• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 07:03 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Living and the Dead

Started by tomcat, Oct 12, 2017, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Arbogast looks sidelong at Grimbeorn and Esgalwen as Morirúsë speaks to those who may tarry only in his long memory.  When the attention of the Elf appears to have returned to the here and now, he responds.  "Would that it were otherwise, but I cannot but suppose that they be about some dark business.  I am weary to my bones, though, and this perhaps darkens my mind and turns my thoughts against my fellow Men.  Have you the eyes to see them clearer?" 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Morirúsë stood and cast the hood of his cloak back. Even through all their trials and travels the elf looked clean and fresh, but all knew the deep weariness he carried.

Shading his eyes from the light he looked upon the road and attempted to discern something of the men that passed there.
Awareness
Rolled 1d12 : 10, total 10

Rolled 5d6 : 1, 4, 3, 2, 4, total 14
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Telcontar

Oct 20, 2017, 03:36 AM #32 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2017, 03:38 AM by Telcontar
 :ooc: doug does an 18 do anything for us?

Edit: should be 14 I rolled an extra die so that last four is a no go.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: No, your 14 is good enough, Tom.

Feel free to respond further on this post. I promise that it won't take as long between my responses. I have been studying this week for a test next Friday,
 but I am giving myself the weekend off. Once it is done, I will be quicker on responses then, too.

The Noldo peered through the trees and murk and looked closely at the men that disappeared to the east.

Their gait appeared crooked and they were wrapped in what looked to be tattered cloaks - in their hands were shields and a long spear in the other. If they were sentries or guardians of the ancient Dwarf-hold, than surely they were far from any other settlement of Men, but there was an oddness about them.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Morirúsë turned to his companions.
"They are men folk, geared for war with lance and shield, but they are well worn and not perfectly supplied. I don't believe they to be guards for your friends, and there is something not quite right about them.."

The elf shaded his eyes and looked again, "Much do I know and more do I see, one of them has a limp from a childhood injury that was not set right, and another snores when he sleeps."

The elf laughed and lowered his hand and was serious again, "I believe it best to avoid them."

"What do your gifts tell you Arbogast, were you not graced with the speech of birds? Perhaps they may tell you of these men, or of the passing of our quarry. Should we make for that ruin and camp there? Perhaps if we can find a room not wholly ruined we may light the elven lamps without fear of attracting the werewolf."

Morirúsë was glad of the lamps, something in their light he found warming and comfortable. Though they had used them seldom now that they had passed north of the road he was cheered by the light and comforted by its presence.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"Nought of use have I heard from the birds regarding either.  The land through which we make our way is the domain of few birds beyond the gore-crows, who see both them and us as little more than meat yet afoot.  I am put in mind, though, of tales known to the eldest of my folk.  They speak of lines of Men who in ages past turned away from their kin to live as beasts in the Wood, and who venerate the spiders as dark and terrible gods." 

He considers the Beacon Tower for a time before continuing.  "The ruin, as you name it, was built by the same hands as the road, and is likely still intact in parts.  I am told that, in days gone by, it withstood assaults by the servants of Dol Guldur.  It may be that it now stands empty.  If so, it would allow us some respite before we brave the pass deeper into the mountains.  I am minded to try for it, once we can no longer be seen by others on the road." 

Character sheet

Telcontar

The Noldo elf almost felt that his sword stirred to the mention of spiders.

"Vile spawn of a terrible beast, but how much more horrible that any would worship them. A foul poison on this land. The deeds you and your companions did to thwart them are to be praised, and I doubt these men would be overly fond to find you back in their wood." 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

"The old fortress sounds like a good idea to me, as well," said Esgalwen. Her hair was matted down from the humidity and stuck to her face. Just to be able to remove her backpack and sleep for a while would make it all worth it.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Going with the assumption that the company will head for the tower - Arbogast suggested it, Esgalwen agreed, Matt is in Ireland, and the Elf needs sleep.

I am gathering some imagery, but will have a post up tonight or tomorrow.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Matt wishes he were back in Ireland.   Grimbeorn is good for going to the tower.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: Welcome home, Matt! Pictures on Facebook were awesome.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Thanks, don't afraid to use some of them ;) The trip was a blast (no pun intended for hurricane), can't wait to plan the next one.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

The murky light under the boughs was slowly becoming darker, as the day's light was waning.

The companions waited until the three figures were well out of sight before they recommenced their own journey. The Beacon Tower's call was great and it was decided that it would provide them a few opportunities.

One, it would or at least should be a secure place to rest. Even if the gates were compromised, it appeared vast enough to allow the four heroes to find a place to hide, so as to recuperate their strength.

Two, the old tower still stood and it rose higher than the trees. If they were able to climb to one of its high balconies, they might be able to get a good view of where they were within the forest. Also, it would afford them the chance to breath clean air, once more.

The third hope was that maybe there were friends within. It was said that the old tower had never been taken in battle, but was abandoned. Perhaps the mere thought of its former prowess kept enemies away and gave succor to those that might be allies. Surely, thought Morirúsë, the Dwarves would strive for it, and the Elves would use it at times when they traveled.

The Dwarves had raised the castle when they built the Forest Road. It was located on a rocky promontory on the northern slopes of the Haunted Hills. The forest had reclaimed the castle walls and outbuildings, but the main keep and its tall tower still stood proud of the surrounding trees. Rumors spoke of mines
and tunnels beneath the keep delved into the hillsides. The Dwarves had found tin and iron there and excavated it to assist in their metal-works. The tower endured many sieges by the forces of Dol Guldur, but no foe ever took it in battle. It was said the Beacon Tower fell from within, when the Dwarves turned on each other.

The companions left the evident road and marched south. Weary to the bone, they at last passed through the moss-covered, broken outer walls and looked upon the old keep. It stood, though it was shattered in a number of places. From the keep rose the tower, covered as it was with ivy and webs. It cleared the upper-level of the treetops and into the early evening sky.

Esgalwen looked around. "Let us explore this keep before we are deep in darkness."

GandalfOfBorg

"Well let's be careful with this.  No need to be caught unawares like flies in a web again," cautioned Grimbeorn.  Their past adventures still weighed upon him.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Eclecticon

Arbogast nods, and moves into the keep ahead of his companions.  Straining against the fatigue that weighs down his eyelids and whispers in his mind of the delights of rest and sleep, he tries to stay alert to the sounds and smells of this unfamiliar place. 

:ooc: I don't expect anything great to come of this, but Arbogast will scout ahead.  Explore and Awareness rolls follow, if you need them. 

Explore:
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 4, total 11

Awareness:
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 5, total 8

Character sheet