• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:14 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Foes - Stánford and the South

Started by Eclecticon, May 03, 2018, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Confidence is an awesome find!

That is very useful for Esgalwen's continued existence. It is definitely something that will have to make narrative sense, but we'll see how this phase ends and if it is apropos for her to buy that trait.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Cat-like, Esgalwen follows the trail back to where Williferd and Tate await her.  In the darkness, it is impossible to make out anything but the vaguest silhouettes of the two men, yet Williferd's whisper speaks eloquently of the tension within him.  "Is he there?  Did you espy him?" 

:ooc: RP as much as you like, but you'll also need to decide what to do next. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Jun 25, 2018, 09:21 AM #77 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018, 09:39 AM by tomcat
:ooc: I don't know Ayrn's status. I know he had said he had a lot going on for the summer, so I am going to post a narrative and dialogue here and fill in all the ideas.

If you oppose to anything I write, Ayrn, let me know and Paul can either retcon it or I can edit my post. Either way, if I don't move our part of the story on, the other guys are going to be waiting until September to see what happens with the Viglundings.

Esgalwen reappeared as a dark shape moving among the shadows. The two men were relieved to see her, but their mood quickly soured when they saw the grim look upon her face.

"Did you see him?" asked Willferd.

"See him?" replied the Ranger sharply. "I have never seen him, so I know not what he even looks like and thus would not know if I saw him."

Tate gave her a look to remind her that her thin patience was showing again.

She breathed in, "I am sorry, Williferd. No, I do not know if I saw him. What I did see was a camp filled with people. At least eighty - men, women, and children - and that is what I could see. More were within the old fortification. What is worse, they bear the mark of the Crescent Moon...Blood Raiders!" Her last words came out as a hiss.

Willferd immediately became anxious. "What are we going to do? We have to go! I have to let Stánford know that such a large raiding camp is on our borders."

The bard reached out a hand and placed it on the Woodman's shoulder. "Relax. We will. Message will be sent."

"I have to go..."

"No!" answered Esgalwen. "Not yet...our being hidden is paramount to our survival, right now."

Tate looked at her, "So...what do we do? Can we find him in their camp?"

"I guess," wondered the Ranger, "if I know who I am looking for. But what then? Try to sneak and capture him? Take him out? I doubt he would come willingly. I doubt we can get into the camp unseen."

"What of a diversion?"

The two hunters were surprised when the suggestion came from their unwilling guide.

Esgalwen shrugged, "Maybe that would work. It would have to be a good diversion, though. Then what? We have no horses to make a quick escape."

"The forest?" asked Tate.

Again a shrug, "Maybe...they have plenty of folk, though, to try and flush us out from a hide." She rubbed her hands together, trying to get the unseen dirt off of them. It was a nervous habit that Esgalwen had begun to do since she left the city of Dale.

"Then we need to leave and send warning," whispered Williferd.

Tate spoke over him, "What if we just enter the camp and say we are looking for an outlaw. Maybe it is just another settlement of people who mean no ill will. Perhaps we can justify to their leader our reasons and if he is hiding within their ranks, they will turn him over to us."

"I had given that a thought," admitted Esgalwen. "But I fear that might go in the opposite direction."

"They can't know who we are, nor would they have some vendetta towards us."

"I know, Tate. It is not that I think they have a mark out on us, but I do not trust a raider camp to have any good will towards strangers. Whether they call this wood home, or not, and their families reside with them. If they are truly Blood Moon raiders, they would just as soon take you to serve as entertainment until they bore, and take me and..."

Her voice trailed off. All three knew what they would do with a captive woman - especially one so fair. Esgalwen would end up a slave, or maybe more, a chieftain's concubine.

Esgalwen continued, "If we had more strength to back up any claims to Oderic, I would say the last option would be good. But we have no allies within three day's march!"

"So then what?" asked Tate, also beginning to believe their options were none.

"Mayhaps we find a place to hide? Watch them for a few days? If the raiders leave and go out on a raids, the number in the camp would diminish to only a few capable strong men. We would have a better chance to get into the camp then."

"But that would mean Stánford is in danger," said Williferd, "and I cannot do that! Besides, you don't even know if he is in the camp!"

Esgalwen stared hard at the Woodman, but then nodded. "You are right. We don't. That needs confirmed, and unfortunately you are the only one to do that, Williferd." With a sigh of resignation, the Ranger said, "You are going to follow me back to the encampment and look. If you see him, we make our decision. If not...well then you may leave for Stánford, and Tate and I will decide our own path."

"But..."

The bard nodded, "It is the only way."

The Ranger grabbed Williferd's arm firmly, "Strength, man! I need you to be strong. And I need you to be quiet!"

Once more they unlimbered themselves of anything that might reveal their presence. Tate nodded, "I will wait here."

"If we are captured, you run."

"No..."

"You will run, Tate. And you will warn everyone you see between here and the Carrock. Do you understand?"

Tate's throat suddenly became dry and he struggled to swallow.

"Alright...just make sure that you two are not heard, okay?"

Esgalwen gave him a reassuring smile, but neither believed it.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Okay...I have no stats for Williferd, so Paul he is in your capable hands.

As for Esgalwen, here is her stealth roll to try once more to get close to the encampment. Again, I am assuming a TN 14 and my Armour of Rangers virtue applies. I am also calling on Esgalwen's Adventurous trait [your spirit is attracted to new experiences, especially when they put your mettle to  the test - TOR p.97]

I am pretty sure her mettle is being put to the test here.

TN 14 stealth 2d
:00: 2d12 : 4, 10, total 14
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 2, total 5

Here's hoping...

tomcat

:ooc: Okay! A 15 works.

Let's hope that the Woodman is adept at moving quietly.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Williferd, like the rest of Stánford's folk, is a Beorning.  On the other hand, he's an experienced hunter even if he doesn't spend all his time among the trees.  Let's see how well he does:

:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6+4 : 5, 2 + 4, total 11

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Esgalwen sneaks once more toward the light, this time accompanied by the sure-footed Williferd, who looks over the folk in view before shaking his head.  "I do not see him here, but perhaps they have taken him within the walls.  I mark only two sentries.  Ought we perhaps try to sneak closer?" 

Character sheet

tomcat

"Yes, let us get closer."

:ooc: not sure if you need another roll for that, Paul. If so, here you go. If not, you can ignore.

TN [not sure] stealth 2d
:00: 2d12 : 12, 1, total 13
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7

Posterboy

Quote from: tomcat on Jun 25, 2018, 09:21 AM:ooc: I don't know Ayrn's status. I know he had said he had a lot going on for the summer, so I am going to post a narrative and dialogue here and fill in all the ideas.

If you oppose to anything I write, Ayrn, let me know and Paul can either retcon it or I can edit my post. Either way, if I don't move our part of the story on, the other guys are going to be waiting until September to see what happens with the Viglundings.

:ooc: None opposed here. Sorry, work still has me for this week. Came back to a death in the community and some fellow staff members in turmoil, along with regular catch-up after being away from my desk for 3 weeks. I'm out until Monday and then I'm all yours for 2 weeks!

I'd only say Tate's love for Gwen is pretty strong. I'd say he's split 50/50 on whether he'd try to figure out a way to rescue her solo if she gets caught, or head back and stir up Grimbeorn's wrath towards Gwen's captors.

tomcat

:ooc: Paul, I got another :g: on my latest Stealth roll.

I would give you an awareness or explore roll if Esgalwen knew who she was looking for, but she doesn't.

Still, here is an explore check to look over the camp and see if there are any visible options to sneak in, or anything else that might be of value.

TN ?? explore 2d
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 2, total 6

Eclecticon

Despite the cool of the night, both Esgalwen and Williferd are sweating as they creep around the circumference of the clearing, and the Ranger's heart is beating so loudly that she half expects one of the sentries to hear it.  Finally, though, they arrive at a spot where they can see part-way through one of the old arched doorways into the fire-lit interior of the fallen fort.  Nor is it long before a silhouette appears in the doorway that makes Williferd stifle a gasp.  The man is tall and strong of limb, and at his belt hangs an un-sheathed sword bound in thick straps of leather.  Though his features are in shadow, Williferd hisses "it's him!"  

Oderic moves quickly and surely from the doorway into the clearing and thence into the woods, not far from where Tate remains hidden.  His hands are not bound, but neither does he seem entirely at liberty.  A smaller, older man follows soon after, picking a stealthy way through the resting bodies to keep the young man ever in sight.  

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sorry, Doug.  It took me a while to get this together. 

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: they are leaving the camp? Just two of them?

That presents some opportunities!

tomcat

Tapping Williferd on his shoulder and motioning him to follow, the two moved off in silence towards where Tate waited, keeping Oderic and his companion in their sight.

Esgalwen began to put a plan together in her head. If the two men went out of the confines of the camp, perhaps they could incapacitate the older man and Williferd could convince - quietly - Oderic to come with them. Once away from the enemy, they could coerce the fugitive to return to the Carrock.

She waited until they were far enough from any ears to whisper her idea to the man from Stánford.

:ooc: I have made 3 successful stealth rolls so far, Paul - of varying degrees of success and :g: -runed. I am not going to roll another unless you need me to.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Fine with me.  I'll post more soonish.

Character sheet