• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 02:11 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

An Ambush Awry - Round 3

Started by Eclecticon, Jul 30, 2018, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Jul 30, 2018, 08:47 PM Last Edit: Jul 30, 2018, 09:02 PM by Eclecticon
Situation: Esgalwen and Tate's attempted ambush has gone disastrously, and combat is now joined in earnest. 

Combat Advantage dice:
• Esgalwen 0
• Tate 2/2

Situation Modifiers:
• The Toft-men have the initiative, as three quarters of the company have effectively been counter-ambushed

Physical Modifiers (complications):
• combat in the reeds and mud is hampered - all Parry scores are reduced by two against enemies outside the riverbank

PC/NPC PARRY :+~: ARMOUR :<>: HOPE :vv: END :<3: STANCE
Esgalwen
Tate
Oderic
Williferd
6 (skirmisher +3)
2 (shield +3)

1d (helm n/a)
3d (helm n/a)
1d (helm n/a)
1d (helm n/a)

5/12
13/15
2/3
n/a

21/27
13/29 WEARY
5/18
16/16

Open
Defensive
Open
Open

ENEMY PARRY :+~: ARMOUR :<>: HATE :@: END :<3: NOTES
Blood Moon archer
Hunting Hound
Hunting Hound

Blood Moon warrior
Blood Moon warrior
Blood Moon archer
Hunting Hound

2d
2d
2d

3d+1
3d+1
2d
2d

2/2
1/1
1/1

2/2
2/2
1/2
1/1

0/14
1/12
12/12

0/14
14/14
14/14
0/12

DEAD
keeping its distance from Esgalwen - now Craven
fighting Esgalwen

DEAD
fighting Tate
firing at Oderic
DEAD

STANCES

Forward - action order 1
Close combat
TN 6+ parry
Forward Stance maneuvers
:<>:Open - action order 2
Close combat
TN 9+ parry
Open Stance maneuvers
:<>:Defensive - action order 3
Close combat
TN 12+ parry
Defensive Stance maneuvers
:<>:Rearward - action order 4
Ranged combat
Must be 2 other PC's in Close Combat
May not use if outnumbered 2:1

TN 12+ parry
Rearward Stance maneuvers
:<>:From any Stance
Escape combat
Must start in Rearward or roll
TN 10 + highest attribute level
of opponents Athletics roll. On success,
may safely flee from the scene of combat
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Jul 30, 2018, 08:56 PM #1 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2018, 09:00 PM by Eclecticon
With a roar, and the frantic energy common to angry young men, Oderic springs up the slope towards the archer, who frantically fumbles as he knocks another arrow.  The spearman, face locked in a scowl half furious, half terrified, begins to give ground, retreating by hesitant steps to the firmer soil of the slope. 

On the hillside, the wounded dog, seeing Esgalwen distracted and its pack-mate refusing to relent, re-joins the fight, limping in to nip at the Ranger. 

:ooc: Doug, don't forget Tate's two bonus dice.  Even Weary, they could be used to good effect. 

Attacks:

:ooc:
Riverbank
Blood moon warrior
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6+3 : 4, 4 + 3, total 11

Blood moon archer
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6+3 : 3, 3 + 3, total 9

Hillside
Hunting hound (wounded)
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 1, total 2

Hunting hound (hale)
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6+3 : 5, 6 + 3, total 14

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Ouch!  Tate loses five  :<3: ... unless you want to spend a bonus die to add 3 to his Parry for the round, in which case he doesn't. 

Esgalwen isn't as lucky, losing six :<3: and requiring a protection test at TN 14. 

Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Tate is definitely using one success die to offset that damage.

Attacking the warrior with his sword:

Rolled 1d12 : 4, total 4

Rolled 4d6 : 5, 3, 6, 4, total 18

Posterboy

:ooc: If I read that right, that's a hit... so Tate follows up with a shield slam:

Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Posterboy

:ooc: Dang! The 11 is always bad, right? So, zero on the shield bash... but an extraordinary hit with the sword, so -10  :<3:
 loss for the warrior

The boggy banks began to remind the bard of home and, with familiarity, his feet started to remember how one fought amongst the reeds. Reading the Toft-man's move, Tate turned his body to the side with grace, as though dancing. His sword gently pushed his opponents weapon aside before coming back and biting into the Blood Moon raider's side.

"Haha!" Tate smiled. "You should have passed us by, swine." Glancing back at Williferd, he called out. "Come along, Williferd! Oderic looks in need of a hand, and you have two good ones!"

tomcat

:ooc: Welcome back, Ayrn!

I had been thinking about Paul's post above as to what Tate and Esgalwen were going to do with the current results, but I had not had a chance to get back to the boards until now. I get here and you have posted! WOOT!

If I was still controlling Tate this round, I would have definitely used the success die to thwart the attack. But I was also going to use the following if necessary, as I don't think it bodes well for the party if anyone is wounded:

Quote from: Page 151 Core Rev rulesDuring the same turn, a player may spend 1 or more of the dice in his reserve at any time (for his own roll or to help others), but any roll may be modified by a maximum of 1 bonus Success die.

Bottom line is, Esgalwen only has 1d in armor and will need to beat a TN 14. I was planning on rolling it normal, but if the use of Tate's last advantage die can help her pass, I was going to have him give it up for her use.

If for some reason, you do not agree with this game plan, let me know

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: So, here is Esgalwen's Protection test:

TN 14 armor 1d
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

If it succeeds, then great! If not, but could succeed with use of Tate's other advantage die, I am going to make use of it. If it is a hopeless failure, than so be it. If Ayrn disagrees with me using his advantage die, then ignore anything about it beyond her protection roll.

Once I see how this goes, I will roll her attack.

As before, may the Powers smile down upon her!  [<   ;D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: I think that I am going to make a small appeal to the Powers of Middle-earth each time I roll! It seems to be doing me very well!

Esgalwen succeeds on her protection test with a :g: , so no need to borrow Tate's last advantage die!

Now for her attack roll against the hale war-hound.

TN 13 longsword 4d
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 1, 6, 3, total 12

:dmg: 11   edge: 8   injury: 18

tomcat

Jul 31, 2018, 09:04 AM #9 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2018, 09:07 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Well, it is an ugly success but it worked!

Esgalwen rolls a :%: success for 17 :<3: loss, which I believe should take out the healthy dog (unless it also needs to be wounded).

Esgalwen had misjudged her last attack and the hunting hound had taken advantage of the opening she made, lunging in and biting hard on her calf. The leather  armor she wore was made to be light and for easy movement, but still useful in protecting her vitals. Fortunate for the Dúnadan, the hound's jaws found the padded protection, though the strength of the bite was enough to maker her cry out.

Pulling back from the animal, Esgalwen stabbed straight down into its back and there came a sickening pop of bone and tendon, as Nimronyn cut clean through its spine. The dog released her from its maw, yipping as it did, and rolled over onto the ground. It was dying even as its companion began to whine and mewl - the wounded hound knowing it was now in a perilous position.

Esgalwen pulled free her sword and began to move, all the while keeping Nimronyn's tip towards her remaining foe.