• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 08:15 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Draw of the Lamp

Started by tomcat, Jul 19, 2017, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Morirúsë Nodded, "yes, his ability to collect information from the birds should prove useful enough. All natural beasts will feel a great aversion of this demon possessed beast. Though it may begin to draw wargs and wolves to its pack if he stirs long enough. Your folk may have seen the gathering of these evil intended beasts as well, if not the werewolf itself. Be mindful of such reports as well."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

Their minds set on a path, the companions rose from the table and sought out the wizard. Radagast's allies throughout the whole of Mirkwood would be of great service.

They found the old man sitting on a large log - a branch really that had fallen from the tree above. He was quietly tossing corn kernels to a small family of deer. The buck with its wide rack stood attentive to the surrounds, while the doe and her fawns gracefully walked towards the wizard to crop at the grass and corn. The arrival of the companions startled all and the deer quickly became cautious and ready for flight back into the shade of the wood.

"Eh? Oh, it is you!" Radagast then turned back to the animals, "Fear not...they have not come to harm any of you." But then he cocked an eye back towards the Woodman and Beorning, "Have you?"

It was then that the wizard noticed the Noldo and he eyed him carefully. "You are not from around here. What brings a Deep-elf so far, I wonder?"
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Morirúsë chuckled, the Quenya speech of old came quickly to his lips "why have I come? The question is better placed upon you Aiwendil. I am one of the First Born of Ilúvatar, all of Arda is my birthright. I shall come and go as I please. Now it pleases me to hunt this beast, a fell servant of an old foe, whom, as you know, my folk have sworn great oaths to pursue. Few if any are there left of my folk, but I will not neglect my duty, or fail to remember the treatment we received at the hands of the Lords of the West. My time is short, even as reckoned by the years of the sun, but I am not yet done."

Then in the common speech, "this is an unnaturale beast, one that ye too should find abhorrent and dreadful. My hand is here in assistance to slay it, wilt thou take up bill and byrnie to hunt it?.....What more need be asked?"   
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Jul 25, 2017, 10:58 AM #18 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 11:10 AM by tomcat
"Oh what burdens to bear are birthrights," mused the wizard in Quenya. "As a shield, they produce deserving and favor...as a treasure, greed. And what of you Morirúsë? Does this birthright of yours grant you deserving, or is it something you hoard over like a pile of gold and assume it is just for you?"

The Noldo Elf was taken slightly aback at the mention of his name - his Quenya name - for he had given none. Radagast looked into his eyes and took measure, "Many are the sons and daughters in the line of Finwë, but only one line spoke thus."

Around the Elf and wizard, the others looked back and forth in wonder of what was being said, for only the most learned spoke the ancient tongue of the Noldor. What would be even more strange to the others would be the air that Radagast had now assumed - no longer the simple-seeming old man that observed the wellness of nature. His bearing now changed, the wisdom and power was presented to the Elf, but to him alone.

And then the old man changed again, back to himself - back to the seemingly muddled Brown wizard.

Radagast continued, now in the common tongue of all Free-folk, "Aid that you bring is welcome, Deep-elf, for certainly this Enemy has warrant of your wrath. I am glad that you have come to aid my friends. They have labored now for a number of years in keeping the Shadow at bay and their homes safe, but in this they may find their greatest challenge and you may be the needed ally to help vanquish such a foe."

Radagast then began to speak of news that he had from his various sources. Spiders of central Mirkwood have withdrawn deeper into the woods, after a bitter blow to their strength. The fellowship believed they knew of these events that caused the spiders to retreat - first one in the Narrows and then one along the Dwarf Road. Yet none of them excused the terrible monsters of being a threat anymore to the forest - that would be a deadly mistake.

The haunted Mountains of Mirkwood to the east was where the spiders had been reported to go, though also deep into the eastern forest, but none dared confirm. The wizard continued about the mountains telling of the terror that has manifested itself there, and was growing stronger. "It is this darkness that I believe has stirred the ancient spirit of the Werewolf of Mirkwood. The Elves of Thranduil's realm have apparently suffered most, as the creature first appeared in that land and attacked the wandering folk. It is said that the great wolf sought their lamps, destroying them as it went. Lamps of all sizes and types. I was informed that the beast approached Thranduil's very gates and only the Dwarf-crafted stone, laced with Elven magic, could restrain it. Tormented, the monster has turned south and now plunders and terrorizes the western eaves. Why, I know naught.

"I do know that Elves have come south, too, in pursuit of the wolf. Yet, I was told by others that some of Thranduil's folk had preceded the monster in search of their own quest. If I were you, I would seek out these wandering bands of Elves. They have been reported mostly east of the two Woodmen settlements to the north."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

"But would they receive us warmly or find us a nuisance?  The Woodland folk are haughty and don't suffer intrusion, welcome though it might be in the end," queried Grimbeorn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Arbogast grimaces slightly, recalling with mixed feeling the light of elven-lamps, and the dances of the wayward elves in secret bowers.  "Though they once had the whole of the forest as their realm, those days are long past.  They are wandering closer to the lands settled by my folk many centuries ago.  Regardless, the greater part of the wood acknowledges no master that walks on two legs.  If they be wise enough to survive the journey, they will despise no aid." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Morirúsë Was quiet for a moment, whether from the words of the wizard or the mention of the Wood elves none were sure.

At last he spoke.
"The Dark Elves I believe will be happy to see none of ye. even were thou to slay the beast and give yon head to Thranduil King he would begrudge ye the blood thou dripped on yon floor. Something else perhaps is drawing Sylvan folk out of hither realm. Not idly do we Aelf wander in these long years. I say ye should not reject thine aid if by chance they offer, but also I say ye should not seek it. Wilt not the birds and beasts be better guides? For where thou care to go naught is where we will find the beast. Thou flight of nature will point to the troubled source. "
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Thinking of the boar in the tree-bole near the house of Beorn, Arbogast nods his agreement. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Radagast nodded to the Noldo.

"If you have chosen to go, then I will make sure news is brought to you by those allies of the Forest that I can trust."

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn's heavy sigh at the flowery words of the new elf was quite audible.  "Shall we mince wolf-meat instead of words.  We thank you for your guidance and counsel, Radagast.  Unless there be further words of wisdom to be had with regard in how to kill this beast or if there is some bane that might cause it grievous hurt, shall we go and return it to the Darkness whence it came?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16