• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:35 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Games - Day 1

Started by tomcat, Jun 06, 2019, 06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

With a theatrical flourish for the amusement of his daughters, Arbogast grips the route and begins to heave, leaning steeply to lend what assistance his lean body might provide...

:ooc: I'll do an Athletics roll for him, though it's not one of his go-to skills!

:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

The stone is beyond heavy, seeming to actively resist his attempts to shift it.  But, cheered on by his wife and children, he does not relent.  With a great, red-faced cry he finally raises it up to hang pendulously above the ground.  Then turning, he advances in tiny, terrible steps, breath rasping, eyes fixed on a point directly ahead.

Both rope and timber creak in protest with each footfall as he continues to advance.  Finally, he can go no further.  His strength is spent and the stone will no longer move.  With a breath that is almost a sob, he lets go and collapses.  It is not until a few moments later that he becomes aware of Cyffa screaming with joy and pride, "You did it, Dah! You did it!"

"Stars above," says the stallholder.

Character sheet

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Okay, I am going to make the final roll on the log-toss, and we will get to the final two for the log split:

Log Toss

Buran of Woodmen Town
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 5d6 : 6, 2, 5, 3, 2, total 18

versus

Udele of Black Tarn
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 5d6 : 4, 5, 2, 1, 1, total 13

Log split

Rignuth of the Black Tarn
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 5d6 : 5, 6, 1, 1, 3, total 16

versus

Garold Tomes of the Toft
Rolled 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 6d6-3 : 3, 3, 4, 2, 4, 5 - 3, total 18

Ulfwine of Sunstead
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 6, 2, total 12

versus

Feldon of the Carrock
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 6d6-3 : 4, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4 - 3, total 25

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I need to make an injury roll for Feldon. Since he is automatically injured due to the :~~: , I just need to make sure he is not killed by making a Feat die roll

Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

tomcat

Jun 10, 2019, 07:08 AM #35 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2019, 03:46 AM by tomcat
The sun was beginning to fall into the afternoon sky and many of the of prospectors of the games were becoming anxious for the brew judging slated for that evening. The games were exciting and there had been many upsets, but the idea of finishing the night with crafters' draughts was now heavy on many minds.

Through elimination, the last two contestants of the log toss were taking the field. Buran of Woodmen-town yielded the first toss to his competitor, Udele of the Tarn, as she was a woman and that is what was done. She hoisted the log into her stirrup and then commenced to run the allowed length of field and heaved with all her strength. The log flew end over end through the air and Udele smiled as it also got the right bounce, falling to give her an additional length. A great cheer went up from the crowd - mostly from those who called the Black Tarn their home.

"Great throw, woman," said Buran in a cheerful manner, though Udele was sure she heard frustration in the man's voice. How great it would be for her to take the field this day in what was usually a man's game. "Good luck," was her only reply as Buran readied his own log.

The man ran and with a loud grunt of strength, he tossed. Udele knew she was beaten as the log went into the air. It flew up straight into a great arc only to land and cartwheel five lengths down the field, leaving her own log behind by a length of two.

It was done.

The crowd, quiet at first, erupted into a cacophony of noise. Buran turned to see his opponent's face fall and for a moment he lost his own pleasure in the victory. He strode over to where others of his team stood about and they each clapped him on the back. The man filled two mead cups from the team's keg and he walked them over to Udele, handing her one at his approach. She took it and smiled and the two embraced in a sportsman-like hug.

"Good throw, sir."

"Good game, lady."

On the other side of the field, the last four competitors in the log split readied themselves to bring this game to a conclusion, too.

First, Garold Tomes of the Toft and Rignuth of the Tarn set against each other. The match was close as the Badger smashed his axe into the logs that were set on either side of him, but it was Garold that cleared his set first and crossed the line. A great cheer went up among the Toft-men, but there was an ominous silence from the remainder of the crowd.

Tauntingly, Garold Tomes walked towards the crowd with an axe held high in each hand, "If you wanted to win the field, you should have brought better!"

Ingomer quickly called for silence and that civility of the games be kept. While he did, the rows were set once more for the other two remaining contestants. Ulfwin of the Mires of Sunstead checked his leather haft-grips to make sure they were tight. Across from him, Feldon of the Carrock stood at the ready. The Beorning was huge compared to the Sunsteader standing almost a full head above him and seeming to be double his girth. Still, the confidence that came from the eastern-man was evident.

The match started and the two raced the rows, hacking as they went. Feldon held the lead and was but three logs to finish, while his smaller opponent still needed to clear five. But there was a sudden pop as the Beorning's axe split a log causing it to splinter. A shard of wood flew up and struck Feldon in the eye. A scream came from the crowd as the man toppled backward and fell, his hands free of his axes and grasping at his wounded face.

Knowing that he must finish his row to win, Ulfwin raced to chop the remaining logs and once done, rushed to Feldon's side. A crowd had grown around the wounded man and healers were quickly called. Though the scene became more about a rescue, the judges still called Ulfwin the victor and he was advanced to the final.

The small Sunstead-man would face off against the giant of the Toft.

tomcat

:ooc: The last roll is coming.

Matt, your :vv: spent on Feldon is not regained, as he did not win the entire bracket. So, before the last roll is made, does anyone want to throw in a roll to help the Sunsteader? Or the Toft-man?

Telcontar

:ooc: i'm good. I'm trying to play catch up.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Hathcyn watched his Woodman friend move the rock, but he was wary as to the legitimacy of the game. Was there some trick to the action of the string, or was the game as simple as it appeared. The Beorning studied the game to see if he could detect the actual workings of the contest.

Awareness
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 6, 1, total 13
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jun 10, 2019, 10:27 AM #39 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2019, 10:30 AM by tomcat
:ooc: the game is as it appears - the stones are large and appear to be more than most men could lift, but still fair.

I meant to have a scale for Paul to make his roll against, but he rolled and gave me narrative so I am going to stick with it.

But for any others:

TN 14 - moves the rock forward a few feet, but it does not lift
TN 16 - the stone is moved and hoisted a few inches from the ground
TN 18+ - the stone is moved and hoisted a good foot from the ground

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sorry, Doug - I should really have checked with you before I posted a narrative.  I only had a few minutes before I had to go into an exam, though, and the scene was fully formed in my head. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: It is totally fine, Paul. I think your narrative is perfect and you rolled the average, so it works.

There was no game breaking moments here.  ;)  ;D

I just meant to give the scale and I forgot, so it is on me. In the end it works, and Arbogast has a souvenir ceramic stein!  (-D It says something corny like, "Dad went to the Field of Heroes and all I got was this ceramic stein!"

Eclecticon

:ooc: Yeah, but it says it in runes, and therfore looks cool. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Okay - the games for Day 1 come to an end. The brewers now sample their craft and the judging is done. I will roll the tests, but feel free to add any end of day narrative that you would like.

The Carrock, Woodmen-town, Woodmen Hall, Sunstead, and Rhosgobel are the brewers (+3 bonus for The Carrock).

Skill levels in order above:

Rolled 1d4+2 : 1 + 2, total 3

Rolled 1d4+2 : 1 + 2, total 3

Rolled 1d4+2 : 2 + 2, total 4

Rolled 1d4+2 : 4 + 2, total 6

Rolled 1d4+2 : 4 + 2, total 6

tomcat

:ooc: Craft rolls with the above brewer skill levels:

The Carrock
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6+3 : 4, 2, 4 + 3, total 13

Woodmen-town
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 1, total 10

Woodland Hall
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 4d6 : 3, 2, 4, 5, total 14

Sunstead
Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 6d6 : 1, 2, 1, 2, 5, 5, total 16

Rhosgobel
Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 6d6 : 2, 2, 2, 6, 5, 1, total 18