• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 27, 2024, 11:51 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Lair - round 11

Started by tomcat, Jan 18, 2018, 05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

:ooc: give me a chance to work something up and I'll post it here. I need to think through a couple things and then get my thoughts together.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Esgalwen pushed herself up from the floor of the cave, using the wall to support herself. Her body ached from the excessive pounding it had received from the monster. Three times it had slammed her into the wall and only her armour, along with a little luck, had kept the wolf's fangs from disemboweling her.

Each of her companions were in their own thoughts but the Dúnadan woman did not pay them any attention. Instead she slowly strode to where the waterfall fell in golden and silver hues, staring at it in amazement. The light encouraged her and she felt the pain leave her torso, the bruising and swelling starting to fade.

They had won a great victory.

They had beaten back the Shadow, if only in this small part of the world. Still, it was a victory that would unite the men and women of Mirkwood. It was a victory like that of the death of Smaug.

She turned back to her friends and gave a tired smile. It was time to rest.

They had earned it.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

The form of the great beast began to burn away. First it was the great whiskers of the beast, and the long hair of its tail. Next the pelt of the beast began to crumble into fine ash and the sinew and muscle followed suit. The great head and eyes of the beast were locked on the elf, and these were the last to be touched by the consuming nature of the light. While the corporeal nature of the beast perished a great dark spirit remained. A cloud as dark as the pit that Esgalwen had fallen into under the mountain. A presence so filled with hate it made the skin crawl despite having no solid form.

This dark cloud latched onto the Noldo elf, and in his turn a great white light surrounded the elf so that his physical body too became hard to discern. The blackness surrounded it and the burning eyes of the beast still drilled into Morirúsë. The light of the elf grew smaller and smaller as the tendrils of the beast wrapped around him and squeezed, breaking down the barriers of the light and like a dark sap flooded into cracks and sections of the light. The nature of the elf was compressed into a fine point of light, a candle wavering in the winter wind.
Then the tide turned. The fine point of light reduced to its core began to grow again. The light that had almost guttered out grew and grew. The shape of the elf was discernable again in the light and it threw back the darkness. The shape reared and backed away from the elf and burst like a black ball of pitch. The shape of it was burned into the wall of the cavern and a putrid smell rushed out of the cave, fine soot lacking substance or consistency covered the wall.

The light surrounding the elf went out and his body remained. The sword arm was at his side and he swayed on his feet.

"We have triumphed, the beast is gone in form and spirit."

The elf swooned and fell to the ground utterly exhausted, unconscious, but still breathing.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

GandalfOfBorg

It was done at last. Grimbeorn sought out his friends to make sure they were alright and then he saw the form of the elf laying upon the floor.  "That elf thinks he's so high and mighty.  I bet he thinks we'll just cart him out of here, a great hero."  The Beorning gives a rare chuckle at his own jest.  "Esgalwen, is the lamp lost, too far out of reach to rescue?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Nearby, Arbogast helps Esgalwen, still weakened and bloodied from the battle, to her feet.  "Leave her," he says, "and leave the lamp, too.  It has shone this day as the Lamp of Balthi has not done in centuries, and I doubt there is much of it left to find." 

He turns his head at a slight sound from the cave opening.  "That aside," he adds, "we are not alone here."  Checking that Esgalwen can stand on her own, he turns back to the Beorning.  "Come.  Let us see who has come so far to meet us." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I will post Fellowship Phase tomorrow along with rewards.

I am not sure I am going to give any other story than that all the PC's leave the cave.

Paul - it is all yours from there.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: is the lamp recoverable
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Posterboy

As the warg before him fell to Stig's arrow, Kolbeinn focused his eyes on the cave before him. Already, in his heart, he knew they had found the beast he had sought all these years, that his father before him had sought, and his father's father. Here, now, he stood before the dark spirit's lair and already, as the brilliant light pulsed out from the cave, the force knocking him to the ground, Kol knew the creature was already slain and it would not be his blade that put it down. While there was joy in his heart, it was tainted with envy and choked out with bitterness.

The man of Dale rose again and, with a jealous heart, moved towards the cave.

"Kol?" Tate called out to his friend. Kolbeinn didn't turn, so focused on finding the beast he was. "Kol!"

The three companions looked to one another, gathered themselves and followed after their leader and friend.

Kol entered into lair, his eyes quickly assessing the situation, taking note of the fair woman wounded, the rugged warrior caring for her, the giant of a man with his might axe, and the elf-kind lying on the floor amongst the dead wolves that littered the floor. The beast was not amongst them.

"Where is he!?!" Kol demanded.

"Kol," Tate came and put hand on his friend's shoulder. "...stop."

Kol shrugged his friend's hand away. "Where is the beast!?!" he called out, looking first to Arbogast, then to Grimbeorn. "Where is he?!?"

The stoic Dorwinion simply said, "It's over, Kolbeinn. It's finished."

"NO!" Kolbeinn swung around, sword still in hand, his blade a challenge. The Dalish warrior was in a rage now. "His body is not amongst the dead." Turning back to Grimbeorn and Arbogast, "Tell me where he is?! He is mine!"

:ooc: I don't want to take liberties for your characters. If you want to role play this out, cool. If not, I can simply write that Arbogast relates the story of the wolf burning up and go from there.

Posterboy

The Woodland warrior answered the raging King's Man, "Your companion is right. The beast of Mirkwood is dead." Bathed in the light of the waterfall, Arbogast proceeded to tell the hunting party the fate of the beast, how the now unconscious elf had cut off it's head, and how the light from elven made device had burned away the foul creature's spirit. He finished his story by pointing to the image of the beast etched into the rock of the cavern wall. "This is all that remains."

Kolbeinn looked up in wonder at the image of the werewolf. "You were supposed to be mine," he mumbled. "Mine!" He dropped to his knees, hot and bitter tears streamed down his face.

Tate looked around at those who had slayed the beast. "Forgive my friend. He has been fed stories of bringing this creature to justice since he was a boy. To be so close to achieving what he kin before him could not..."

"Feels like being robbed," Kilic stated flatly.

Tate gave a slight nod to the Dorwinion, and looked upon Kol with compassion for a long moment before returning his gaze to Arbogast. "We are glad for your victory, and celebrate your triumph. It is a good day for our peoples. May we help dress your wounds?"

:ooc: Again, if you like, we can role play this out... or not. If not, Kol will spend a long time in front of the image of the werewolf, mumbling to himself. Tate will warn any of their new companions to leave Kol be. Should any of your characters interrupt Kol, especially the elf, the Dalish warrior will likely lash out with a verbal barrage if not with an actual challenge.

Otherwise, Tate, Kilic and Stig will offer whatever aid they can and share whatever provisions they have. Tate and Stig will also want to explore/search the rest of the cave, looking to see if there are any treasures to be found.

Should the Elf notice the elven lamp Tate picked up from outside and wish to have it, Tate will return it to him without hesitation.

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Ayrn - I don't think anyone is ignoring your posts, and I am definitely going to give you some replies for Esgalwen.

I just think we are all coming down from the long episode and Paul is getting ready to take over. Matt was away, too.

I will give you a in-game post in a just a bit

tomcat

Jan 23, 2018, 08:28 AM #40 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018, 08:30 AM by tomcat
"Forgive us," said Esgalwen wearily. She used the offered shoulder of her friend and approached the newcomers. "We four are travelers out of the south and we have been pursuing the beast you sought, after it attacked us near Woodland Hall."

The others could immediately see she was no Woodman, though her clothing affected such.

"Long has been our travel and great our sacrifices, so any aid you may offer would be greatly appreciated. But have no fear - the beast is quite dead. It was burned away by the light of the Elves, and great power is theirs to control."

Arbogast aided her to a soft place under a fir tree, on a bed of needles. The day's light was beginning to fail as the sun moved west, but still the fresh air and breezes improved the ranger's heart.

"I am Esgalwen, daughter of Eradan, of Ithilien far to the south. These are my boon companions, Arbogast of the Woodmen, Grimbeorn, son of Beorn, and the fallen Elf is Morirúsë."

Posterboy

:ooc: Yeah, my apologies if my second post came too quick, or my last set of OOC comments sounded snappy... I did not mean to do so (Blast you text-based gaming platform! Unable to communicate tone of voice and body language!)

Anyway, not worries about no quick responses. I'm only posting because I got space and time and stuff in my head to write.  :tup:

Coming in when this hunting party did and the original companions slaying the werewolf before Kol could even lay eyes on it totally changed the outcome of what I thought Kol would go. At the start of creating him, I had ideas of carrying him forward into the rest of the campaign with possible love relationship striking up between him and Esgalwen and all the ways that would impact the campaign setting, and far as trade and politics.

But then this side story of why Kol is actually hunting the werewolf came out, and the thought of what if some of the taint from the evil spirit took up residence inside Kol and attached itself to Kol's obsession of killing the werewolf... especially if he was a seasoned warrior like Arbogast and didn't actually have full hope and no shadow points... maybe this actually becomes the tipping point, where Kol goes home a bitter man, never fully recovering, always holding resentment towards this 4 strangers, especially the elf.

What if Kol actually begins to work against the 4 companions (subtly or openly)? I feel like that is the way Kol is going.

Kilic, I imagine, will likely look to settle down, marry and raise a family... not sure yet if he'll settle in Dale or Dorwinion.

I see Stig continuing to interact with Tate and distancing himself from Kol as Kol's path turns darker. He's available to pick up as a character... though, if he hears of Bandy, he may be tempted to seek his kin out.

Tate is the only one I can see moving forward, though his loyalty to Kol may keep him stuck.

Paul, when are you hoping to start the next leg of our journey? This week already, or next?   

tomcat

Quote from: Posterboy on Jan 23, 2018, 09:06 AM:ooc: Yeah, my apologies if my second post came too quick, or my last set of OOC comments sounded snappy... I did not mean to do so (Blast you text-based gaming platform! Unable to communicate tone of voice and body language!)

Anyway, not worries about no quick responses. I'm only posting because I got space and time and stuff in my head to write.  :tup:

Coming in when this hunting party did and the original companions slaying the werewolf before Kol could even lay eyes on it totally changed the outcome of what I thought Kol would go. At the start of creating him, I had ideas of carrying him forward into the rest of the campaign with possible love relationship striking up between him and Esgalwen and all the ways that would impact the campaign setting, and far as trade and politics.

But then this side story of why Kol is actually hunting the werewolf came out, and the thought of what if some of the taint from the evil spirit took up residence inside Kol and attached itself to Kol's obsession of killing the werewolf... especially if he was a seasoned warrior like Arbogast and didn't actually have full hope and no shadow points... maybe this actually becomes the tipping point, where Kol goes home a bitter man, never fully recovering, always holding resentment towards this 4 strangers, especially the elf.

What if Kol actually begins to work against the 4 companions (subtly or openly)? I feel like that is the way Kol is going.

Kilic, I imagine, will likely look to settle down, marry and raise a family... not sure yet if he'll settle in Dale or Dorwinion.

I see Stig continuing to interact with Tate and distancing himself from Kol as Kol's path turns darker. He's available to pick up as a character... though, if he hears of Bandy, he may be tempted to seek his kin out.

Tate is the only one I can see moving forward, though his loyalty to Kol may keep him stuck.

Paul, when are you hoping to start the next leg of our journey? This week already, or next?  

:ooc: It's totally cool. I didn't take anything as snappy. I just didn't want you to not get a response.  ;)

Eclecticon

Quote from: Posterboy on Jan 23, 2018, 09:06 AM:ooc: maybe this actually becomes the tipping point, where Kol goes home a bitter man, never fully recovering, always holding resentment towards this 4 strangers, especially the elf.

:ooc: I like the way you think, sir.

As for the next story, that's kind of up to you guys - I'll start it when everyone's head a crack at the Fellowship phase.  I know that doesn't leave you with a lot to do mechanically, but obviously feel free to add as much narration as you can physically tolerate to pass the time.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Just as an FYI - I am ready to go whenever our Loremaster is.