• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 18, 2024, 02:26 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Foes - Stánford and the South

Started by Eclecticon, May 03, 2018, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

May 03, 2018, 08:29 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:00 PM by Eclecticon
Broad Anduin beside, soft slumbers Stánford, grievances aired, bellies full, fires banked. 
Stireth then in darkness Williferd the wrongdoer, Tate and Esgalwen
Night-cloaked, pursued and pursuers, fall their footsteps soft as prayer.

Tate's suspicions are swiftly proven correct.  In the dead of night, as the dying embers shine in the breath of a cold wind, he hears the sound of furtive footsteps as someone passes the door of the grand hall.  His hand falls gently on Esgalwen, who sits upright, no more asleep than the Northman.  Wordlessly, they leave the shelter of the hall, to follow the star-lit path of Williferd as he makes for the boats. 

Above them, the clouds scud and schoon across the sky.  The crossing will be dark, and likely dangerous. 

:ooc: I'm going to roll Stealth to see how closely you're able to follow Williferd.  Tate gets a mulligan because of his Burglary speciality, so I'll consider him to pass with a basic success. 

Esgalwen
This dice roll has been tampered with!
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 6, total 7
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Posterboy

:ooc: Are we up to post, or are you adding more to this?

Eclecticon

:ooc: I should add a little more, which I'll try to get to this morning.  Then you're good to go.

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Awesome! A great success.

The two companions watched as Williferd walked onto the small pier. The gurgling of the river and staccato clicks and cries of night creatures, their presence was unknown.

Esgalwen was familiar with boats - and the Anduin - having spent her youth with both father and grandfather along the river shore, as it wended its way past Minas Tirith. She was sure, too, that Tate had to be a good boatman, living as he did in Dale and near the lake. The Ranger looked around to see which boats were available as she whispered, "If he takes a boat, or if there is someone waiting, should we borrow our own or wake up Ava and ask?"

It was her intention that no matter what, the boat would be left safely tied on the opposite side of the river.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Travel roll to take measure of the available craft -or- Awareness roll to try and see them (included a nighttime penalty):

TN 16 travel 3d
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 3, 1, total 10

TN 16 awareness 2d
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7

Paul, choose the skill result you think is most appropriate and adjust the TN if it is more difficult.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: once more the :~~: winks in my direction

Posterboy

:ooc: I am just noting that my last post in the previous thread had Tate suggest he and Esgalwen needed to quietly secure the use of a boat. Unless there was no time, I'm hoping Tate and/or Esgalwen did so. Tate won't steal a boat from Grimbeorn's folk.

Telcontar

:ooc:  (-D at least now we know where the line is.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: I don't think that's something we need to play out.  I'll do a retroactive Persuade roll to see how he goes finding a willing lender.

Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 5, total 14

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Hmm.  People were suspicious, but you eventually found a fisherman willing to part with his boat for a short while.  It's not the best, or best smelling, that you've ever been in, but it will get you across.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: For some reason, I can't access the profiler site on my phone.  Go ahead and give Tate an AP for the Persuade roll.

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: A couple rolls to make the crossing, pick up the trail and to follow closely, but stealthily behind.

River cross
TN 14 travel 3d
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 3, 4, total 10

Find Williferd's path
TN 14 search 2d
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 3, total 5

Follow quietly
TN 14 stealth 2d
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 4, total 10

tomcat

:ooc: Another FUC#$%^  :~~: !

In tests, I know it just means a 0 result, but crap!

Paul - do you want to rule any +1 or +2 modifiers for Aid Another type roll challenges? It only goes into it vaguely with Prolonged Actions, but I have always liked the rule in other systems where two characters working on a task - one rolls, the other provides a bonus (in SAGA the aiding PC must at least make an easy or simple roll of the task.)

Your call.

Otherwise, Esgalwen fails on the search by 2 and on the move quiet by 4...although Tate really can't help her move quietly.

Posterboy

:ooc: Esgalwen: "Michael, row your boat a-shore, hallelujah!" Tate: "Seriously, Gwen, shut up! You're gonna spook 'im!"

Anyway, couple of rolls for me, I guess.

Travel Roll to Cross the River... Boating trait invoked, if needed
Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 4, 1, total 7

Can I roll an Awareness Roll to see if I can keep Williferd in our sights the whole crossing over, to possibly avoid having to search for his trail (or at least give us a bonus to pick up his trail)?
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Rolled 4d6 : 3, 1, 3, 5, total 12

Search Roll to Pick Up Williferd's Trail...
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

Rolled 3d6 : 1, 1, 6, total 8

Stealth Roll to see if Williferd hears me... Burglary trait invoked, if needed (that's almost guaranteed!)
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Posterboy

:ooc: I'm not 100% sure what I can write at the moment as I'm not sure what the TNs are for the checks.