• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 06:43 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Ghost Hall - Grimbeorn

Started by tomcat, Mar 20, 2019, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Mar 20, 2019, 05:16 PM Last Edit: Apr 02, 2019, 07:23 AM by tomcat
Situation: The company has entered the Hall of Ghosts

Encounter/Combat Advantage dice:
• Grimbeorn 1/1 die

Situation Modifiers:
• The Hall has Initiative
• Encounter Tolerance is 1/5

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• none

PC/NPC PARRY :+~:ARMOUR :<>:HOPE :vv:END :<3:STANCE
Anar
Arbogast
Grimbeorn
Hathcyn

5 (shield n/a)
6 (shield +3)
4/7 [giant strength] (shield +4)
4 (shield n/a)

3d (helm n/a)
2d (helm +1)
2d (helm n/a)
2d (helm n/a)

8/8
11/16
5/12
10/13

12/30 WEARY
13/26 WOUNDED
15/31 MISERABLE
23/29

Defensive
encounter TN
encounter TN
Forward

ENEMY PARRY ARMOUR HATE END NOTES
Hall of Ghosts

2d

2/10

31/40
• none

STANCES

Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward Stance maneuvers
:<>:Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open Stance maneuvers
:<>:Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive Stance maneuvers
:<>:Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1

TN 12+ parry
Rearward Stance maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents Athletics roll. On success,
may safely flee from the scene of combat

With brand held a loft, the Beorning scion entered the old longhouse.

CLUNK!

The darkness enveloped him, even as his sputtering torch cast out its light. He looked around him in all directions and realized there was no outside light behind. The door was closed.

Shapes littered the floor. Grimbeorn held his torch low to see and quickly gripped his axe in readiness.

Bodies.

Countless bodies with great cuts from axeheads, or feathered with arrows. It had been a great battle. He looked closer and it appeared that all the dead were his own...Beornings.

A voice boomed out in the darkness, "YOU DID THIS!"

Grimbeorn turned in the direction to see a new light casting down in the center of the hall onto a seat - one he recognized. It was his father's chair.

Standing before it, cut and bleeding, Beorn scowled in anger. "I left you to tend my home and this is what you bring us? Death? War? Kin-strife? The Vigs did not follow my rule, but they were our kin...now the prairie runs with the blood of my folk!"

Grimbeorn could see his father's back was covered in thick fur and arrows were pierced into his flesh. The great Beorning began to slather at the mouth in absolute hatred for his son, falling forward he changed form from the man he was into that of a massive bear.

RAAWWRR!

The brown bear charged forward, death in his eyes.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: A quick test:

FEAR
TN 16 valour 4d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 4, 4, 4, total 17

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

GandalfOfBorg

"Enough!" Grimbeorn bellowed to the room.  "You think you know me?! This is not my father.  These are not my people. This is not real. I do not fear what you show."

:ooc:
 :00:
Awe -  1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 3, 4, total 12

Use Hope if it will help.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: Okay, Matt - if you haven't already, read the Hall of Ghosts mechanics thread.

Your Awe roll was a success, which puts you into the Encounter with the Hall. You can attack, if you decide that is the better route, but each successful encounter interaction will reduce the Hall's hate.

The Tolerance of the Encounter is 5.

That said, it will physically attack at you with each interaction you make...

Slam attack - the bear charges in to slam into you
TN 20 slam 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 1d6+8 : 5 + 8, total 13

:dmg: 8   edge: :~~:  injury: 14

tomcat

Grimbeorn saw the bear stop at his challenge. The beast began to strafe left its massive head rolling back and forth. The two moved in a circle, but then the bear charged in slamming into Grimbeorn's shield with all of its weight.

The man was shoved backward and he felt the air leave his lungs.

:ooc: Grimbeorn loses 8 :<3:

tomcat

:ooc: ROUND 2

As the house has the initiative on everyone, let me do the next round of attacks and you guys can then give me your actions.

We will not be doing individual rounds in this thread, but I will header my post within each with the current round number.

The bear slams on Grimbeorn again...
TN 20 slam 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 1d6+8 : 4 + 8, total 12

:dmg: 8   edge: :~~:  injury: 14

tomcat

Wood chips from the floor where the great bear's claws rake after nearly swiping across the Beorning's chest.

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn is bewildered with what is going on.  A house out of nowhere, spectres resembling his father and his people, now a bear of significance but smells unfamiliar.  "Whatever this deadly game is, I didn't come to play.  Let us leave!"

:00:
Awe -  1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 4, total 15
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

The house shudders at the man's words and the great bear gives pause.

Eclecticon

:ooc: ROUND 3

Then, as suddenly as it had begun its violent assault, the bear vanishes.  As if fueled by its presence, the light that shone on the seat of Beorn quickly fades, leaving the hall dark but for the light cast by the torch left sputtering on the floor.  In the renewed darkness, Grimbeorn hears his father's voice, the words difficult to place, seeming to now to come in one direction, now in another. 

"After the death of the Dwarf-king, I beheld a people scattered and divided, made weak by distance and mistrust.  I brought them together.  I gave them law, and made them strong through unity.  I defended those who were yet too weak to defend themselves." 

Then, the hot breath of the great bear is suddenly on the back of Grimbeorn's neck, and the voice cries "THOSE LIKE YOU!"  Grimbeorn dives forward and lands heavily on the corpse-strewn floor, barely escaping the bear's gnashing teeth.  As he struggles to rise again, the bear renews its frenzied assault, bellowing all the while.  "A choice was put before me: save you or your mother, whom I loved beyond hope and reason!  And now, each and every day I curse the choice I made!" 

:ooc: The bear attacks:
TN 17 slam 1d+8
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 1d6+8 : 6 + 8, total 14
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Double-checking in the Mechanics thread, I see that the Hall's Attribute rating is 6, rather than 8, which makes that a miss (barely).  Good thing, too, otherwise Grimbeorn would be looking at a lazy 16 :<3: loss.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Mar 30, 2019, 12:42 PM #12 Last Edit: Mar 30, 2019, 01:05 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Awesome!

Yea, I adjusted the Hall's AL score down by 2 to 6.

I am sure that Matt is probably preparing to leave for his cruise. I will post for him tonight to move on through round 4.

tomcat

Grimbeorn shoved upward against the bulk of the brown bear, growling as loudly as the beast.

"You draw upon fears, feelings of doubt, all things that make a man weak! You attack our mind all the while striking at our being to draw our blood! What game do you play here? What terrible sin do you wish to share that you would draw lost souls into this trap to torture them so?"

With the strength of the bear, the Beorning shoved his 'sire' backward and it cowed to his tone.

"Well not this day! Maybe weaker folk of mind and body fall prey to you, but not today! Free us now! Free my friends from the torment you lay upon them! Disappear into this forsaken wood and haunt us no more!"

tomcat

Awe
TN 16 awe 3d
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 1, 1, total 4