.  "I am for turning back," he says.  "Much blood have I spilled here, and it will be weeks before I am once more ready to raise my hand in battle.  Hathcyn, I fear, is in a similar state." 

Looking back towards the captive orc, he continues, "moreover, we have learned much of value: that a host gathers in the Gladden Fields, and the name of its captain.  Should we perish that counsel will die with us.  We will accomplish far more of good by biding our time than ever we could by pressing on in search of vain glory." 

Finally, understanding his companion's question, he spits upon the sodden earth.  "We all know what must be done with it," he says, his voice tight with pain and fatigue.  "It cannot be left to bring word of our presence to its master."  And let those whose arms yet have strength within them do the deed.  I have done enough this day. 

:ooc: Not getting a knife out and finishing the orc off himself is, admittedly, a dick move.  This is Arbogast's resentment coming out when he's at a low ebb. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

The long spear blade of Hathcyn flashed in the light as he buried the tip through the shoulder and along the spine of the creature. The Beorning had returned from the River's edge.

"I will go where Grimbeorn goes."

Hathcyn moved away a ways and sat by watching the river flow.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Once again, heavy sits the mantle of leadership -- both a crown he desired and a loathed all at once.  "No more can we do now.  We should away back to the camp to relay what we've found and see if other news has come since we left.  Let us dispose of the carrion and be off; this land is befouled enough wither they tread, let not their blood cause further stain."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

The orc bodies were piled irreverently by Grimbeorn and Esgalwen, and once done, the quartet moved back north to where their horses awaited. Mounting up, they pointed their course back east towards the Field of Heroes and then home.

:ooc: As Paul stated in another thread, this is a good thematic moment to end this chapter. I will open a Fellowship Phase thread for you each to post what your PC's will do for the rest of the year 2955 TA.

Our story will reconvene with the new year, 2956 TA, and the call to the north.

Any changes in PC statuses - retiring, bring back an old character, etc - will also be noted in the new Fellowship Phase.