• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:26 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Ghost Hall - Hathcyn

Started by tomcat, Mar 21, 2019, 06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 21, 2019, 06:04 AM Last Edit: Apr 02, 2019, 07:24 AM by tomcat
Situation: The company has entered the Hall of Ghosts

Encounter/Combat Advantage dice:
• Hathcyn 0/0 die

Situation Modifiers:
• The Hall has Initiative
• Encounter Tolerance is 1/5

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• none

PC/NPC PARRY :+~:ARMOUR :<>:HOPE :vv:END :<3:STANCE
Anar
Arbogast
Grimbeorn
Hathcyn

5 (shield n/a)
6 (shield +3)
4/7 [giant strength] (shield +4)
4 (shield n/a)

3d (helm n/a)
2d (helm +1)
2d (helm n/a)
2d (helm n/a)

8/8
11/16
5/12
10/13

12/30 WEARY
13/26 WOUNDED
15/31 MISERABLE
23/29

Defensive
encounter TN
encounter TN
Defensive

ENEMY PARRY ARMOUR HATE END NOTES
Hall of Ghosts

2d

2/10

31/40
• none

STANCES

Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward Stance maneuvers
:<>:Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open Stance maneuvers
:<>:Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive Stance maneuvers
:<>:Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1

TN 12+ parry
Rearward Stance maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents Athletics roll. On success,
may safely flee from the scene of combat

Hathcyn entered the longhouse.

CLUNK!

And there it was - the sound he had faintly heard from without when each of his companions had entered. He was in complete darkness, but now there was silence. No longer did the cries of others whisper at his ears.

The Beorning staved around with his spear to see if he was in jeopardy of tripping, but the floor seemed bare. He made no sound as he moved forward into the dark, but his mind raced as to what was happening and where his friends had gone.

Slowly, before him, a faint lamplight began to grow. No...it was a hearth and a small fire burned within casting flickering shadows all around. In the light, he could now see furnishings scattered round. The figure of a woman was there - her back to him. She sat upon the floor and cradled something within her arms. Hathcyn heard her voice - it was familiar.

"Eat, baby, please." The voice was full of earnest and sadness. "It is not much but it is something. You must stay strong. It will be spring soon...the men shall return and they will have fresh game."

A heavy sob.

"Please...eat."

Hathcyn could see that her hand was filled with dirt, or sawdust?

The child's body stiffened with a spasm and she held it tighter as it convulsed. That was when the now stretched out form was visible - a small boy - and slowly it turned to look towards Hathcyn. The Beorning saw two, milky-white, dead eyes stare into his own.

The woman became suddenly aware of him, too. She turned towards him and he recognized her feral face. It was Ubhala, his Lady Thornapple, and she held her dying son, Roderic.

"YOU!" she hissed. "You left us! You left me to this! He is gone! I hate you!"

Letting the boy's body fall clumsily from her arms, the thing that was once Ubhala raced at Hathcyn with death in her eye.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: One quick test...

FEAR
TN 16 valour 1d
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Yikes! An :~~:!

Well, I hope you enjoy Iceland, Tom, because your boy, Hathcyn, is not enjoying his little piece of horror!  >:D  ;D

He cannot use any Hope in this encounter while he is daunted, and I think I am going to say he has a Bout of Madness in this particular instance.

Telcontar

:ooc: yeah, that roll is wxactly what I expected.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Hathcyn saw the beast, he saw the vision, but he knew nothing. He descended into mindless wrathful violence. He tore at his clothes, he pulled at his beard, he foamed at the mouth near incoherant. Then the spear settled in both of his hands and he raged at any and everything without thought, without care, without reason.

:ooc: take it away Doug!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Ubhala came at him and Hathcyn spat at her with words cruel, "When I found you, you and your whelp were lost with nothing! Woeful of a dead husband and father! Scared of losing thy precious animals! Nothing, I say! You were nothing! It was me that gave you back your life, wench!"

In his spiteful, feral, attack, Hathcyn could not hear Ubhala giggling to herself at his words. Nor could he see the boy sit upright on the floor and leer at them both with a horrid smile upon his face.

The spectral woman slashed at him, even as his spear stabbed towards her heart.

tomcat

:ooc: Okay - the house will have initiative each combat round. Your punishment for this bout of madness will be that Hathcyn is in a Forward stance and he negates his first attack. It essentially is wild.

Also, he gains a permanent Shadow point and gains the Spiteful flaw.

Claws - the woman's hands are terrible claws...
TN 10 claws 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 1d6+8 : 2 + 8, total 10

:dmg: 4   edge: :~~:  injury: 14

tomcat

tomcat

:ooc: ROUND 2

As the house has the initiative on everyone, let me do the next round of attacks and you guys can then give me your actions.

We will not be doing individual rounds in this thread, but I will header my post within each with the current round number.

Hathcyn has recomposed himself after his spiteful wrath, and you now have control again Tom. I am going to assume he moves to at least Open. Let me know if you want differently.

The ghoulish woman attacks Hathcyn again...
TN 13 claws 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6+8 : 3 + 8, total 11

:dmg: 4   edge: :~~:   injury: 14

tomcat

Mar 23, 2019, 09:21 PM #9 Last Edit: Mar 23, 2019, 09:50 PM by tomcat
Hathcyn feels the claws rake his leather shirt, even as he calms and and is able to understand his situation. This time the fiend was unable to draw blood.

Telcontar

Hathcyn may have been calm, but it was not the calm of reason it was the calm of battle. He guaged his foe oblivous of his surroundings or any other intellectual understanding of what was transpiring.
He stepped back, leveled his great spear and struck again.
Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 3, 1, total 9
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Mar 29, 2019, 08:00 PM #11 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2019, 08:14 PM by Eclecticon
:ooc: Hathcyn's strike would ordinarily have hit, but the Hall's Great Might ability reduces the level of success by one - a basic success becomes a miss - and the Hall suffers no damage. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Hathcyn roars as he strikes, plunging his spear through the ribcage of the false Ubhala.  The ghastly spectre only laughs, however, the sound emerging as the unclean bubbling of foetid waters.  Holding the young Beorning's eyes, she takes a step forward, and another, the shaft of the spear jerking in Hathcyn's hands as she approaches, forcing her body further and further down its length... 

:ooc: ...and attacking once she's in range.
the Hall
TN 10 claws 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6+8 : 1 + 8, total 9

:dmg:4 edge :g: injury 14

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: No injury to Hathcyn, though.  Want to describe how he avoids it and responds, Tom?

Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 30, 2019, 12:44 PM #14 Last Edit: Mar 30, 2019, 01:08 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Another excellent set of posts.

I might just retire! ;)

As Paul said, give your return actions for this Round 3 and then I will start Round 4.