• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:49 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Living and the Dead

Started by tomcat, Oct 12, 2017, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Oct 12, 2017, 12:58 PM Last Edit: Oct 12, 2017, 05:45 PM by tomcat
It turned out that the companions would wait one more day.

The travel would be long and dangerous and supplies were critical to survival. Codi was hesitant to offer any of his stores, but he made sure they had water and dry cram in good supply. It was Grimbeorn and Arbogast's return in the early afternoon of that day with a small deer. The successful hunt was immediately dressed down and the meat quickly harvested. The companions then set about cooking the meat until it was well-done and cured as possible. It would last the better part of their trip.

After three days in the small outpost, and with no sight of Borfri or Rorin, the companions rose with the early light and prepared their things. Arbogast made a mental count of days and determined that it was the 25th of October. He hoped that they would be done with their task well before the coming of winter.

Their packs on shoulders, the four companions gave thanks to Codi and set off once more deeper into the eerie light of Mirkwood.

:ooc: This is the next leg of our 3-leg journey.

Leg Two  will start at the Roadwarden Outpost and travel east along the Old Dwarf Road, passing the Haunted Hills,  and going further until the company can turn north to the mountains.

Distance = 60 to 120 miles (20 to 40 leagues) depending on whether the Company wants to travel all the way across Mirkwood, or cut north through the Pass of the Mountains of Shadow. You guys need to let me know (map below).

Terrain = Daunting but I am reducing to Severe due to the opportunity to follow remnants of the Dwarf Road  x3

Speed (on foot) = 20 miles per day

TOTAL = 9 to 18 days dependent on your decision of course; with 3 or 6 Fatigue tests at TN 20; may roll Lore test TN 14 for advantage dice

I will conduct tests after I hear the party consensus.

Esgalwen and Morirúsë updated for last day of rest  :csu:
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn argues that they shouldn't waste time taking the "safer" route, believing that speed is required in their endeavor.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc: I kind of messed up that map above...it is not clear as to distances.

I will update shortly.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Competing impulses struggle within Arbogast's heart.  On the one hand, a shorter route will see the journey over sooner, and return him the sooner to his home, hearth and family.  On the other, the longer route holds out a promise of greater likelihood of eventual success.  His mind gnaws at the question like a hound with a bone for a while but, as ever, his patience wins out. 

"I hold that the way around the mountains, while longer, will present dangers better known to us.  The Wood we know well, but I know little of what we may face in the mountains that rise above it.  It serves no-one but the Enemy if we are delayed, or beaten back, by malefactors we knew not to prepare for." 

:ooc: Despite his words, Arbogast is equivocal on this one - it's not a hill he'll die on.  If Tom wants to use his casting vote to go through the pass, then he'll go over the mountains without any griping.   
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: I updated the map.

Now it should be easier to understand the two options for our current Leg 2 and the following Leg 3

Telcontar

Morirúsë spent the time in the Wood Cutters lodge thinking on all that had transpired. The journey through the forest had wearied him and his experience swimming the river had changed him. Since being at the lodge he had slept deeply to recover his weariness in body and soul. He had been dreaming in those times, but he could not remember his dreams. He awoke each morning feeling as if some debate had raged within him, or that something he once knew, or needed to know, was coming to the fore.

The debate as to which road to take broke him from his silent reflection.
"Danger and the journey's end will find us no matter the road that we take. Whether it be short or long we will not escape our fate. Our only real choice has been wether to hunt the beast or not, and having made that choice we have bound ourselves to what may be."

The elf thought for awhile in silence, watching the wisps of breeze from the rough cut roof stir the ash of the evenings fire.

"Grimbeorn Madiglihe, yours is the hand that will rule your people. You have decided, so let it be so."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Cool - choice 1 it is, which means the party will go to the first dot and then travel north through the pass of the mountains.

Leg Two will start at the Roadwarden Outpost and travel east along the Old Dwarf Road, to the Haunted Hills. From there, the company will turn north to the mountain pass.

Distance = 60 miles (20 leagues)

Terrain = Daunting but I am reducing to Severe due to the opportunity to follow remnants of the Dwarf Road  x3

Speed (on foot) = 20 miles per day

TOTAL = 9 days of travel; with 3 Fatigue tests at TN 20; may roll Lore test TN 14 for advantage dice

DICE ROLLS

Lore tests
TN 14 lore by PC
:00: Esgalwen 1d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

:00: Grimbeorn 2d 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7

• Arbogast will rely on his Mirkwood-lore for an auto-success and 1 advantage die
• I am leaving Morirúsë's use of lore skills in Tom's hands.

Fatigue test 1 -
TN 20 Travel by PC
:00: Arbogast 3d 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 3, 5, total 9

:00: Esgalwen 3d 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 5, 1, total 7

:00: Grimbeorn 4d 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 1, 3, 6, total 15

:00: Morirúsë 3d 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 6, 6, total 15

Fatigue test 2 -
TN 20 Travel by PC
:00: Arbogast 3d 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 2, 3, total 11

:00: Esgalwen 3d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 6, 5, total 15

:00: Grimbeorn 4d 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 3, 4, 1, total 10

:00: Morirúsë 3d 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 6, total 13

Fatigue test 3 -
TN 20 Travel by PC
:00: Arbogast 3d 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 1, 1, total 3

:00: Esgalwen 3d 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 6, 4, total 12

:00: Grimbeorn 4d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 4d6 : 6, 2, 2, 2, total 12

:00: Morirúsë 3d 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 2, 5, total 13

Telcontar

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Oct 15, 2017, 12:35 PM #8 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 12:36 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Yikes...quite a few Hazards rolled.

RESULTS

LORE
• Grimbeorn earns 1 advantage die
• Arbogast earns 1 advantage die

TRAVEL
Group 1
• Arbogast fails test 1 by 7 and accrues 3 fatigue (may use Advantage die and 1 :vv: )
• Esgalwen fails test 1 by 11 and accrues 3 fatigue  :csu:
• Grimbeorn fails test 1 by 3 and accrues 3 fatigue (will use 1 :vv: to make this a success)  :csu:
• Morirúsë fails test 1 by 2 and accrues 3 fatigue (may use a :vv: )

Group 2
• Arbogast fails test 2 by 8 and accrues 3 fatigue (may use Advantage die and 1 :vv: )
• Esgalwen succeeds on test 2 with a great success
• Grimbeorn fails test 2 by 1 and accrues 3 fatigue (will use Advantage die here to make this a success)  :csu:
• Morirúsë fails test 2 by 7 and accrues 3 fatigue HAZARD

Group 3
• Arbogast fails test 3 by 15 and accrues 3 fatigue
• Esgalwen fails test 3 by 8 and accrues 3 fatigue HAZARD  :csu:
• Grimbeorn succeeds test 3 with a :g: great success  :csu:
• Morirúsë fails test 3 by 7 and accrues 3 fatigue HAZARD

• Since Matt is out of town, I am going to assume he will use the Advantage and 1 :vv: so that Grimbeorn takes on no fatigue.
• Paul, let me know if you want Arbogast to use a hope plus the advantage die roll on either of his tests where it might prevail.
• Tom...well, it is not looking like this Elf out of the glorious First Age is providing much help.  ;)  (-D

I will determine the HAZARDS in the next series of posts.

tomcat

:ooc: HAZARD EPISODES

Roll the targets:
Rolled 3d12 : 5, 9, 6, total 20

tomcat

:ooc: CHALLENGE ROLES

I will adjust these accordingly based on any Fatigue issues once I get your inputs as to what you guys want to spend to potentially avoid weariness.

Scout (Arbogast)
TN 20 explore 3d
:00: 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 5, 5, total 14

Huntsman (Grimbeorn)
TN 20 hunting 3d
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 4, 3, total 9

Look-out (Morirúsë)
TN 20 Awareness 4d
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 4, 6, 3, total 15

tomcat

Oct 15, 2017, 12:54 PM #11 Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 12:58 PM by tomcat
:ooc: RESULTS

• Arbogast fails his roll, but could succeed with a :vv:. Fatigue will not play into his roll no matter what he determines above and if Arbogast will even be WEARY.

• Grimbeorn auto-succeeds with a :g:

• Tom... (-D not sure what to say here. A :vv: would help, but it depends on whether or not Morirúsë ends up WEARY from above.

I will wait to hear from you guys on the above tests and whether :vv: will be spent on this tests before I determine the next result.

Telcontar

:ooc: ..... uhmmm......he's old?

But probably just cursed.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'm going to hold on to my Hope, thanks.  The fatigue gain will suck, but Arbogast will up his Fragrant Herb intake to compensate. 

Sorry about the Explore fail, guys.  That trail really looked like it had broken flagstones underneath it.

EDIT: :csu:
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc:  Tom, do you have any desire to use Hope on any of your fails above.