• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:13 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Somewhere in the Wold

Started by Nashan, Jan 07, 2019, 03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Just an FYI, Tom...

You can put all your dice in the same [roll] function by just separating them with commas.

1d12,2d6,3d4+2

Etc.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc:  :| , well I'll be damned.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Nashan

As you get closer to Edoras, you come across more and more settlements. In Rohan, they are typically composed of a long wooden house, the common place in which men, women, children, and horses live together. Three to four additional buildings act as warehouses or cattle housings, mostly for sheeps, sometimes pigs. Wood palisades are rare but not unseen.
When the settlement grows too large to fit all the villagers in the long house, people move to their own house or share one with another family. In either case, some cattle is kept inside during the cold months to provide warmth. The long house becomes the sole dwelling of the alderman and his family, although it remains the gathering place to share food and drinks come nightfall.
All hamlets are required to provide footmen in time of war, and any men learn to use a sword and a spear when he comes of age. Not matter the size of his domain, the alderman is required to own a suit of armor, weapons, a horse, and a squire. The more riders he can afford, the more his status increases.

:ooc: It becomes nearly impossible to be spotted. Should you decide to try to sneak your way though anyway, it will require to travel by night and success a Stealth roll TN 16 (including the NPCs). Needless to say, being caught sneaking around in the dark is sure to brand you as up to no good.

A large settlement, featuring a fence, an Alderman long house, several family housings, a warehouse, and cattle housing. In Tolkien's Rohan, horses are of course overconsidered.

tomcat

:ooc: Would my Rohan-lore help at all with the Stealth tests?

Know what to look for, or what to avoid? Know the terrain - not necessarily of the immediate area - but know how the country's plants grow (i.e. tree groves) and how to use the rolling landscape to go unobserved?

If not, we will have to consider moving during the day and suffering each Alderman's demands as to our presence.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nashan

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 22, 2019, 07:00 AM:ooc: Would my Rohan-lore help at all with the Stealth tests?

Know what to look for, or what to avoid? Know the terrain - not necessarily of the immediate area - but know how the country's plants grow (i.e. tree groves) and how to use the rolling landscape to go unobserved?

If not, we will have to consider moving during the day and suffering each Alderman's demands as to our presence.

:ooc: it would lower the difficulty but no less than 12.

Telcontar

"Sneaking around may not put our friends here in a good light. They seek a home and safety, not to steal land. Would any of these foln know you here or may we just ride up and declare our bussiness in Edoras?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"I cannot believe that my name has come this far south," said Gárulf. "If anything, it may be known to a few of the marshalls and alderman who might rule the lands.

"We will seek Edoras in the open and keep Edelyn's people secure."

Nashan

Your attire finally betrays you, and a patrol of six riders recognizes you as no farmers or herders. You're hailed, and although they are not agressive, full armored Rohirrim mounted on war horses are an intimidating sight nonetheless. « Greetings, travellers. You are hereby in the domain of Thengel King, where no trespassers are allowed unless they have his leave. State your names and business at once. »   

tomcat

As the only Man of Rohan in their company, Gárulf spurred his mount forward keeping himself sanguine in his saddle and making no threatening gestures.

"Well met, Riders! I am Gárulf, son of Gármot, out of the East Emnet and we are traveling to Edoras. Upon the fields east of here, my companion and I came upon a haggard group of refugees who bade us take them to the King. Knowing his laws, I asked that only an emissary come with us to Edoras, so as she could make an appeal personally to King Thengel for sanctuary. We travel there now."

The Rohirrim holds his breath in hopes that his name does not proceed him - but he felt, too, that to lie would be woefully more dangerous. While he waited for a response, Gárulf turned back to his small company and gestured for the woman to come forward.

As she walked up to stand before them, her guide said, "Let me introduce Edelyn - she speaks for her people and seeks our aid."

:ooc: I am going to throw in an Awe roll to make sure Gárulf sounds confident and is unmoved by a host of his fellow countrymen arrayed before him...

TN 14(?) Awe 2d
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 2, total 8

tomcat

:ooc: I think this is worth spending a :vv: and securing the roll with a :%: success.  :csu:

Nashan

Quote from: tomcat on Jan 23, 2019, 07:09 AM"Well met, Riders! I am Gárulf, son of Gármot, out of the East Emnet and we are traveling to Edoras. Upon the fields east of here, my companion and I came upon a haggard group of refugees who bade us take them to the King. Knowing his laws, I asked that only an emissary come with us to Edoras, so as she could make an appeal personally to King Thengel for sanctuary. We travel there now."

"Refugees ? Indeed the king has to be warned. Ordgar, take Aescwine with you, and go tell the alderman we're heading to Edoras with travelers." The two riders nod and ride away. "We will accompany you. Edoras is not far away, but we will stop in the next village to borrow horses for the rest of you. That way we shall arrive tomorrow by dusk. "

:ooc: the Eorlings will probably chatter with you on the way, do you wish to keep the conversation going or keeping it as short as possible ?

tomcat

:ooc: I think Gárulf will speak as needed, but not be conspicuous either - like he is trying to hide something. He will leave the chatting to the Bree-man, as he seems to have a knack for it.  ;)

Telcontar

Courtesy Roll:
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 3, 6, total 14

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Doh, unless its a Hazard its also still a 14 great success. How do you want me to play that?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Nashan

Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 24, 2019, 07:26 AMDoh, unless its a Hazard its also still a 14 great success. How do you want me to play that?

:ooc: Unfortunately, a Sauron is an automatic failure. Doesn't have to be that bad though, probably some unwilling breach of etiquette due to your poor knowledge of Rohirrim customs.