• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 06:35 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Words of the Raven - Northward

Started by Eclecticon, Jul 23, 2018, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Aug 13, 2018, 01:23 PM #45 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018, 11:29 AM by Eclecticon
:ooc: I didn't get to this last night, but Grimbeorn knows well that Beorn's personal herd is tiny - a dozen or so heifers that he keeps for milk and some calves.  If you want to pay Rorin's ransom, you'll need to call upon the thegns to make up most of it.

Under the law common to most Northmen, Beorn has the right to do this to pay ransoms for his followers - the first time they get captured, at least.  You might need to sell them on the idea of paying up to free a Dwarf, though.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Aug 14, 2018, 02:43 PM #46 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018, 02:45 PM by GandalfOfBorg
"If you hadn't guessed yet, look now for I am Grimbeorn, son of Beorn.  Aye, yes, I care for the well-being of all folk whom are under my protection.  As for recompense, I would here of this offense so given that would warrant 100 head of cattle.  Mark you, though, my father is not likely to bandy animals in his care for others for he sees them as his wards and children.  I know naught of Rorin's dealings that would have brought into your lands or done you or your kind ill."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: Let's treat that as an Awe attempt, given that we're Encountering again:

:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 2, total 9

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Grimbeorn's declaration is met with more than a few gasps and shocked muttering from the assembled crowd.  Beorn's own son is come here?  One or two of them, knowing him by reputation, begin to look uneasy. 

Viglund, however, responds with a wolfish grin.  "Welcome then, Grimbeorn, son of Beorn!  It pleases me to meet you at long last.  You ask his offence?  Why, he has given me none, save by entering the land under my protection without my permission, just as his other kin did before him.  They have stolen valuable possessions of mine, for it has been decreed that all deadfall in the Elfwood is my property.  As punishment for this crime, I hold them in thrall until the value of that which they have taken from me is compensated." 

"Fortunately," he says, his grin widening, "they are masons beyond any among my own folk." 

Beneath his bruises, Rorin's face darkens like fields beneath thunder clouds. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Hathcyn guaged the response of those in the Hall and that of its master. He wanted to speak, but also knew he mist tread carefully. He learned well the lesson at the cairn.

:ooc: Insight roll to get an idea of what he trully wants or any type of leverage. I would like to get a clue as to if I put Rorin forward as the road warden and the importance in trade for the region if future profit will be a lever to offset current needs.
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 4, total 11
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: That's a failure as is, but it'll probably be a great success if you care to use one of your bonus dice.

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: sure. My interpersonal skills arent great but anything I can do to help the wolf slayer and that 6 is already in the que.

Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Aug 17, 2018, 07:35 PM #53 Last Edit: Aug 17, 2018, 11:30 PM by Eclecticon
As the chieftain and Grimbeorn match words and wills, Hathcyn casts his eyes over the assembled Viglundings.  Several of the older men, he notes, keep darting their eyes between Viglund and his son, appraising looks in their eyes.  So does the warrior with the golden-tusked shield, whose careful control over his expression does not seem to extend as far as keeping his nostrils from flaring, nor the corners of his mouth from twitching downwards.  Viglar, for his part, seems to want to look over at Rorin, and his hands fidget continuously. 

Piece by piece, Hathcyn begins to piece together what Viglund will not speak of.  Viglund may have commanded the seizing of the Dwarves, but he did not sanction the taking of our warriors, nor of the Roadmaker.  Yet he cannot punish his own son for his rash actions.  He must therefore take Viglar's actions as his own, and ensure that his followers profit from them.  Under him, they are cowed and will raise no hand, but he seeks to ensure that they will support his son when the time comes.

:ooc: The lesson here is never to play poker against Hathcyn.

Character sheet

Telcontar

" It is true Lord, they are masons beyond skill for I have spent some time among them. You may not know who it is that you have as a guest for this is Rorin the Road-maker, second only to the Road Warden himself. Their enterprise at present is not complete and there is little profit in it so small would be the ransom for him from his own folk and the unwilling hand toils the slowest. You may be able to get a slight ransom from his folk now while they work, but what profit would come to your folk were you to release him?

They surely will charge a toll in their new road and it will bring commerce to your folk as the road comes this way. What will the toll and profit be for your folk? Will the toll of the northern folk be 101 cattle for 101 years? A tax that your sons son will pay?  The dwarves will go on with the memory of this ransom long after those cattle are dust, for the memory of dwarves is long. Would it not instead be better to come to softer terms now and excuse the incident as one of those things that happens in a border land when armed men are abroad? You have shown your strength and asserted your rights over trespass of your law will you let that be enough for today?

The wise say the one who slays the pregnant cow for its hide has no concern for the future."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, I know it's not your strong suit, but I'm going to turn this into a Persuade roll, with the TN lowered to 12 for Hathcyn's mention of dynastic succession.  It's still a long shot, but you might get over the top with your remaining bonus die.  Let's see:

:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Promising... want to go for it with your remaining die?

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: fortune and glory
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

This seems like one of those types of rolls that spending a point of Hope makes narrative and mechanical sense.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Character sheet