• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 05:13 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

A Brief Stop before the Barrows...

Started by tomcat, Jul 27, 2016, 03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Great succes? Check on Vocation?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

Arbogast nods his agreement.  "Indeed.  If we are perhaps to fight a battle, we would do well to know the land." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Aug 03, 2016, 09:16 AM #17 Last Edit: Aug 03, 2016, 09:31 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Great Success gives you the check on Vocation...very nice roll. Did you mark your sheet?

Bandy has spent the last number of years studying the people of the Anduin Vale with the help of Master Radagast. He does not recognize the name Arnú directly, but he can follow the path of the language, as well as wonder at the faiths of Men (something that Tolkien did not delve into deeply).

The name is obviously my creation , and I am having its etymology stem from the Elvish word Eru, which means The One. It has been changed by the many dialects of these men over time. Now as to whom she is referring to as The One, is an unknown.

It could be that Leyna is learned of ancient tales of Ilúvatar that have been passed down from the Elves that met the Valar and told their tales and sang their songs. Maybe the knowledge stems from the Númenóreans who would have brought their faith to Middle-earth when they both conquered and/or setteled regions. Maybe it is not Eru, but one of the Valar that she speaks of, which is probably more on target, due to their more direct influence upon the world.

No matter what, Bandy recognizes the words origins and knows it to be one of the Powers, and this woman obviously has faith in said Powers - maybe she draws magic from them?

The Company all agreed and as a group, finished their ales, and then made their way out into the late afternoon. They walked the main thoroughfare of Sunstead past small homes, businesses, and the town's main hall. Children played while the men and women prepared to end their day. The companions entered a paddock where the horses hand been stabled and had their mounts prepared. The proprietor had chickens, too, which bobbed their heads and strutted about, entertaining the companions as they waited.

With the shadow of the Mirkwood's eastern eaves stretching across the fields of the East Bight, the companions spurred their horses south towards where ancient kings were laid to rest. It was a relatively short ride. They mounted a small hillock and looked down and there the barrows rose, along the forest's edge, with trees growing behind and on top.

It could have been considered a beautiful sight, if not for the chilling wind that suddenly blew up out of the south.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast climbs to the top of a nearby barrow, confident that nothing beneath will stir during the sun-lit hours.  There, he settles down to watch, and to listen. 

:ooc: ...using his Natural Watchfulness to get a feel for the terrain, especially under the eaves of the forest. 

Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 4, total 10

Character sheet

Telcontar

[ :ooc: I did not update the sheet. Post from my ipad so it may need correcting later.

Bandy talked as the companions prepared their mounts and headed out to the downs.
"It is also perhaps possible that the woman is more priestess than she is a whitch, but among the big folk they may be one in the same. For instance the decorations of her body could easily have been meant as some kind of ritual expression and her song, or rhyme, an incantation of something, or to somone one. I take her meaning to be that of some kind of higher power, one that we should beseech if we are need of aid. She spoke of Arnu, well in one of the togues of the Dunedain I believe AR means king. Many of the kings of Arnor of old had that prefix, in fact two of the northern kingdoms shared that stem. ARnor and Arthedain. AR meaing King or High. So Arnu could be One King, High King, the High One. Clearly some type of higher power in any case. We have broadly broken the powers up into the light powers and the dark powers, but this is largely a consrtuct of the elves. If the tales are believved they dwelled with the great powers beyond the sea. The result though is that powers unknown to them are considered dark, this may not be the case so cut and dry if powers exist that exist independant from the West. The seven lords and ladies are typically looked at as the source of light and those of the enemy coming from the one. This High One could be him that the elves will not name and the houses of men have placed a black shroud over. Even the dwarves will speak little of the old days other than of great battles and fell deeds. So this prayer could be a call to a dark power, and in it our protection from the creatures out of invoking a higher power to them and not instead a power of light. Interesting academic question no? I mean do we invoke the name of a dark power if it has the unintended ability to actually give us safe passage? "

"Master Bandy," spoke the dwarf.

"I will not ask you to go into the deep lore of the Dwarves concernign the smith.."

""Shut up," said the dwarf, "we are on the hill now."

"Oh, yes i see that. Well lets find an open one and walk in. We wont want to do that when the sun sets I'll bet. Let's see what these barrows look like on the inside."

"See Esgalwen," said the dwarf, "all it took was a nudge"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

disench4nted

Rorin smiled broadly under his beard and thought to himself that Bandy must truly be unique among hobbits. The fact that such a small creature could pass through such danger and darkness unchanged but for a brief period of pouting before merrily waltzing directly into a new adventure boggled the mind. Rorin had seen seasoned dwarven warriors cast aside their arms and fall to despair for less than this academic from the Shire had been through.

The company trekked down from the hill they were on and searched the surrounding areas for some entrance below the ground. Along their way, It did not take long until they came across an opening at the foot of one of the barrows. Stones marked with weathered runes surrounded the doorway and Rorin felt an icy chill stab into his heart and his knees buckled momentarily. His mind once again returned to the bridge at Dol Gulder and he heard the words of Mother Leyna echoed in his mind, "Doom! Doom!". But, as was his habit, Rorin quickly adjusted his gear and steeled himself against whatever may come next.

While they had been searching for an entrance, Rorin had been collecting tinder and fuel for a fire and now the dwarf began clearing an area on the ground just outside the entrance and began stacking firewood there. In a few minutes he had constructed a large bonfire that had fuel enough to burn for an hour at least, he laid an unlit torch next to it so that the fire could be lit in haste should the need arise.

"There are six of us about to enter this fell place, and six of us will return." Rorin said more to himself than anyone else, "Fear not, we have faced much together and these wraiths cannot harm us."

:ooc:

Invoking Rorin's Firemaking specialty to built an easily combustible bonfire at the entrance. 

tomcat

Esgalwen rode alongside the diminutive scholar and listened. She, too, was trained in the old lore of her people and knew well the prefix and suffixes of the old tongues.

"Your homeland, it lies within the bounds of old Arnor, does it not?" she asked. Bandy replied with a nod. "I have never been to the former lands of my northern kin. Tell me, are there ruins there with great bounties of treasure and lore? For certain, your knowledge is keen, Master Bracegirdle. I would only add that I do not believe that this incantation is a call to any dark power, for it speaks of forsaking this Arnú, whoever or whatever it may be. Certainly the fell-spirits of the Dark Lord have forsaken the Light and thus dwell now only under his shadow, and so I interpret it as such. The High One, High King, or One King...is a good translation and I deem it to be one of the Powers of the West."

Esgalwen shrugged her shoulders, "I guess we shall find out soon enough."

Now on the frontier before the Mirkwood Forest, the Ranger watched as Arbogast rode his mount atop one of the small hillocks only to rein it in and sit there, quietly watching. The Fire-watcher listened intently to his surroundings, running his gaze along the length of the southern Bight at the mounds that trailed off out of sight to the east and into the forest. The woods were a splash of color - red, gold, yellow, and green, and the sight was somewhat breathtaking. Arbogast did not remember when the changes occurred. They had been under the wood for the better part of September, but he had not paid attention to the leaves. There weren't that many to be seen within the wood itself anyway, as they all grew from the branches high above.

The vibrant colors yearned at creating a peace within the man's heart, but something was not right. Arbogast knew they were being watched. The rustle of the leaves when the wind blew across the forest top, was like a mournful call.

"COME," it said in a slow, eager voice.

The hair on Arbogast's neck stood and the chill that followed ran the length of his spine. They were being watched. Something was aware of their presence and the Fire-watcher felt like whatever it was, it was waiting. Waiting with dreadful patience.

His companions' voices drew his eyes from the forest, and he felt released - as if some force had bent its will upon him, but now let him go. Rorin was talking to himself as he gathered wood and began to build a fire. Arbogast wondered at the task. They had only come out to reconnoiter the hills. He spurred his mount and rode back down off of the mound, all the while wondering when the wind had become so cold.

:ooc: Arbogast cleared that test really well, and he is aware that the Company is being watched. Or maybe watched is not the right word - maybe something is aware of their presence. No matter  what, as he stares at the forest's edge, he has a terrible feeling that many eyes are staring back at him. It is not the dreadful feeling like he felt when the spiders attacked - this feeling is of the unnatural.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I am going to start date stamping each thread, so that we can easily put together the tale of years. For now, based on what I can piece together from this particular chapter, the story is currently in the latter half of September, so I am going to go ahead and say it is the 19th.

So to be more specific, it is the early evening of September 19th, 2951 T.A, as the PC's look down upon the barrows of the East Bight.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Bandy bent and looked at the runes and the broken rock that time had cracked to reveal the barrow opening.

"I see runes here. I do not know them, men made them but they seem strange to me. I know little of the histories of men east of the wood."

The blade came into Bandy's hand and he stood ready at the entrance.
"Ceawin might be a fool, but this might be more foolish still. Shall we?"
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Arbogast leads his mount down the side of the barrow to where his companions have gathered.  "We ought not tarry here, for our presence has been noticed.  Our actions will be watched and noted." 

Character sheet

tomcat

As if his words had been heard, the sun dropped under the small hillock and the shadows of the forest crept out to cover them in a dusky gloom. The horses started to stamp at the ground, while a few laid their ears back in consternation. A fog began to rise around them, rising up from the ground and covering all like a blanket of silence. The companions heard their voices, but they were muted in the sudden mist. Only the crackle of Rorin's newly made fire offered comfort.

Bandy was not sure, but he listened with intent - in the fog was a hollow voice chanting. No, not one voice...multiple voices.

:ooc: Corruption test TN 16 against Dreadful spells

TN 16 wisdom by PC
:00: Arbogast 3d 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 4, total 11

:00: Bandy 4d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 4, 2, 6, total 16

:00: Esgalwen* 4d 2d12 : 4, 11, total 15
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 2, 6, 5, total 14

:00: Grimbeorn 4d 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 4d6 : 1, 6, 2, 5, total 14

:00: Idunn 4d 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 4, 3, 1, total 10

:00: Rorin 3d 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 1, 1, total 7

*take better of two rolls

tomcat

Aug 07, 2016, 12:42 PM #25 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2016, 12:49 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Arbogast failed, but can pass with a Hope  :csu: (if you don't want to use a Hope, Paul, let me know and I will change the following narrative)
Bandy has a Great success with a :g:
Esgalwen has a Great success with an 18
Grimbeorn has a great success with a 24
Idunn has a success with a :g:
Rorin fails

Steve, I am sending you a PM.

The Fire-watcher's palfrey whinnied loudly and reared, casting the man off of its back. The wind was knocked from Arbogast as he struck the ground and a cry of voices were heard.

THE HORSES! were the shouts, GRAB THEM!

Rorin watched as some of his companions were bucked from their mounts, while those that had been staked yanked hard and pulled themselves free. Now riderless and loose, the animals bolted in multiple directions and disappeared into the quickly rising fog. The Dwarf hefted a burning piece of wood and ran out into the mist in pursuit - his companions following similar suit but in other directions, trying to catch the horses.

Arbogast rose to his elbows and began to pull himself up, when he saw atop the barrow that he had just stood upon a great shadowed figure. The shouts of his companions began to fade, sounding as if they were far away, or in some deep hole. And just as it was there, it disappeared over the edge of the mound and into the fog.

Grimbeorn ran with long strides in the direction of his horse. It took him little time but he finally caught up to the animal. He saw that it had run into a thicket of shrubs and its reins had gotten caught. The horse pulled and yanked in terror, breathing hard and foaming at its mouth. The Beorning cautiously approached the animal, speaking with soothing words as he did. It calmed enough for him to grab up its reins and free them. Grimbeorn gave a quick cry and looked down to see his palm now bled - his horse, once free, had pulled savagely away and ripped the reins from the man's hands. It disappeared into the fog once more and Grimbeorn yelled out a curse. He looked back to where the fire burned beside the barrow, and then his eyes followed the path his horse just took. He either needed to get back to his friends or continue the chase of this damnable beast.

Esgalwen also ran out into the fog. It soon became apparent to her that her horse was not going to be retrieved at this time, and she would be walking the long walk back to Sunstead. Perhaps the animal knew its own way home and she would find it there. She turned to the sound of a voice. Two shapes stood some distance off in the creeping mist.

"Come here," came the muted voice, like a whisper. "What? Who is there?" she answered. "Over here," was the reply again. Esgalwen felt a chill fill her heart and her hand went to Nimronyn's pommel. The sword seemed to lend her comfort in the frigid blanket of fog.

"Hurry," pleaded the call.

"I say again! State who you are or I fear I will draw weapon on you," answered Esgalwen - her tension rising with each beat of her panicked heart.

Relief filled her when suddenly the forms of Idunn and Bandy emanated from the fog where the dark shapes had stood moments before. Loosening the grip on her weapon, "It's you, thank the lords! I heard you call." Idunn and Bandy gave each other a look, "We didn't call," was their reply. Esgalwen looked surprised, but then shook her head of the thoughts. "What of your horses? Have you seen the others?" Both of her companions shook their heads and the trio turned their path back towards the flickering of light that had to be Rorin's fire. They walked what seemed the length of three furlongs and came at last to the source of light. A burning brand that their Dwarf friend had pulled from the fire right before he raced off in pursuit of his own pony.

Bandy picked it up and the fog around them glowed like a dome of gold. A booming, but still muted voice, was suddenly heard, "HO! Esgalwen! Idunn! Where are you? Rorin! Bandy!"

"We are here," answered Idunn.

Following each others voices, the companions came together once more. The two women and Hobbit watched as the tall shapes of Arbogast and Grimbeorn appeared. Both were without their horses, but both seemed well - if not a bit tense.

"Where is Rorin?" asked Esgalwen. Bandy could only look at his hand and the burning torch that he held.

Telcontar

Bandy whispered to himself as much as to his companions, "fog on the barrow downs...."

Then louder, "we have made a terrible mistake. We left far too late in the day. The fog. Fogon the barrows! I have traveled so far but the simple knowledge of the Shire should have served me better than the tales and facts of books and wisemen. The barrows on the border of the shire are much like this. In fact maybe the same folk built them though so far removed. Curse my stupidity, and now Rorin is lost to us."

The Hobbit looked about the golden glow of the fire, but all he could see was the golden glow and the shadowed frame of the door. The bearing of the scholar was displaced and the manner of the Hobbit took on his other aspect, that of a fighter.
He drew the old blade given to hom by the doorwarden of Mountain Hall. The fog was chill, but something in the blade warmed his sword arm and his heart. Perhaps there was more to the blade, but for now the Hobbit had other cares.
"We must go in. ARNU! Rorin! I'm coming!"
The Hobbit gave a glance to his companions, "grab a brand, we must to his aid!"
The stout hobbit stepped forward.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

For a moment, the Fire-watcher can only stare dumbly at his small friend.  We know not where Rorin is... 

Then the realisation is upon him.  He has heard countless stories of Men drawn from familiar paths in the forest deep into the heart of Mirkwood, called to its dark heart like iron to a lodestone.  So it is with the barrow - they will find the Dwarf within. 

Without a word, he takes another brand forth from the fire.  As he catches up to Bandy, he keeps his eyes and ears open, alert to any sign of ambush within the barrow or without. 

:ooc: Doug, I'm entirely fine with spending Hope to avoid whatever's happened to Rorin! 

I'm making an Alertness roll to see if I pick up on anything. 
:00: 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 1, total 7

Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: I think it's safe to assume that I've got the brand in one hand and my axe in the other.  It goes against the grain, but my shield's going to have to stay on my back for the time being. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Aug 07, 2016, 02:32 PM #29 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2016, 06:40 PM by tomcat
Even as Bandy girded his will to move forward into the barrow entrance, there came a hollow thudding sound within the fog. The companions all pulled their weapons and whether by intention, formed a circle with their backs to the fire.

There was a flurry of movement within the fog, great shadows raced upon them and then a voice, "LO THERE!"

There were five riders that appeared out of the mist and into the fire glow. At the front of the rank was Ceawin, Master of Sunstead. He quickly slid from his horse.

"What have you done here?" he cried urgently. "Why have you come to these hills without me? Without my plan? You have stirred the dead!"

"We only came to look," answered Esgalwen. "We only came to see what dangers we might face."

"Dangers you might face? Did you not know? Did we not tell you that the dead rule these hills? They haunt these lands and take the unwary. It is my plan to put them to rest by making an offering of the Helm of Peace. Come, we must go from here. We will come back on another day while the sun still rides high in the sky."

The companions all looked at one another. They could not leave - not with one of their companions missing.

Behind Ceawin, his four guards sat atop their horses looking left and right, panicked by the fog. The mounts they rose, stamped and whinnied. The horses knew better than to be here and pulled at their reins in an attempt to tell their masters this very thing.

:ooc: Arbogast has a great success at Awareness and gains a success dice that he can use or give to another on any test that might require speed or initiative, while on the downs. He cannot earn an AP on this roll, as he has the first two boxes filled already.