• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 20, 2024, 02:53 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Pursuit - the Fugitive

Started by Eclecticon, Mar 19, 2018, 09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Another Persuade roll in the interaction to see if she can get these people to open up:

TN 14 persuade 3d
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 4, 5, total 11

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: 2 successes!  :)

I will leave this here a moment to see what you want to add, Paul.

BUT...I will include another roll for Esgalwen to interpret any clues offered:

TN 14 riddle 1d
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Mar 28, 2018, 10:02 AM #17 Last Edit: Mar 28, 2018, 10:04 AM by tomcat
:ooc: YES!! 3 successes!  :>

Esgalwen is currently doing a little happy dance!

Eclecticon

:ooc: You're doing well, considering Tate has suddenly clammed up! 

I'll get a post up for you ASAP. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: If you do include the Introduction success in our total successes, we are at 4 - if not the three above.

Either way, Esgalwen will roll one more Persuade roll to try and convey to the leaders to tell NO one of their purpose here to capture the fugitive. She does not want word to get to the potential murderer and have him rabbit.

TN 14 persuade 3d
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 1, 5, total 8

tomcat

:ooc: That's our first fail and if Tolerance is based on Wisdom (or Valour as they are both the same), we still have 3 left.

So, I will roll again to Persuade

TN 14 persuade 3d
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 6, 6, total 13

tomcat

:ooc: And that gentlemen is a badass Extraordinary success!

Two  :%:  :%:  gives me 3 successes - for the following:

6 Successes (or 7 if the Introduction is included)
1 Fail

Which is either a Great or Extraordinary result for the Encounter Outcome.

BAM!

Paul, you will have to let me know if there were any Standing modifiers, Prejudices, or additional modifiers.

As for Tate, he can stand there and look dandy as any minstrel should.  ;)  (-D

Posterboy

:ooc: Yeah, yeah! Tate's here, like a clutch-purse on Esgalwen's arm, accessorizing her fair features and making her look extra pretty.

Sorry... work had me by the gonads.  :o

tomcat

:ooc: LOL!

Sorry, Ayrn...I know how that can be.

As I said above, add some tests, narrative and dialogue and Paul can retcon it as needed. I just was having some fun with Esgalwen.

Eclecticon

"Well then, welcome Esgalwen, messenger of the House of Beorn, and Tate of the Lake."  Ava visibly relaxes as she leads the small group into one of the largest houses.  "It is well that you have come, and your swift action to recapture the kin-slayer will not soon be forgotten.  The man you seek is Oderic, son of Odocar, though his family were slain by outlaws in the dark years before the death of the dragon, and he was fostered by Helmgut.  He was a violent youth who grew into a violent man, and it is no surprise to me that he slew his brother-in-law...  But I am getting ahead of myself." 

Sitting her father down on a bench and making sure that he is comfortable, Ava makes an effort to compose herself.  As she does, the axe-man, silent until now, says "forgive me for intruding.  I am Williferd, son of Geliferd, whom men name Leatherfoot.  Oderic was dark and wilful, but a great warrior.  He saved my life two years ago when we were surprised on the hunt by men from the south, who bore a red circle upon their shields.  They broke my axe-handle with their swords, but Oderic slew one and then another, and bought me time to escape." 

Ava scowls at Williferd, but does not speak further until he has finished.  "Skilled as he was, he never matched the abilities of his foster-father.  Nor was he a greater warrior than Rathfic, who came here from the mountains and married Oderic's foster-sister Brunhild.  I think that rivalry was in large part the cause of the feud between the two.  In any case, ten days ago the two fought and Rathfic was slain.  When the fighting-madness left Oderic, Helmgut bade him surrender and held him until Beorn's law-speaker came to take him to trial at the Carrock.  I am dismayed that they never made it there, for I fear that the sorrows that the murder has caused will not leave this village until justice is seen to be done." 

She stands, her expression businesslike, and smooths her apron down.  "I have not seen Oderic since, but it may well be that others here have done so in secret.  I will announce you as Beorn's emissaries, and tonight we will feast, though I fear it will be poor fare for those who have just come from our lord and protector's house.  Please do all that you can to find Oderic and make sure that he faces the law of our people." 

Character sheet

tomcat

"We truly appreciate your hospitality," answered the Dúnadan. "And we will see that this man is apprehended and any blemish on your people removed." Esgalwen then turned to Williferd, "And sir, I promise it is not our purpose here to pass judgement on the man that has your respect, merely to see that he is brought before the protector of your people and your laws."

The Ranger held out a token of Beorn's son and house, "I know that we are not of your folk, but I promise you that we represent the Master of the Carrock and will see his wishes done." She then turned back to Ava, "Do you think it wise that maybe we speak to Brunhild, before the meal this night? We are not rushed, but there is an urgency should our quarry once more take flight."

:ooc: Hey Paul, is it safe to assume that we have a token of Grimbeorn's that would grant us some form of authority among these people - seeing as Tate and I are both from far away places? Not so much a badge, but something that essentially deputizes us?

If not, dismiss that part of my narrative above.

Eclecticon

:ooc: That seems reasonable.  I'll say that it's a wooden pendant in the shape of a bee, strung on a leather cord, and whittled, it is said, by the bare fingernails of Beorn himself. 

More story to follow, but probably tomorrow.

Character sheet

Posterboy

Tate had remained mostly quiet during the introductions, allowing Esgalwen to take charge. He hardly considered himself a representative of Lord Grimbeorn, much less his father. Still, Tate knew his manners and gave his introductions and pleasantries, nodding and smiling freely.

When Willifred mentioned how Oderic had protected him from the "men from south with the red circle shields", Tate remained quiet and patiently waited until Ava and Esgalwen finished speaking. When arrangements had been made for an opportunity to meet the villagers, Tate turned back to Willifred.

"Can you tell me more about the time Oderic saved your life? I am especially interested in hearing more about these men bearing the red circle on their shields," Tate inquired. "I have heard whispers of these brutes. Do they continue to trouble you?"

Eclecticon

Ava purses her lips at Esgalwen's suggestion, but nods.  "At this time of day, she will likely be by the grave of her husband, not far from a copse of trees beyond the fields.  Please..." she begins to say something but does not finish the thought. 

Williferd looks somewhat abashed at Tate, and says "there is not much to the story, really.  We were out a-hunting, and I suspect they were too, though it is possible that they were scouting the area for a larger raiding party.  From the burrs in their hair and the filth on their clothes, they had been travelling for some time before we met.  I remember that they spoke some words much alike to the tongue of we who dwell in the Anduin vales, so I suspect that they did not come from very far away.  Four of them, there were, and two of us, and their swords were well-made, to hew so through a stout axe-handle.  But, as I said, Oderic thrust his spear through the breast of one man, then turned in a rage and smote another through the side, whereupon the red-circle men fled." 

Character sheet

tomcat

Ava's reaction left Esgalwen confused. She did not want to stir troubles with the townsfolk, nor did she want to disturb a grieving woman. But time was of the essence and the longer they waited, the further Oderic could be moving away from them.

Esgalwen made up her mind, "We shall see this woman, but we shall be discreet and respectful. You have my word." The Ranger looked to Tate to see if his interest in the Blood Raider's had been sated.

Once done, they headed off in the direction that Ava showed them where they would find the widow, Brunhild.