• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:29 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE - YEAR END 2954

Started by tomcat, Apr 08, 2019, 08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

The settlement of Old Ford on the eastern side was in ruins.  The eastern-most bridge of the three that hopped across the broken expanse of the Anduin was cut.  On the western side, many boats and barges were docked haphazardly as there was not enough room on that side for all of them.  Men could be seen milling about the eastern side making repairs and cleaning up while others walked in small patrols about the area.  Outside the area of the settlement, tendrils off smoke can be seen leading up from a large pile of ash.

Before Grimbeorn and Hathcyn made it any closer, they were seen by one of the patrols and told to halt with spears drawn.  Within a respectable distance, the son of Beorn introduced them and as the patrol got closer there was a visible release of tension from the men.  "Lord, we are much relieved to see you.  Are there others with you?  We sent for aid as soon as the impending attack was discovered."

"Who or what attacked you?" Grimbeorn asked, as they all fell into step while approaching the settlement.  But before the men responded, he could finally make out the remnants of fell creatures, orcs and spiders of Mirkwood.  "How long ago did this transpire?"

"A week has passed since we repelled the final assault," came the response.  "We have not received word from any of our allies nor from Carrock or other locations within your lands from our call to aid.  Caravans out of the East ceased a week ere to that.  All those seeking to cross from the west have either halted or turned back until we could secure this side."

"Our losses were many defending the bank when we finally cut the bridge, but their losses were greater.  They were never able to secure this side when mounted a counterattack or attack into or across the river.  The spider host was particularly vicious, turning on the orcs and dragging them back to the wood, when they found they couldn't overcome us."

The recounting continued on as the group entered the remains of the eastern settlement of Old Ford.  Grimbeorn grieved silently for their losses and it concerned him more that no word or came from his father or the Wood-men allies in the area.  These thoughts cut off when a blast of a welcoming horn came from across the river at the western settlement where a small band of Beorning warriors emerged from north in the distance.

[more to come]
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 17, 2019, 05:47 AM:ooc:
Undertakings
1) Heal Corruption...

:ooc: Don't forget, if he's in the Beornings' lands he can Return to the Carrock and use his Travel skill to do the same thing.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: One last mechanical thing - by my count there were five Fellowship points in the kitty at the end of the last adventure (one per PC, plus one for Grimbeorn's magic bikkies).  Unless anyone remembers taking a point out, I submit that we divide them up one each (meaning Anar takes one with him as he goes), plus one extra to make sure Grimbeorn doesn't go back to being Miserable. 

Comments?

Character sheet

Telcontar

I see no reason to give Anar a point unless you mean his contribution is gone because he left the party.

Also, I forget, did Hathcyn use one from the pool when he spirit walked in the forest. I forget where we landed on that. We can retcon that if he did because If I recall he didnt use any other hope.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Crossing the river, the two Beornings greet the troop as they approach.  The leader is one known to Grimbeorn, who's holdings are from in this area.  "Our apologies but this troop marched from the north as soon as we got word of the attack.  Unfortunately the delay is due to our people be harried by the Viglundings again and goblins out of the mountains to the west.  Our warriors are spread thin and crops go fallow as we lose the men's presence and our new generation is large but not old enough to tend to such responsibilities."

"Besieged on all sides, we are.  It's almost as if it were coordinated.  The Shadow seems to grow over the north vales of the Anduin.  How fares my father and the thegns?"

"The squabbles are louder but no family has gone unburdened by service and loss.  The Great Bear appears where it seems most dire, turning the tide of many a skirmish and causing grievous wound to the enemies.
 Word from messengers of the allies in the south, and beyond the Wood tell of dark tidings and similar travails.  It is told that Beorn received an emissary of the elf-realm speaking of fell creatures, especially spiders growing more bold and amassing in places previously thought free of them."

"I shall think on this more," he mutters.  "You arrival is much appreciated by the people here.  Check in with the garrison on the eastern shore for they will have need of your arms.  Hathcyn and I will return to my father's home ere the light of the morn."

Days pass and their return comes almost unheralded as the lands they pass through are busy with healing the hurts of battle and the pressing need to maintain crops and herds.  Grimbeorn distributes the treasure he returned with from Old Ford to the north as weregild for his people's losses.  Nothing can replace the loss of loved ones but gifts help to stabilize the people. [All 12 Treasure is dispersed]

Arriving home, Hathcyn takes his leave to attend his own business and Grimbeorn finds his father in the great hall with a number of thegns.  The son finds a warm welcome from his father but cold eyes from some of the others.  He recounts what transpired in the wood, the dealings in Sunstead, what happened at Old Ford, and the other tales he's heard since returning.  The story-telling was hungry and thirsty work for the day turned late and tables were set by his father's animal vassals.  When all was said and done, questions asked and answered, Beorn sank into his great chair, retreating in grim thought much like his son had in his days since leaving Rhosgobel on the fateful journey for survivors.  The thegns eventually left to their quarters or homes for the Great Bear didn't reply to queries; they would return soon enough, they always do.

Grimbeorn took his leave, avoiding his father for the time and sought comfort in his family's traditions of baking and brewing.  Ere long word came of problems from the road rebuilt and he set off with a small company of men to help with the road.  In time he would return with new stories and fresh scars as is standard when coming from the dark wood.

:ooc:
If Doug doesn't mind, I'll try the Healing Corruption again with Travel...
 :00:
Travel -  1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 1, 4, 3, total 12

Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Did we have a final tally on Hope regained per person?
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

Quote from: Telcontar on Apr 18, 2019, 01:58 AMI see no reason to give Anar a point unless you mean his contribution is gone because he left the party.
:ooc: Harsh!  I'm just going on our standard practice - it's not his fault he turned into an NPC. 

Quote from: Telcontar on Apr 18, 2019, 01:58 AMAlso, I forget, did Hathcyn use one from the pool when he spirit walked in the forest. I forget where we landed on that. We can retcon that if he did because If I recall he didnt use any other hope.
Yes, he spent one back here

So, currently we have Arbogast and Hathcyn taking one point each, and Grimbeorn taking two.  If Anar doesn't take a point (due to lingering mental scars from his forest ordeal) then perhaps Hathcyn can take an extra one.  Doug may or may not have a view on this.  Otherwise, it may as well be your call, Tom. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: you guys keep the Hope, Anar will not need it. Don't forget Tate and Esgalwen's contributions to the Hope pool. Even thought they left in the early part of the year, their efforts bolstered everyone - so see the Fellowship page.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Huh.  I assumed it was only the characters who actually went on the adventure that contributed. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Normally so, but you guys were hit hard for resources so I am allowing it.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Cool, that's two extra Hope points to play with.  Grimbeorn needs one, maybe both. 

Also, while I've got you, Doug, did you want to hit Arbogast with any mechanical consequences for Wilone's death?  A Corruption test to avoid a potential two-point Shadow gain seems in keeping with the rules.  If you want to go that way, you can use the following roll against a TN of your choice:

:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 2, 5, 5, total 16

Character sheet

Telcontar

Grombeorn I think needs the Hope more.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

So he gets 2? 3?  Sorry, kinda dense today.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear