• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 02:53 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

In the house of Beorn

Started by tomcat, Jun 01, 2017, 07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Arbogast, spending his hours beyond Beorn's fence, hears neither of Bandy's request nor its granting until the hearth is stoked and the table set that night.  He is at first shocked and dismayed.  You cannot abandon our Fellowship so!  Who else will lift our hearts when all seems lost? 

But after the initial surprise, he cannot but see the sense in the Hobbit's decision.  He remembers long-ago conversations, filling the dark hours of the evening with herb-lore and pipe-weed smoke in a tiny, new-built home.  Well then, he thinks, it is fitting.  Grow your wondrous weed and write your tales, and may peace be ever at your door. 

As the thanes of the Skinchanger carry on their raucous meal, he stands and moves to the side of the fire, mead-horn held aloft until all have fallen silent. 

"From far away fields, from yearning and yen
To Wilderland wandered a Hobbit again
Who had not the mien of mightier Men
But through hardship the Halfling stood tall. 

At spider-plagued forts or the Shadow's black hold
He shone through the darkness and bade us be bold
His arrows flew true as the archers of old
As we heeded his rallying call.

His errantry ended, his tales compiled
To gentler pursuits once again reconciled
Welcome a wanderer in from the Wild
And a hero home to his hall. 

I drink to you, Bandobras Bracegirdle, who was a friend when no-one of name would know me and an ally where no-one of sense would go.  Mirkwood will not be the same without you."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Jun 24, 2017, 05:23 PM #16 Last Edit: Jun 24, 2017, 05:37 PM by tomcat
:ooc: I think that has been one of our best posts to date, Paul! Excellent writing!

I hope you don't mind, but I am sharing it on Google+ TOR page.  ;D

"Then bitter be this night," said Rorin, in his rough tone. "For I, too, will be pursuing other goals at the breaking of this Fellowship. My kin - Bofri - whom we left behind to fend for himself, after the Eagles had taken us, is in need of aid. Dwarven-aid and I will see it done. The Old Dwarf Road is newly found for me and it calls to me as a task that will renew Khazad renown." The Dwarf took a long pull from his honey mead and then wiped his whiskers. "Do not think I do this easily - many are the adventures we faced, and no truer friends do I know. But my labors are needed elsewhere for a time - not only the road, but the smithy that I have built in Rhosgobel."

The companions all murmured to themselves but then offered understanding and acceptance to Rorin and the Hobbit - no one could doubt their hearts, but even the strongest tree can be bent with the wind. So bent their hearts before the Shadow and each would need time to grow back those reserves of hope that they once had.

"With the morning I will be leaving... so come, Arbogast, sing your song once more and mayhaps you can find some kind words to say of an old Dwarf, as well." There was a twinkle in Rorin's eye and the Fire-watcher could not be sure, but he believed it to be a tear catching the fire's glow.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

The summer days began to wane. August had ended and September was fast moving to its own conclusion.

Arbogast was beginning to feel the call once more to be on his way. Bandy had left a few weeks past, and Rorin more before that, and the Fire-watcher was thinking now of his own home. The thoughts of Esgalwen, too, came oft to his mind and he needed to find out what had become of her. The memory of her walking away, alone, with the children of the cottars of the northern vales was still very clear in his eyes, and the man felt fear. Esgalwen was a strong woman, like his own Lindwine, but still she was a woman - and the world was cruel.

He needed to know.

And certainly, if she had lived and made it back south, she would return to Rhosgobel. Arbogast's mind made up, he returned to the house of Beorn to find Grimbeorn - last of his companions. The Fire-watcher would head south within the week and he needed to know if the Beorning would be going with him once more.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn was loathe to see his companions -- his boon friends -- depart on errands of their own but such is the need of theirs and of the world.  He knew that though leagues lay between them, all it would take is a call, rallying cry, to unite them once more for the defense of those in need.  Bandy was not going far and took heart in this knowledge, but Rorin was yet further off.

"No my friend, 'tis not a bitter night for tears of sorrow are not shed, there is no death at our door nor loss to the darkness that looms.  I would call it bittersweet as we part again no different than other autumn callings of hearth and home, the duties of which we have protected so diligently.  So fill your horn and be of good cheer with knowledge that the tidings are better between the mountains and the wood.  To the Fellowship!"

---

Ben's heir broke the fast with his closest friend of their Fellowship and listened to his words.  He was silent, not unusual for him, while he spoke and thought once again upon Esgalwen.  Nothing new came from the frontier of her whereabouts and it worried him all the more as time went on.  During their retreat at his father's house, Grimbeorn would range far and wide seeking any sign of whenever she came or news of a fierce lady-warrior but nothing spoke or whispered of a woman of her stature.  He told no one of his journeys nor of their results for he didn't care to worry the others from their paths.  It wasn't until this day did he say anything of it when Arbogast came to him.  Wholeheartedly he agreed that her fate needed to be sought and he would accompany his friend on that journey.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16