• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:47 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Somewhere in the Wold

Started by Nashan, Jan 07, 2019, 03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashan

She nods and she gestures at you to follow. The three of you head back to one of the camp circle under the gaze of dozens of eyes. You can read fear and hope mingling in these stares. Your presence seems to kindle some strength back in the refugees, some chatter excitedly about soon meeting with the king and the prospect of having a place to settle brightens up their gloomy mood. Edelyn crouches by a fire and gestures for you to the same. She then hands you a water skin and some dried food hard as wood. 
« We got those from river folk some weeks ago. They said it was fish but we can't be sure. Some of us say the leather of their belts taste better but we have nothing else. Do you think the king will receive me ? » Again straight to the point. She stares as you intensively all the while and her blue eyes pierce you with their feverish look. She can't be more than seventeen yet you feel more resolve in her than in some of the hardened men you came across during your months of thievery.

Telcontar

Raghnall smiled and hummed a tune to himself as they walked through the camp. He greeted all the eyes upon him with a smile and a nod.

Crouching by the fire the northman warmed first his feet and then his hands.

He took what was offered and while he spoke he prepared the food. Taking a small pan from his gear he added water to the fish and reaching into his pouches he drew out some pine seeds and juniper berries.

"What you have here is dried fish. Needs a little water and a little something for taste, but we'll make it right up. Eaten as is surely will taste terrible, but we have fire and water. If you have a bigger pan I can get this going for more."

The nimble hands of the Breelander set to work in preparation.

"I cant say I know the goings on of any King or what drives them. Kings are only a memory and a pile of stone where I come from. But like any neighbor I imagine anyone who shows up, is willing to work hard, and celebrate the same feast days is always welcome. If not traveled that far yet myself, but we will join you I think if you'll have us. We know the land and its ways a little better and will help where we can."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Jan 17, 2019, 07:59 AM #32 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2019, 02:52 AM by tomcat
Watching the Bree-man prep the old, dried fish made a smile crack across Gárulf's weathered face. He was not an old man, but the bitter wind that could blow in winter made everything hard.

"Where do you keep all these herbs and berries, Raghnall? I sometimes think your hand will only find food when next it goes to your quiver."

Everyone stared on and each laughed at the sight.

Gárulf gave a sigh and stood. He left the fire ring and walked to where his horse waited. Reaching in the saddlebags upon its flanks, the Eorlingas retrieved the hard bread that he had stored there - his trail rations. With his last three loaves in hand, he returned to where everyone sat, but not before handing the bread to Edelyn.

"It is not much, but it is fresher than what you have. Slice it thin and add it to your stores...mayhaps the weakest can be fed."

"We have a new king in Rohan and I cannot speak for him, but it is said he is fair of word. I cannot guarantee your travails will not be in vain - but we can try. How soon will your folk be ready to move again? Or is it your intention to send an embassy from your people, whilst they wait upon the sward?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Nashan

Edelyn watches with amazement as Raghnall turns the unappealing food into a mouthwatering dish. More heads turn in your direction as the sweet smell spreads out. Edelyn's eyes now linger from the pan to you and back as she answers. « I'd be glad if you could take me to the king. I will go in embassy. My people need some rest, there's no point to keep moving, we don't even know where we would head to. We've seen the worse of the winter, I think they can endure for some more days. » She thanks Gárulf deeply for the bread, and soon the loaves are dispatched between the children and  the sick. Dusk is closing in. The refugees prepare themselves for the night. Edelyn offers you to sleep by their fires if you so desire.

tomcat

As Edelyn and her people settled in to sleep, Gárulf moved to where Raghnall sat.

Softly he asked, "What do you think we should do? I fear if we enter Edoras, we will not leave."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Raghnall stared into the fire and thought.
"I don't know. This is your country and your people. By law I too am an outsider here and should also follow these folk to Edoras and present myself. What is your fear? Will Edoras ensnare us or is it the obligations of your folk you are hesitant to confront? I do not judge you my friend I ask only to better understand our danger. I have traveled far from my home, but know only the ways of my own people. Other than the Dunmen I have seen no large settlement of people."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"What is my fear?" It was a good question. "I am not quite sure."

Gárulf picked up a stick and prodded the coals in the fire pit, "There are two possibilities - nothing could occur and we are ignored as nothing more than newcomers in Edoras. Or my name precedes me and they will know me for who I am. King Fengel held me as an outlaw for not answering the call to his Éored - a marshaling of riders. My own clan cast me out of our village, as you know, and I have lived the life of an outlaw ever since.

"I have not slain a man without cause, and never a Rohirrim, but I have taken from my folk without right and that is a punishable act. If our new King does not carry forward his father's decrees of transgressions, then I have no worries. Mayhaps they have no idea who we are, which would be good. But if they do...if the Marshall of the Mark has me noted then I fear we would be entering a trap with possibly no way out, or worse, death."

Nashan

:ooc: Feel free to keep talking, but make your Travel rolls TN 12 for the journey. I assume Gárulf will endorse the role of the guide (he has auto success thanks to Rohan Lore), and Raghnall the scout ?

Telcontar

"I see your point."

Raghnall thought a moment more.

"I dont think any of us really resemble who we were when we left home. There are many miles behind both of us. Perhaps a change of name is all you need to throw folks off enough to take no notice. Many of you horse folks all look alike anyway." Raghnall smiled, "the horses have more variety."

He laughed then, "I am sure you would say the same of my folk, for we are short, stocky, and queer of speech. Should we go to Edoras you could give a traveling name and say we dwelled in the west. There are small holdings of mixed Dunmen and Horselord there. I saw them on my way through and it would be unlikely that anyone who know enough to know which families lived there. Then we may see what type if man this King from the south is without exposing you to fine and punishment in blind hope."

Travel roll
Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 2d6 : 3, 6, total 9
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: travel roll

TN 12 travel 2d
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 2, total 3

tomcat

Gárulf nodded, "Then let us try."

Nashan

Jan 21, 2019, 12:18 AM #41 Last Edit: Jan 21, 2019, 12:24 AM by Nashan
You resume your journey toward Edoras shortly before dawn. Edelyn accompanies you, along with two of her men at arms. They have no horses unfortunately, and despite their good running pace you can't help but being slowed down.
You soon lay your eyes upon the endless plains of Rohan spreading from one horizon to the other, patched in places with the white remains of winter. Given some weeks, green hues will reign undisputed, but for now the grass is only waking up from its seasonal slumber.
Deserted as these lands seem, Gárulf knows better. You follow the Entwash river not only for the fresh water and fishes it provides, but also because Gárulf knows that the patrols from the west and the east both tend to leave their counterpart mind these border zones. Only once every ten miles or so stands a small guard post easily avoided.
Edelyn's henchmen turn out to be decent hunters and although game is scarce they provide the five of you with enough food to sleep soundly. Once again Raghnall's cooking skills work wonder and roasted hedgehog never tasted better.

The plains are easy travel grounds, no unwanted event troubles your journey. After three days, about half way, your guide instructs
you to turn southwest and cut short through the plain until you reach the Snowbourn river.

:ooc: Make a first Travel test TN14. Telcontar, you have two bonus dices should you decide to use them. Tomcat you have one. Your roll is reduced to TN12 given your Rohan Lore.

Telcontar

Tavel tn14
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Rolled 2d6 : 2, 5, total 7
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Bonus
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: travel test

TN 12 travel 2d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7