• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 11:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Words of the Raven - Southward (redux)

Started by Eclecticon, Aug 04, 2018, 11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Awesome, two more :%: successes for both PC's.

They rode with haste and little caution, for these lands were mostly free of danger, controlled as they were by the Woodmen and Beornings.

Along their way, they stopped each traveler, and approached each farmstead, or shepherd, and passed word of the impending threat of the Blood-moon Raiders. Tate begged each person they spoke with to carry forth the message with earnest, for the invaders were great in number and all of the clans would need to aid one another.

The miles passed quickly under trotting feet.

Esgalwen found them a comfortable place to camp for the night and they were away again with the rising sun. By mid-afternoon of the second day since they departed Stánford, the walls of Beorn's house could be seen. The Ranger gave a sigh of relief at the sight and hoped her friends were safely within.

She swung her leg from her saddle, even before her mount had completely stopped and then jogged to the house. Tate was behind her, but his wound - not yet healed - kept him a pace or two behind.

The doors were open and Esgalwen called as she entered, "Grimbeorn?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Thanks, Doug.  In my haste, I'd assumed a summer journey. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: No problem, Paul.

Truthfully, I was bored at the office and wanted something to do, so I expanded our travel a little bit.  ;)

It allowed me to add some dialogue/narrative, too, based on the dice rolls - because I wasn't sure if the test you rolled for Esgalwen was a success or not.  ;)
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: you were right, Paul - we only needed the one test for our travel. I misread the Fatigue test section, thinking it said 1 test for each full and partial day.

Ignore my second round of tests.

Posterboy

:ooc: So... I am here. I'm not really sure if there's something that I should be responding to though.

Eclecticon

:ooc: My apologies.  I promise there will be more hot Tate-on-stuff action as the story continues.  Like I said in the OOC thread, though, I kinda need to get the other branch of the story done, so that the two groups can link up.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Aug 22, 2018, 04:08 AM #21 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018, 02:28 PM by Eclecticon
In answer to Esgalwen's call, several sheep and ponies that were lounging by the low-burning firepit raise their heads and glance in her direction.  So too does an older man rise from conversation with a younger and turn toward the new arrivals.  "You are the Southerner," he says.  "Esylan, was it?  And the tale-teller from the Long Lake.  I apologise, for my memory for names is not what it once was, and yours is entirely lost to me.  In any case," he continues unabated, gesturing to empty chairs that have been pushed against the outer walls, "you are welcome, though I am afraid that Harhold (whom I believe you know) and I are the only Men here to-day."  

He looks down at a nearby dog and bellows "bring ale and cakes for our guests!" in a fashion that makes it clear that he has done this to no effect many times in the past, and fully expects to do so once more.  Nor is he disappointed in this expectation, for the dog simply gives its tail a few desultory thumps on the floor and resolutely ignores the command.  "Never mind," the older man says, disdain heavy in his tone.  "I shall go and do so myself.  I am Ingelram of the Leap," he says, looking once more to Esgalwen and Tate, "should it concern you."  

Once the two travellers have food and drink, and Harhold has struggled a pair of heavy wooden chairs into position by the fire, the younger man speaks up.  "You were the two sent south after that fugitive murderer, weren't you?  I fear from your return without him that your news has been no better than mine..."  

And thus, he begins the tale of all that has taken place by the House of Beorn since the burial of Merovech and Odo.  

Character sheet

tomcat

Esgalwen listened patiently to the tale she was told. More than once, she felt her heart race in fear for her friends and the losses that they had against the horde of orcs. It was not clear whether her and Tate's presence would have changed anything, but still a feeling of guilt pervaded her mind. When Ingelram had finished all he had to say, Esgalwen breathed out a sigh of concern for Rorin but then recounted their tale south.

"Well, grim indeed is the news you tell and more is the tale that we bring. We traveled as far south as the Wolfwood and it was there that we did find Oderic - the fugitive that was held by your slain kinsmen. The only bright point in our story is that we did apprehend him and he has been brought back north. He is currently being detained in Stánford among his kin. We had no choice but to leave him there for worse news we learned within the wood - raiders out of the Toft have a great host camped there! There are enough to threaten many of the villages throughout the vale. We moved as quickly north as we could with our charge only to hear news that Grimbeorn needed us, and so we left him with Stánford's elders to keep until Beorn calls once more.

So now, we will finish this cup and plate of food and then be on our way, once more. Per chance, do you know where Grimbeorn went? What direction? Whom did he chase?"

Posterboy

Quote from: Eclecticon on Aug 22, 2018, 04:08 AMIn answer to Esgalwen's call, several sheep and ponies that were lounging by the low-burning firepit raise their heads and glance in her direction.  So too does an older man rise from conversation with a younger and turn toward the new arrivals.  "You are the Southerner," he says.  "Esylan, was it?  And the tale-teller from the Long Lake.  I apologise, for my memory for names is not what it once was, and yours is entirely lost to me.  In any case," he continues unabated, gesturing to empty chairs that have been pushed against the outer walls, "you are welcome, though I am afraid that Harhold (whom I believe you know) and I are the only Men here to-day."

"My companion's name is the Lady Esgalwen. And Tate is the name that belongs to me... though I do like the sound of 'Tale-Teller'," the minstrel gave the man a broad smile. Looking to Gwen, his chest puffed slightly, he added merrily, "I think I shall keep it!"

Quote from: Eclecticon on Aug 22, 2018, 04:08 AMOnce the two travellers have food and drink, and Harhold has struggled a pair of heavy wooden chairs into position by the fire, the younger man speaks up.  "You were the two sent south after that fugitive murderer, weren't you?  I fear from your return without him that your news has been no better than mine..."  

Tate listened well to the Harhold's tale, paying close attention to the details of his message, along with the pitch and tone of the young man's voice and the way in which his posture changed as he told the story.

After Harhold finished, Gwen, too, shared their story as well.

Eclecticon

In response to Esgalwen's question, both Ingelram and Harhold's mouths twist into snarls.  "They went north," the older man begins. 

"Aye," finishes the younger, "in pursuit of those who took the Roadmaker, may their water fill their boots!" 

"You'll find the trail clearly enough," Ingelram continues, implicitly approving of Harhold's sentiment, "at least as far as the Elfwood.  After that, I daresay it grows narrower, and more overgrown.  Some bold traders have made the journey across the wood by the Elf-path, but I doubt many turned north afterwards." 

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Five questions:

1) What's the time difference between Tate/Gwen and Grimbeorn/Hathcyn?
2) How long is the journey to get to our companions?
3) Is the listed current endurance on Tate accurate?
4) If we were to spend the night here, could Tate sing himself some endurance back?
5) Are there other ways to recuperate endurance?

Eclecticon

:ooc: At the time of writing, you two are two days ahead of Grimbeorn and Hathcyn.  It's about three days ride from Beorn's House to Viglund's hall - maybe five or six on foot (not that or Esgalwen Tate know this). 

I've been pretty scrupulous about keeping Tate's Endurance rating up to date in general, but I hadn't updated it since you left Stánford the last time.  Thanks for the reminder.  Normally, he'd be recovering two points of Endurance per night on the road (as he's un-Wounded).  Resting here in Beorn's House will be resting in a safe place, so Tate will recover two points, plus his Heart rating.  I could do the maths on that, but I'm comfortable with just declaring him to be fully healed. 

:csu: for that.

Character sheet

Posterboy

"M'Lady," Tate began, as Esgalwen made mention of hitting the road once more. "It is near evening. Let us rest here for the night, within the safety of Lord Beorn's hall, and push forward with dawn's first light with renewed strength."

tomcat

Aug 31, 2018, 05:32 AM #28 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2018, 06:41 AM by tomcat
Esgalwen and Tate rode in silence. The Fall morning had dawned magnificently and the sun sat just above the shadow that ran the eastern horizon - Mirkwood. Neither wanted to break the splendor by filling the space with words. Instead, the call of raptors as they started their morning hunts, songbirds, frogs along the riverbank, and buzzing insects that waited patiently for the final warm days of the season, filled the moment.

They had stayed the night in Beorn's home and Tate was feeling much better. The wound from the ambush on the river was healing nicely. Since that evening, another full day had passed and now the sun rose on one more. Esgalwen hoped that they would reach Elfwood by day's end. She hoped, too, that mayhaps news of their comrades would present itself.

She clicked and spurred her horse forward, bringing it to a trot - all the while her eyes roved across the distance before them. Behind her, Tate followed suit and his mount cantered quickly up to her own. Esgalwen smiled at him - a warm smile. An affectionate smile.

:ooc: Paul, you can ignore this post if you need to - I just thought I would fill our end of the story with some narrative.

But I know we are like...one day ahead...or two? in the story timeframe, so if this post is not compatible with what happens to Grimbeorn, Rorin, and Hathcyn, just delete.

Maybe, instead of a peaceful morning ride north, we see a horde of Vigs coming at us in hot pursuit of the above mentioned trio!  (-D