• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:29 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Lost among the Boughs

Started by tomcat, Dec 30, 2018, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

The Fire-watcher stands, his face drawn in a grim expression.  "I will go in search of this man's lost companions," he says.  "I will be glad of assistance from any here, but know this," he pauses meeting the eyes of each Man, and Dwarf, present, "the Heart of Mirkwood is home to many terrible things, and I will hold none a coward who wish to venture no further than the banks of the Dusky River."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Jan 04, 2019, 02:02 AM #16 Last Edit: Jan 04, 2019, 10:53 AM by Telcontar
"Will you tell us about this River Maiden? I have heard only pieces of a story it seems and then from what I have heard all does not go together well."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn actually laughs at his friend's dour proclamation.  "Now don't scare the lot too much.  My axe was ready the moment he said his companions we're missing.  This is what I came for anyways for my father spoke of this darkness, meeting our old foe in its web seems to be foretold."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: I will get a story post up tonight or tomorrow.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: i have an idea, but my character doesnt know diddly squat about the river maidens. Meta question for player thought: is it always the same river maiden that's being nasty? If so has anyone checked with the others on what her deal is? Maybe bargeman was wrecked by one sister and saved by another.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Jan 06, 2019, 10:37 AM #20 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2019, 05:00 PM by Eclecticon
Quote from: Telcontar on Jan 04, 2019, 02:02 AM"Will you tell us about this River Maiden? I have heard only pieces of a story it seems and then from what I have heard all does not go together well."

"For Duskwater do Men name her," Arbogast replies, "eldest of the River-maidens.  She and her two sisters have dwelled in the Dusky River and the Black Tarn, it is told, since before the first Men came to live in Mirkwood.  Ever have they been friends to my folk, rescuing the drowning, yes, but also holding the river as if it were a wall against the darker denizens of the Wood.  They have even," he continues, leaning forward conspiratorially," taken lovers from among those who ply the water, and many among the people of Black Tarn Hall claim decent from one such."

He sits back again. "But all things turn for the worse in Mirkwood, it seems.  Duskwater has turned against my home, so that few indeed will brave the waters of the Tarn.  At first it was simply snared metres and capsized boats, but Radaghast has become sure that the poor takings of fish are due to her efforts against us.  I know not whether she has in truth escalated to murder, for the water has ever had its perils, but certainly every accident and ill fortune among the fishermen and barge traders is attributed to her malice."

:ooc: I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I'm petty sure that only Duskwater is being a problem - the other two are fine.

EDIT: ...for now.

Character sheet

Telcontar

"And what of her sisters? Are the mixed stories and reports perhaps due to a conflict among them?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Arbogast spreads his hands and shrugs.  "I have heard no tales of such a thing, though it would not surprise me in these kinstrife-riven days.  The River-maidens live their lives for the most part beneath the water, and who is to say what passes between them there?  Were Radaghast here, I would ask him.  But he is not, and we must make our own guesses."

Character sheet

Telcontar

"It sounds to me as if one is bent on destruction, and this bargeman was saved by another and carried a great distance. Though as you say, who is to know for sure, and the ways of water are not well known to me. Either way, the Wolfslayer is right. We have come all this way and here at least is something to do."

Hathcyn put an ale horn down in front of the drowned man.

"Here you go. River water will make you sick, but this will make you strong."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Paladin003

"You know that I will be joining you on your journeys my friend. No need to ask." He says putting his hands on his belt.

"My axe is yours."

Telcontar

"Do we wait a day for the wizard, or do we pack and march at once?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"Loath as I am to counsel rash and hasty action, when Men go astray in the wood, each hour is precious.  The sun lights the day, and I know the way to the Eldosa stream.  Let us go as soon as we may be ready." 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Thanks for the patience, everyone!! I truly mean it - there will be new game content tomorrow.

Been amazingly busy here with year end for my company and having to figure out work arounds for the lost profiler.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jan 09, 2019, 10:04 AM #28 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2019, 10:06 AM by tomcat
With no word from Radagast and questions unanswered, the companions made ready to leave. They collected their gear and girded themselves for travel. The folk of Rhosgobel were accommodating with foodstuffs and waterskins for though both could be found within Mirkwood, care needed to be taken. By the time they were restocked, each of their backpacks bulged with supplies. Arbogast looked at his own and contemplated the aching shoulders to come.

He looked to the Rohirrim who had been silent since his arrival, though he had remained among their group, "I know not your path, but if you are willing to aid, it would be welcomed. Know that your horse will best be left here in Rhosgobel. I understand that living within the wizard's realm will serve it greatly."

The Fire-watcher smiled at the puzzled look on Eomund's face and he thought, What a laugh it would be to return and hear the palfrey speaking!

The straps of their packs bit deeply but they were ready. Bivor the Fair-handed came to see them off and promised he would inform Master Radagast of their presence in Rhosgobel and the direction the companions now took.

"I wish you well in your search. Safe journey and know that we will see that Everard is returned to health and then back to his home."

Telcontar

Hatchcyn shouldered his pack with a practiced toss. He also seemed to have a wine skin that was in excess of those the others carried and a horn from the hall hung from the strap. Grimbeorn arched an eye at the horn and Hathcyn smiled.

"I didnt tie it there. It came with the skin, and there was a kiss or two that came with them both."

The Wolfslayer shook his head, but adjusted his own gear.

"What? She was helpful, it's not my fault that I am easily missed and hard to part with."

The Longspear slapped Anar on the shoulder, "Tate taught me a couple of new songs that I may have adjusted the words to...Anyway, we are off into the wild again, dangerrs all around, strange river ladies tossing dweomers hither and yon. This is far better than cattle herding! Come Firewatcher, tell of this wood of yours. is it much different than that of the north? I have worked the northern end..."

Hathcyn then proceeded to ask questions of the Woodman, but seemed to take no notice, or leave room, for much of a response.

"When one travels with the Wolfslayer you tend to make your own conversation. I have come many leagues with a silent bear, and a bookish badger. Come Firewatcher, break the silence and relieve me of my endless noise." And with that the lanky Beorning listened to all the Firewatccher would tell him as they walked.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear