• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 17, 2024, 03:47 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Games - Day 3

Started by tomcat, Jun 14, 2019, 05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

"Lindwine abides..." Arbogast pauses, considering his words, "well enough, as do the twins.  But it has been a cruel winter indeed for my family."

He tells the story of Wilone's murder in spare words, and finds as he does that he is becoming numb to the pain that the recitation, delivered in similar terms to distant kin, and more recently to the two Beornings, once brought.  It now pains him barely more than does seeing the growing expression of horror and grief on Esgalwen's face.  In the end, his tale stumbles to a halt. 

"But enough," he says.  "Since that day, the stars have kept turning and my broken heart has kept beating, perverse though it still seems.  The Shadow continues to wax in large ways and in small, and I have many days still to see out before my duty to my people, and to my friends, may be discharged."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn was glum, "the shadows touch leaves deep bruises wherever it's fingers find purchase and long does its wounds sting, but there is ale and sunshine and ways and means for a man to prosper yet."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn bristles slightly at Esgalwen's questions, teasing though they are.  "I remain unattached as ever.  There has been the notion I put myself out there," eyeing the other two there, "but I will not.  There are other matters more pressing; it is not my time.  Yet I agree with the King of Dale, we should do what we can to strengthen our bonds of kin- and comradeship. Much has been gained thus far and more will in the coming years."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Hathcyn smiled, "well then have a care Wolfslayer, for should my cattle prosper and the Dwarf road bring me fortune I'll make Aestid my own wife. If you will not take her then I will gladly. A proud, beautiful, and strong woman with a Chieftain as a father will make a good wife for you, and if I manage it, a better one for me."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"Then go with my blessing *if* the lady will have you," replied Grimbeorn.  "I'm afraid such a union with me may actually incite renewed retaliation from the Viglundings.  My station and how I carry it, I'm afraid, has widespread consequences for not just our people but all the peoples here."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

Relieved that the conversation has turned away from his affairs, Arbogast seizes on the new topic. "And what news is there of Viglund and his folk?  The threat of war looks ever larger there, it seems, and precious few travellers bring their tales to the ears of the Woodmen."

Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen shook her head, "I have heard little of the Vale since I left."

And so, instead, all eyes turned to Grimbeorn.

:ooc: Matt, I turn this over to you and give creative license to tell us what is happening with the Viglundings.

Remember - their hall was burnt, the slaves freed, and his daughter taken. Final fact is they are still kinfolk to the Beornings.

With all of that, I give you the freedom to define what the relationship is right now between the two folk. I will build our story on what you tell us. Be as detailed as you like - if you decide to take the easy way out and be very cryptic that is fine, too, but either way I will work with what you give.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Hey guys looking back through the story, I can see where this conversation has been brushed on before and I don't want us to have to go round in circles with details.

Matt - give us what you want to define the relationship and we will make it short and sweet.

I am going to post either tonight or tomorrow the end of this scene and bring us into Day 5.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: i was interested in the player contribution of where this is at. Seems appropriate for where we are at.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sorry - probably my fault for not checking more thoroughly.

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I agree, Tom, and it is totally cool, Paul.

We can keep the thread going. I just didn't want you guys out there thinking we keep recirculating the same conversations. Granted, I just did it with Esgalwen and Arbogast, but it seemed the natural flow of things.

So - forget my post above! I am fine with the conversation keeping a natural progression. I just don't want you guys to be scratching your heads and thinking, "Didn't we just do this?"

;D

GandalfOfBorg

"The Vigs are still recovering.  Not to say they haven't continued to harry our people's but some have also accepted our aid and even come to us for a better life; there are even a few here. Aestid has been integral helping those that come to us.  Otherwise, progress has been made on the road. The land and it's people continue to recover from other incursions and the hard seasons.  Now you find us here."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Grimbeorn was thorough in his discussion of the lands north of The Carrock and the others listened with silent attention, only interrupting to ask the occasional question.

When that part of their conversation ended, the topic of the last winter and the trek into the forest was brought up. They spoke long on the ghost hall and the boldness of the spiders, but soon this grew old, too. Their attention and banter turned instead to the more enjoyable activities around them. They found a place to sit near the archery range and watched as the competitors matched skills. There were many times that what looked like a win was suddenly thwarted by an underdog archer who placed the better shot. Each time this occurred, the crowds either grumbled with disappointment or burst into a raucous cheer.

The quartet of friends enjoyed picking their expected champion, laying minor wages, and then getting the opportunity to exploit some pleasant razzing of the loser. Arbogast smiled to see his large Beorning friend swell with pride at the presentation of his kinfolk. The young scion stood and called out Huzzahs with each well-placed shot of Jorra and Halla, hoisting his cup high and splashing foam as he did.

The Fire-watcher could not help but give an inward smile as the large man deflated when first Jorra was bested and then finally Halla, too, submitted defeat. The day went to the folk of Rhosgobel. Esgalwen laughed with each verbal prod at Grimbeorn's pride, until at last she gave an apology for going too far - Grimbeorn standing and storming off to find another ale.

When he returned. "Forgive me, Grimbeorn," smiled the woman. "May you find comfort in the cup, but still your people did well."

A pull on his ale and a grumble was all he gave in reply and the other three laughed.

Arbogast stood, "I must away. Lindwine is somewhere with the children and the day grows old. I am sure her patience with me has also met its limit." He gave Esgalwen a hug, "It is good to see you, dear friend! It pleases my heart to have all together once more."

"Tell your wife it was me that kept you busy for the day, Arbogast, and let her know that I will come find her tomorrow to see her and the children. I miss her beautiful smile and seeing her strength of body, mind and heart."

With Arbogast gone, the three companions gave idle attention to the last two games, but Grimbeorn's mood could not be changed. It was not long before they, too, stood and gave their goodbyes for the evening and went their own ways.

Day three of the games was over. Already the totems of games past were being dropped and the new - of clans who were champions - were being cut, painted and raised.

The sound of handaxes chopping wood went well into the night.

GandalfOfBorg

This day, even the ever-bright Eosca was muted and deigned to give much of a day's review. Though the Carrock's representation was acquitted themselves well, still no champion has yet to be crowned.  Fear not though for thishere is still more left to the games.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

Hathcyn grew silent and reserved when the topic changed to ghost hall. He said little and offered less. The conversation left him as glum as his Chieftain.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear