• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:35 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

FELLOWSHIP PHASE -

Started by tomcat, Jan 22, 2018, 10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc:  Introduction

TN 14 awe 3d
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 5, 1, total 9

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: She'll use 1 :vv: to assure she makes a proper greeting  :csu:

Tolerance is 4

I am going to assume two modifiers [let me know if you want me to change, Paul]:

• already known and appreciated among the people they meet (+2), or at least the deeds are rumored at, so making it a (+1)

• is carrying a message or is on an errand from someone respected by the people encountered (+1); Esgalwen is coming representing Ecthelion of Gondor. I am going to assume she has some kind of ring or seal that marks her words as his.

Esgalwen will make a series of inspiring statements about the greatness of Gondor and the Dúnedain and how an alliance with the Northmen has been a boon for both - speaking, too, of Rohan and Eol, etc.

She will also make a series of Persuade rolls to try and get King Bard to open communication, trade, and security between the two realms.

I will roll a few rolls now, and see how many successes I achieve before the Tolerance is met.

Inspire
TN 14 inspire 2d+2
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6+2 : 4, 5 + 2, total 11

:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6+2 : 1, 4 + 2, total 7

:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6+2 : 6, 3 + 2, total 11

:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6+2 : 3, 6 + 2, total 11

Persuade
TN 14 inspire 3d+2
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6+2 : 3, 4, 1 + 2, total 10

:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6+2 : 4, 5, 5 + 2, total 16

:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6+2 : 6, 1, 3 + 2, total 12

:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6+2 : 2, 5, 4 + 2, total 13

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jan 28, 2018, 08:23 AM #32 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2018, 10:51 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Esgalwen achieves nine successes for her tests, and only 2 fails (even though they were :~~:'s)

I am going to assume that the :~~: fails came when she spoke harshly of the dangers around the king's realm - he knows it but doesn't like hearing about it.

Bottom line, she achieved and Extraordinary success on the Encounter Outcome table [TOR pg.189]. If you have other modifiers or changes to add, Paul, that change this result - that is cool.

She entered the hall of King Bard to the announcement of his herald, "The Lady Esgalwen of Gondor, ambassador of Ecthelion II, Steward of Gondor!"

Esgalwen made a sweeping bow to the king, more common a gesture from a man, which caused Bard to shift in his seat. A woman of the court curtsied.

The Dúnadan woman saw his shift and quickly spoke, "King Bard of Dale, great are the deeds of your folk heard by us from afar! The death of the great wyrm Smaug, at your hands! Your glory on the field before the gates of Erebor. Strong alliances you have achieved with your neighbors and prosperity returns to the north!

"I am Esgalwen, daughter of Eradan. A Ranger of Ithilien sent north by Turgon of Gondor, former Steward of my realm, to gather information and seek audience with the great Men, Elves, and Dwarves of Mirkwood."

"We have heard of Turgon's passing...deeply grieved are we at the news," spoke the king for the first time.

"As are we, your Majesty, though my purpose remains and my service now lies with Ecthelion, son of Turgon, who now rules Gondor."

"What can I and the realm of Dale, do for you Lady Esgalwen, and for Gondor?"

"Nay, your Majesty, I do not seek anything from you and yours, my Lord. I have come to offer mine services and sword to your throne. To speak for Ecthelion at this time in hopes to lay the seeds of common alliance. To let you know that the strength of Gondor is there to help shield the north lands and that our mutual defense is in the best interest of both realms.

"I come to you after my Company - Grimbeorn, son of Beorn, Arbgoast, son of Lafdag, and Morirúsë, a great Elf out of the west - has slain the Fell-beast, Mornhûn - more commonly known as the Beast of Mirkwood. I come to you after great events in the south of Mirkwood. I come to you after great events in the north - in Dale and Erebor.

"But as you know, my Lord, the forest is still plagued with danger. The Shadow still haunts the lands and it seems that things become darker beside all of our efforts. In Mordor, the fires of Orodruin have burst forth and the Dark Lord has once more announced himself. It is a time that the Free Peoples of all lands make an alliance to assure our common good."

"Dale is strong, and we grow stronger each day, Lady Esgalwen, but what can we offer Gondor so far away?"

"Again, your Majesty, it is not my position to ask anything of you, or to offer naught else but Ecthelion's assurance that if you stand with Gondor, Gondor will stand with you and Dale."

Bard sat silent for a few moments. He was known as a renowned archer and warrior, but too, was spoken of his wisdom. "It is very easy to speak words in times of peace, Lady Esgalwen, for such are these days. Yes, there are threats, but for the moment our lands know peace and well-being. To affirm an alliance in haste is short-sided of thought, but I will heed your words. I will say now and thus may you send word to Minas Tirith, Bard is Gondor's friend and Dale will stand alongside against our common Enemy. But to speak further at this time would be insincere. I accept your service to my court. How long can you stay, Lady of Gondor?"

"My duties are many, King Bard, but I offer you my time and service until the end of this year. I would ask, too, the freedom to move between the three realms, at those Lords' permission, to carry word to and fro of my embassy."

The king nodded. "Seems a fair, and wise request. Lady Esgalwen, you are in service to my throne until the end of this year. I would ask that your embassy might also include mine? I would speak of your duties as a woman in my court, but it seems, based on word of your sword work, that such instruction would demean you if I did not grant full service as a lady-at-arms. Welcome, Lady Esgalwen! We are the better for your coming!"

Around the chamber, the court of Bard exploded in cheers and clapping. The royals and nobles of the small realm, newly appointed most of them, primarily due to their wealth, amassed around the women in greetings. Esgalwen was thoughtful and smiled at each, shaking extended hands and thanking them for their hospitality. It would be a busy year, but it would be worth it in the end for Gondor.

Looking around the room as she made her acquaintances, Esgalwen could see the smiling face of Tate in the back of the chamber, waiting near the doors to the hall. She gave him a nod and a smile. It would be a busy year.

tomcat

:ooc: Fellowship mechanics, Paul - do we want to call this a Meet Patron?

You can add any other backstory you want or need for Esgalwen during her year of service to King Bard of Dale. It is her goal to create the alliances that she is seeking, at least as far as making sure the Free Peoples will stand united against their common foe - not necessarily providing troops or materials. Although, she might make an appeal to Ecthelion to send Gondorian arms. Might be moot, though, since Erebor and the Dwarven-smiths are here, and make some of the best.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Bard as a patron sounds about right.  There probably isn't a huge amount that Bard and Dale can realistically do for each other at the moment - too much country (and too much of it threatened by Sauron) in between, and too few needs that either one can satisfy for the other.  But diplomatic relations have been established, and the recognition of far and ancient Gondor won't hurt King Bard's domestic prestige.  We'll see where the Tale of Years takes the relationship between the two kingdoms. 

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Jan 28, 2018, 05:22 AM:ooc: Ah, yes well I'd certainly do that instead.

:ooc: Nice.  Grimbeorn can knock off four Shadow points for his nocturnal excursion to the Carrock.  I can't update your sheet until you leave Doug's campaign (TOR) on the profiler site, so I'll take it that you've done this yourself. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet