• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
 
Aug 22, 2019, 11:58 pm

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!


Mounted up

Started by tomcat, Aug 14, 2019, 09:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

The decision made and approval given by the remainder of the council, Esgalwen led Grimbeorn, Hathcyn and Arbogast from the tent. Behind them, Mogdred and his folk marched off in their own direction. They knew that though neither side would hinder the other, there would be no mutual effort made.

"Where do you lead us?" asked Grimbeorn.

"We need horses. I am sure you have access to a paddock here, but our tent is not far and we have a number of strong horses ridden here from Dale."

They entered the Barding camp and then men there looked to the ranger. As emissary for Bard, Esgalwen was essentially their leader - though her lead was limited, as she was not a Barding.

"M'lady?"

"We need three horses, Ornolf, for Grimbeorn and my other two companions. Have the pages saddle mine own along with the others."

"M'lady? Why?"

"There has been a murder and Grimbeorn has been chosen to lead a party to retrieve the perpetrators and I will accompany them. The horses shall be returned in good time, but time is at a premium and our camp was closest."

"Very well, Esgalwen, I shall see it done." Immediately the man strode off to see that the horses were prepared. It took just over the amount of time needed for each hunter to gather their personal effects. The men noticed Esgalwen was once more adorned in her ranger greens and the cloak given them by the Elves of Mirkwood.

With all ready, they quickly rode to the campsite where the Toft-men were killed. If there was a trail, it would start there.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Okay - time for some narrative / dialogue and some rolling of dice! It's been a while.

Let me know what your character wants to do to start this merry chase and I will be working on some journey rules and tests.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

"Are we not to join the others? I told Mogdred that I would ride with him, and a pursuit of our own will sew little solidarity among these rival clans."
T. Gingras

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h :00: 2 :dmg: 9 Edge 9 Injury 16

Eclecticon

"Your offer was handsomely made, Longspear," Arbogast answers.  "But Mogdred, in the absence of wise counsel, lives as if it were still the dark days before the death of the dragon, seeing enemies all about him and hoarding his trust like a miser's silver.  Had you followed him, and not Esgalwen, I do not think that he would have suffered you to ride out with him." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: This is good dialogue - feel free to choose as you please, though. I am not railroading the game for you guys.

"I agree with, Arbogast, on this - but I do not lead here. I merely have provided a resource to allow an expeditious start of our task. I defer to you all as to what and how we deal with this issue. If you feel it wise to ride after Mogdred, then let us do it, Hathcyn. It is not my intent to keep you from your word."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"If they speed off and catch someone along their path, that is all well and good, but we intend take the slower route so as to ensure any signs weren't missed.  Whomever killed the men is someone not to be trifled with given the details gleaned by the careful eye of our friends. We can only hope that Mogdred and his folk don't take matters into their own hands, meting out their justice on the spot," said Grimbeorn.

Telcontar

"Harder it will be to temper that wrath if he rides only with his own people. Who will assuredly drive him towards a rasher outcome than a peaceful one."

"The wolfslayer has spoken, let us take the slower road and see what may be seen."
T. Gingras

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h :00: 2 :dmg: 9 Edge 9 Injury 16

tomcat

Then let us away and hopefully find the truth, so as to assuage any rash actions."

:ooc: Okay - time for our first roll. This will be for the characters to find a trail from the tent and to be able to follow it.

The TN will be only 14 and each PC must make the roll. The cumulative of their rolls will be added and must achieve at least a 48 for total success. If a character individually fails, it is okay as long as the remaining three's cumulative achieves the group goal. I will roll for each PC to keep the game moving:

Hunting
TN -- skill info
:00: Esgalwen 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

:00: Arbogast 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 3, total 8

:00: Hathcyn 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 2, total 12

:00: Grimbeorn 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 3, 6, total 14
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Aug 16, 2019, 09:33 am #8 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2019, 09:37 am by tomcat
:ooc: Nice!

The companions did not need to spend a great deal of time at the murder site. The transit in  and out by the assailants was relatively clear, though there had been many new feet since the killing. With their course before them, they rode off in haste with a hope that they would be the first to overtake the perpetrators.

Once afield, the task became more difficult as the wind blew the tall grasses and seemed to make the path shift. Mogdred and his people had gone before them at great speed - the horses' hooves digging out divots - which only muddled the track further. But the hunters were good and they had spent many days in such pursuits.

The morning sun rose and crossed through its zenith - the heat of June already oppressive. Greens - a multitude of greens - was the color that filled their vision until it at last met the distant gray of the mountains and then the azure blue.

A perfect day if not for the situation.

Somewhere between them and the Misty Mountains was the Anduin River but it would take the day to get there.

It was at mid-afternoon that Hathcyn stood in his saddle to better see before him - riders approaching. The quartet gathered close together and prepared weapons in case this was a new trouble, but their fears were for naught.

Mogdred rode at the lead - a grim look upon his face. "Heh! I see you tarried," he said when the two groups were within range of speaking.

"We have carefully followed the path to assure that the murderers did not separate," answered Esgalwen. "I see you riding in the opposite direction. Did you find something?"

"Yes. Your efforts have been futile, as was our more direct approach." Mogdred pointed behind him, "Maybe five miles in that direction you will find them - three dead men - filled with orc arrows. Looks like they were feathered as they ran. They are naught more now then carrion."

"Who were they?"

Mogdred shrugged as he shook his head, "They are no folk that I have seen - bandy-legged and swarthy. But they are dead and my people - at least in a way - avenged." The Toft chieftain spurred his horse forward, "Feel free to keep riding after them, you will surely find them where the buzzards float on the wind. For us, this matter is complete."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Hathcyn said nothing, it served their phrpose for Mogdred to consider the matter closed. Yet, in the mind of the Longspear he wondered, what about the other creature the lads spoke of?

This would require more investigation.
T. Gingras

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h :00: 2 :dmg: 9 Edge 9 Injury 16

Eclecticon

The feeling of a new journey beginning is a familiar one as Arbogast rides out in the company of his companions.  But it is not long before he is seized by a new and unfamiliar feeling of panic at the thought of leaving his wife and daughters behind.  What if some fell adventure should befall them while he is absent?  In this dark mood, the myriad terrors and dark things of Middle-Earth seem to him to be everywhere but where he is, and to conceal themselves in every place but where his gaze currently falls. 

So it is with a manic relief that he hears the news of Mogdred, and only a distrust of the man that is by now habitual makes him suggest "we ought to see these bodies with our own eyes".  For in his heart, he wants nothing more than to turn once more for the Field of Heroes and ride until he has his family in his arms or his steed drop dead beneath him. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn responded, "I'll never forget the steading and what the orcs did there. If there are Orcs about then i shall set my sights upon them. Even our foes they shall not kill with impunity."

Hathcyn spit upon the ground, "I am already geared for war, now a new quarry shall feel my spear. Which way did they go and in what number?"
T. Gingras

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h :00: 2 :dmg: 9 Edge 9 Injury 16

tomcat

:ooc: I will update the story tomorrow, guys. I thought about getting something done tonight but I am exhausted.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]