• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 27, 2024, 11:48 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Elves in the Bower

Started by tomcat, Jul 27, 2017, 11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

With a hearty laugh, Grimbeorn did join the others and joined in their merriment.  Drink flowed and others called for meat while song and story was spun.  As time went on, tongues loosened and eyes became heavy.  It was then that he began inquiring more into what has been happening of late and why the overbearing eye was given them and others who approach.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, just moving the timeline back a step...

"Oeric, my brother.  Grim is the hour of our arrival, for as my companion says, we are come to hunt the fell Beast of the Wood.  Tell me, how fare our kin?  I have heard also of elves abroad nearby.  Know you aught of this?"
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Quote from: Telcontar on Jul 29, 2017, 05:56 AM"Esgalwen, what light from yon window breaks? Tis a strange and wonderous light me thinks and no hands of Mannish smith had the make of it, nor Gonnhirrim in secreted halls. What know you of this?"

Esgalwen looked to the light that shone mutely from the upper tier of the Woodmen hall. "I know naught, Morirúsë? Is there something special about the light?" To the woman it seemed dim, as if it were covered with a sheer blanket or it shone through dark glass. "Perhaps you can ask Arbogast, for he grew up within this town."

Across the room, Oeric nodded at Arbogast in response, "Yes. News came to us some weeks past of Elves across the river. They have not approached our town, but we do not know why they are here. It is rumored that they hunt the creature that has been filling the nights with dread. A terrible howling that keeps woman and child awake with fright." Arbogast did not hear the same curtness in his brother's voice, as he had during his prior visit. The younger man seemed...afraid. "Mother and father are well, though father has left with others from the village. Uncle Lafdag joined him and they are scouring the territory to assure this beast does not attack. The hope is they can find it and kill it where it sleeps."

And so did the conversation continue as others from the room began to tell their tales. Room was made at the table for the new arrivals and mead cups were filled. Fridwald was here to maintain the town as the other elders hunted the beast. No shame was extended to the man, as he was no longer young and he would have been a liability to the other hunters.

"Men from Woodland Hall have come south, also, to aid in this task, but no word has come from the wood since the parties left."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

It was early and often that Morirúsë heard that seldom the elves of the woo came to the Woodmen. He despaired of explaining that he was no wood elf and instead spoke only that he was here to help slay the beast in question.
He was struck by how youthful a people they were, even that it was mostly the old who had been left behind as a people they seemed young to his eyes and ears. At first it was the irritation of being surounded by children, but soon he warmed to them. It had been long since he had sat at the board with the Atani. 
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Arbogast takes in the sight of his younger brother, marking how he has changed in the nearly two years since they last saw one another.  Oeric's beard is fuller – now that of a full-grown man – and the cares of manhood have just begun to line his face.  Little trace now remains of the boy who once boasted that he would climb the tallest tree in the wood, and spiders be damned!  

The Fire-watcher listens with some alarm Oeric mentions that his father and uncle have gone to hunt the Werewolf.  Lafdag in particular is no suitable hunter of such a thing, with his lamed leg he would be little better than bait.  Yet, as he listens to his brother's accounting of the livestock and property already destroyed, he understands.  Lafdag's steading, lying some distance from the protection of Woodmen-town's palisade, has suffered more than most from the depredations of the Beast.  Now that the local men seek to bring it to bay, they have made sure that they count among their number the one who knows most of its comings and goings.  

Still, though, we ought to find them and send them home, he thinks.  Else we shall find ourselves trying to pull them from a fire they have unwittingly built underneath themselves.

Returning to the others, he relates what he has learned.  "Men of my folk are abroad in the wood, seeking the lair of the Beast, and there are elves nearby, across the Dusky River.  I would seek out both, if such be possible."  

Character sheet

tomcat

"Well the hour is late, Arbogast? Is it your wish to pursue them now or do you want to wait until the morning?" Esgalwen looked at him and waited for a reply.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn's inquires yielded same as Arbogast, hard times and strife where the best was concerned.  When he heard his friend made his call, he returned it with a look of eagerness to return to the road and seek out the men, elves, or beast.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Morirúsë sat and talked and laughed with the men in the hall, the wine and mead seemed to be in endless supply. The elf was not able to rebuff the requests for a song or a tale and eventually he yielded. Bending he picked up an axe and showed the keen edge of the blade to those who stood near him, he set it down and stood, mead in hand.

"Hear now, oh Men of Greenwood the Great a tale of the fathers of the fathers of men. When they woke they first met the elves of the wood, from whom they learned speech and much about the world. Speech was a fine thing, though some here would use it sparingly, but other tools the Fathers of men would need to make their way in the wider world. The Dark Elves had naught but slender bows and hid their faces from the foul beasts of the forest, but not so these fathers of men. They looked to the west and light and would not permit these beasts to keep them from their fate. West they came through forest and plain, until finally they came upon Gonhirrim, the Masters of Stone.

At first the fathers of men ran from this folk, thinking them hoary beasts of steel and scale, but they also heard them speak so in time they approached them. The masters of stone wielded great axes, sharper than any short knife then known by men. In friendship the axe was given to men, and by the Masters of Stone they were taught the felling of trees and the building of halls. So from that day to this in memory of the gift the blade is still called a bearded axe, a gift from the dwarves."

There was laughter around the table at this simple story, "and what of these axes Master Elf, surely they cut more than wood, or do you jest with us Woodmen?" They all laughed again.

Morirúsë took another swallow of wine, "oh so its tales of war you men of the wood wish to hear? those too I have in great store."

"Now these men were great friends of the folk of Durin, and together they went to war against the creatures of shadow. For even in the great and distant past the orcs and wargs were the enemies of all. Ever west however the hearts of the fathers of men yearned and they had heard tell of another settlement of the bearded folk further west, and beyond that the land of great and powerful lords.

The men of the wood were folk of few words, but strong and resolute. In conclave, after few words, but those that bore the truth of the heart, some decided to head west. In time they passed over the Mountains of Song and into the land of the great princes, and there in the woods of Thargelion they made their home, Haladin was there lord then. Quietly they came, as was their wont and dwelled in peace, for a time.

They were a private folk, and their homesteads were far apart from one another, for seldom was their need for the axes of the folk to come together. Upon a night they were beset by a great war party of Orcs from the north. Deadly and swift were the axes of the folk, but too many were the orcs and too scattered were the people to hold them at bay. Then is was that Haldad took up the mantle of chief, where before there was none. Leading the people their axes served as both shield and lance, for they fell the trees and built a great stockade."

Then the elf paused, having the attention of many, he took up the tale again.
"Here is a portion of the tale, as was sung long ago.

The hall of Haldad stood of fir and oak
Around his hearth the stakes of stockade stood planted
A ditch too was dug, deep and warg proof.
Being well pleased Haldan King took to feasting,
In mournful dirge and song for departed kin many cups were raised.

In quiet dark, an orange flame sprung, kindled from some unknown fire
'Lord, our roof has been taken, the hall was built too green'
Cried the young men of the hall.

Then the king, a novice in battle, said:
'This is no dawn from the east, no dragon
flies here, the gables of the hall are not burning,
but orcs are making an attack. Birds of battle screech,
the grey wolf howls, spears rattle,
shield answers shaft. The wandering moon gleams
under the clouds; evil deeds will now
be done, bringing grief to this people.
But rouse yourself now, my warriors!
Grasp your shields, steel yourselves,
fight at the front and be brave!'
Then many a thegn, laden in gold, buckled his war-belt.
Then the stout warriors, Haldad and Haldar,
went to one gate and hefted whetted axes;
Ordlaf and Guthlaf went to guard the door,
and Haleth herself followed in their footsteps.
When he saw this, Haldar said to Haleth
that she would be unwise to go to the hall doors
in the first rush, risking her precious life,
for fearless Haldad was set upon his death.
That daring king drowned the other voices
and demanded openly who made war upon his gate.
'I am Haldad, a prince of the Haladin
and a well-known warrior; I've braved many trials,
tough combats. Even now it is decreed
for you what you can expect of me here.'
Then the din of battle broke out along the wall;
the hollow shield called for men's hands,
helmets burst; the deepening coomb boomed.
Then Garulf, son of Guthlaf, gave his life
in the fight, first of all the warriors
living in that land, and many heroes fell around him,
the corpses of brave men. The raven wheeled,
dusky, dark brown. The gleaming swords so shone
it seemed as if all Thargelion were in flames.
I have never heard of sixty warriors
who bore themselves more bravely in the fight
and never did retainers better repay
glowing mead than those men repaid their lord Haldad.
They fought for five days and not a few of the followers
fell, but they held the gates firmly.
Then Haldad withdrew, a wounded man;
he said that his armour was almost useless,
his corselet broken, his helmet burst open.
The guardian of those people asked at once
how well the warriors had survived their wounds
or which of the young men remained.
Fortune was not with him, for the gates were burst
and the filth of the north spilled forth,
into the green clearing of Haldad's Hall.
The sap had not dried, the bark not curled
When Haldan lord of the Haladin drew his last.
Axes swung, and the black ichor flowed
as Haldar came into his birthright early and in grief.
The gates they closed again, though fewer now were the men
To bar wooden gate against iron and wrath.
Pitch and fire there came again on the sixth day
and then truly were the gables alight
the green beams licked as if by dragons in the moonlight.
Thrice again the gates were bent and burst
and thrice again they were closed
the helm of Haldar stood like gold in the fire light
Though the head that bore it was not Haldar.
He too fell in the bursting of the gates.
To Haleth now, a woman brave and true, the lordship passed
for in her cries and effort the gates were mended and shut once more.
All not in vain for the Haladin
for smoke and fire were not unheaded
And upon the rear of the filth the horses of Caranthir broke the siege.
Though late they were, with their coming
the dirges of Haldan and Haldar were sung
And the Men of Axes took a woman as their lord."

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

"A hunt swiftly over is a hunt well done," comes the reply to Esgalwen, as Morirúsë declaims by the hearth, "and therefore I would be away as soon as you are ready.  Besides..." he trails off, his mien dark. 

Besides, if those fools are not already returning, then they are likely already in peril.

:ooc: Tom, that was awesome!    :>

Character sheet

Telcontar

Morirúsë Finished his tale and bowed.

"Now if anyone can tell me the tale of yon lamp I would consider myself repayed in full!"

The elf let the warriors of the hall toast and laugh and came upon his companions.

"I wouldn't  be so quick to seek the Wood Elves, as big bear says, they are less wise and more dangerous."
The jest was gone from the Elf's face and merriment was set aside.
"Leaving in the night is not the decision of urgency, but desperation. We may miss many an obvious clue in our night haste which would be a telling signal in the light of day."

"Arbogast, the Brown Wizard spoke of the aid of birds. I'm sure if we inquired if the wrens they would tell us what disturbances they had, they wake and sing early and bring news while others are abed."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Arbogast's shoulders slump, barely noticeably.  Quietly, he says "my father is with the men now abroad hunting the Beast, as is the uncle who taught me most of what I now know of the world.  I know our chances of bringing it to bay are slim at best, but I would give much to see them safely home."

Character sheet

Telcontar

:ooc: Awareness roll
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 4, 6, 4, total 15

Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Morirúsë places his hamd on the shoulder of the woodman.

"Though it be too dark for horses if it is the will of one long sundered from family I will go with you on foot if you wish Firewatcher. The night holds no terror for me and I was born under the stars."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Aug 04, 2017, 09:43 AM #28 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2017, 12:53 PM by tomcat
"It is the Lamp of Balthi," replied one of the elders upon the dais. "Our forefather it was who formed the glass lamp and set it to blaze within our highest rafters. Thus has it burned there for nigh on fifty generations."

Morirúsë listened to the group of Woodmen speak of their ancestors and the skills possessed to create such a treasure that today still held reverence, but he knew better. The light that flared from within the glass case above was not wrought by Men. The Noldo knew that what he saw was a memory come to life - a memory of Eregion and the master craftsmen there who had come from the houses of his own father and had seen the Light of the Trees.

He smiled at the idea that these elders believed their kin had the skills to craft such a work. If it were a treasure of Eregion, or even more, one of Beleriand or Aman, did he have the right to take it from these Men? Morirúsë was of the House of Caranthir, of the House of Fëanor - the creator of the Silmarils which captured the light of silver Telperion and golden Laurelin. The light above did not rival that of the Trees or Fëanor's creations, but it was a captured remnant of that light. A memory...and by any right, it belonged to the Elves and to his lords in particular.

The conversation became thick with the grandeur of the Woodmen and the Noldo drifted from its content. He heard Esgalwen and Arbogast speaking and so left the elders to their stories, and the Lamp of Balthi for later decisions. Morirúsë listened to his new companion's concerns and thus was the decision made - they would cross the river and search for Arbogast's sires.

Esgalwen agreed with the Elf, "There will be no horses. The oakwood is too dense and rutted for easy travel by naught else but foot. Much that we need is stowed, still, upon our mounts. I will gather our things that can be easily carried and will meet you at the docks."

Arbogast nodded to the woman and Esgalwen rose to leave, only to be joined by Grimbeorn. He would aid her in the gathering of needed items. It was then that the Dúnadan woman looked to Udo. The young Hobbit sat at the table and there was a pall over his face. Fear was in his eyes with the sudden realization that they would be truly entering Mirkwood Forest in pursuit of some nightmare. He took a long pull from his cup and averted his eyes.

Esgalwen smiled and spoke soothingly, "Fear not little friend. You need not go. It was never my intent to take you so far from your home. But be safe here and whence we return, I will aid you in getting back to your holes along the river. This is not your task."

All of the companions could see the fear subside from the Hobbit's eyes, though his pride was now bruised. "But...but...I promised to aid..."

"It is okay, Udo," interrupted the Ranger. "I do not hold you to any contract or promise. You are free to come and go as you will, and I prefer you stay here and be safe. There may come a day when your skills are truly needed and I know then that your heart and courage will be strong. Let it be then that you make service to us and find some glory. Yes?"

Udo nodded sullenly in agreement, but all could see the relief upon his face.

"Come Esgalwen," said Grimbeorn. "We must away."

The Fire-watcher turned to his brother's voice, "Father bid me stay here and protect our home, Arbogast, in case this dread creature entered our town. I cannot join you in this, but I beg you...please bring him home safe."

A nod and a look between brothers. Arbogast was not sure that he had ever shared such quiet emotion with his younger sibling. And then he, too, moved from the hall with Morirúsë at his side.