• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 29, 2024, 05:47 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Foes of the Folk

Started by Eclecticon, May 03, 2018, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

May 03, 2018, 08:19 PM Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:05 PM by Eclecticon
Lo!  Repaireth the Skinchanger's son with the dawn once more unto his father's hall
Hathcyn, Harhold, brave warriors wounded, before the hearth to lay, hurts to heal, hearts to mend.
Rest they then, 'til evening once more lie upon the land. 

Dawn already begins to light the vales when the three remaining members of Grimbeorn's young warband arrive, on exhausted horses, back at the outer hedge of Beorn's House.  A cry from the young master rouses some of the wondrous dogs and sheep to bring cheese and ale, and to stoke the hearth and make ready warm furs and soft straw.  Messenger-beasts go forth to nearby homesteads to tell of the dolorous homecoming, and soon the house is full of the quiet, stoic business of healers.  As wounds are investigated, it quickly becomes apparent that Hathcyn will recover in a matter of days, if he will but rest.  Harhold's wounds, however, are deep and sere, to say nothing of the terror that now besets him even in this place of solace. 

Finally, their last reserves of willpower exhausted, the three slumber, not to wake again while the sun remains in the sky.  Then, with mead in hand by the banked hearth, the pair make fast their plans for the coming days. 

:ooc: As flagged earlier, I'm turning the narrative over to you again.  Grimbeorn's in charge, but most all of the great thegns who would counsel him have gone home to see to the harvest, leaving Hathcyn very much in the cat-bird seat as far as providing advice goes. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

May 09, 2018, 07:43 PM #1 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:36 AM by Telcontar
"Now that our wounds be bound," Hathcyn says, as he and Grimbeorn pass the hours of evening next to the slumbering hearth, ale-horns half empty, "I bid once again your indulgence.  Solemnly have I sworn to assist the Roadmaker in his quest.  For this, I must travel north to the land of Viglund and his folk."

He shifts his gaze to Harold, who stirs uneasily beneath his sleeping furs. "You need not come with me, but I ask that this man, my boon companion since our boyhood days, be allowed to dwell here until he is healed of the wounds he had suffered in your service."

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: i was waiting for Matt but this works too.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

:ooc: I thought as much.  Trouble is, after a while silence has a way of becoming self - perpetuating.  I just wanted to keep this side of this ticking over.  I hope you don't mind me putting words in your mouth.

Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I have unfortunately been held hostage by the all-consuming taskmaster called work.

Grimbeorn's mood has not been so dark in some time.  He doesn't take his frustrations out on those around him, both animal and man, but keeps it inward.  This internal self-flaggellation is apparent to all and so give their distance and space.

Finding none of use or consequence to consult these dark tidings, especially his father, the heir falls upon a great chair to drown himself in food and drink.

Hathcyn's query fell flat for the moment as Grimbeorn's mind wandered from the place.  Finally, he put aside these thoughts as voice reminded him not to dwell on what has happened, but to be in the moment and change what can happen.

"Of course, a man who fights for the Free People's  and with me deserves no less honor and service.  As for your desire to depart, you go with my blessing but I ask that you tarry until Esgalwen returns.  All must be known of what has transpired as I fear all this may be woven together in some fashion."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc:  Much as it makes in character sense for Grimbeorn to say this, you need to bear in mind that it may be some time before Esgalwen and Tate's end of the story is played out.  If you're willing to wait, then cool - take five and enjoy the narrative.  Otherwise, you might want to think about what you could do in the meantime.

Especially because (and I'll give you this as a freebie since I probably didn't make it obvious enough in the flavour text) there were other survivors of the skirmish who fled before you guys.

Character sheet

Telcontar

"We do not know, Wolfslayer, how long your friends may tarry and doubtful they will not be following a straight path."

The Longspear had bread and honey mixed in his beard and he pulled and combed upon it absently.

"Loathe as I am to say so perhaps we should return to the longhouse. Our companions lay still defiled in the open, not to mention there were those who's courage failed and abandoned us to our fate when the battle turned. They may have escaped and lay wounded with the badges of honor, or lay cowering like a beat hare at the run's end. If we are not so soon to pursue the Roadmaker then these men at least we should deal with and bring to end this sorry tale."   
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"You're right of course in regard to my companion; our group is not one for meeting expectations for promptness.  As for those left and lost, thought has been given to them and, yes, they should be recovered and found.  I have yet to decide how to address the deserters."
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on May 14, 2018, 08:38 AM"You're right of course in regard to my companion; our group is not one for meeting expectations for promptness."

:ooc:  (-D  (-D  (-D

We're trying, man! Paul just keeps putting adversity in front of us. No straight answers coming at this end.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

:ooc: Drama, Doug.  I'm putting storytelling in front of you. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

"Wolfslayer, I have not the authority to summon or raise men here. Is it your will that men be summoned to account for the dead and collect the living? Though it was nasty and brutal those who died, and what is left of them, deserve more than bleaching in the sun. With the time that has past it will be nasty work indeed."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

"Yes, do so.  Have them bring wains or wagons if they have them.  Some women of healing should be gathered as well.  I will seek whatever animal assistance can be given."
Gwaithlim Weapons

Telcontar

The Longspear left the company of the Aetheling of the Folk of Beorn and made his way from the hall. A hound sat upon the threshold and raised his droopy head at him. To all outside appearances a common hound and nothing remarkable. Hathcyn however bent and spoke to the beast.

"Bring the gate keeper and Speaker of the Hall. Grimbeorn has need of wains, drivers, and a healer. Our folk will not be left for the birds."

The dog nodded its head and the Longspear scratched behind its ears. He stood, wounds still tight and sore and went to make other preperations for the riding.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: Nice.  Okay, give me a bit to get a post up.  Time is tight on the weekend, so it may not be until Monday.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

The wains and drivers gather with the breaking of dawn, the healers who tended to the wounded heroes having passed the news to their families, and word having spread from ear to ear throughout the following day.  The clouds have lowered overnight, and the sky hangs heavy and leaden as the door of a tomb.  They scull through the air above, but within the hedge wall there is barely enough wind to stir the corners of cloaks and stray hairs. 

There is an expectant hush as Grimborn and Hathcyn emerge on to the front porch.  Men, women, children and hounds alike are still, awaiting the words of their aetheling. 

Character sheet