• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:24 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Black Tidings and the Black Tarn

Started by tomcat, Jun 07, 2016, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: don't wait for me, Tom. If you have stuff in your head, get it out. I can work things out.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

The grand and public embrace of Caewin and Amaleoda is mirrored by a quieter one as, all thought of the road and the Fellowship forgotten, Arbogast gathers Lindwine into his arms.  His heart pounds like a drum as he smells the familiar scents that linger in her hair, and feels her hands - still damp from the morning's work by the Tarn - rest upon his back.  For a while the two lovers exist apart from the business of the Fellowship's arrival, their embrace at a remove from all else in Middle-Earth. 

Then the moment passes.  Lindwine's hands slip beneath Arbogast's shirt, feeling the remains of a wound yet to fully heal. 

"I will live," says the Fire-watcher.  "We will live, here between the trees and the water.  You and I together.  But I cannot abide here nearly as long as I desire, for I have vowed to accompany the Lord of the Sunstead on his return home."  He cannot fail to mark the hurt and disappointment in her eyes. 

"But what of you, my love?  How do you fare?"  He looks her up and down, noticing the marks of new cares about her eyes, and the signs of much hard work on her hands. 

He does not expect the dismissive shrug he receives in return, nor for her to pull back from him.  "The raiders came again - Men and orcs alike bearing the mark of the blood moon.  But others among us know the shieldwall song, and we drove them from the gates once more.  Now, I am well.  We are well.  And there are nets that must be mended before the day is done." 

With a sad smile, she disappears back through the gates.  Arbogast stands, confused and forlorn, until he spies Idunn, kinswoman and confidant to Lindwine, amongst the crowd.  He approaches her, eyes wide in unspoken question. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Telcontar

Jun 08, 2016, 07:48 AM #17 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2016, 07:50 AM by Telcontar
The Hobbit gazed around the Black Tarn while the meetings of the big folk were being made. The Hobbit saw that the stockade had been roughly repaired while work of a more permanent nature was still being undertaken. The scorched timbers of the houses had been pulled down and used to repair first the walls, and then the houses were built anew, while the stockade was repaired and strengthened. Also throughout the village there were small piles of supplies covered by oil cloth and tarpaulins. The product, the Hobbit assumed, of his relief effort to the north. Apparently the Woodmen of the North had responded to Bandy's call for aid and goods had floated down the river to the profit of all.

"OI! Master Bracegirdle!" a hue was raised in the direction of the Hobbit. He took his gaze from the stockade and saw the hailing hand beckoning him.

The man walked up to the Hobbit and bent at the waist in order to address him, "Well met Halfling, it is good to see you, though many in Wilderland would know you by that hat if not by your deeds."

It took a moment but Bandy soon recalled the man who spoke to him, Bradán, a river boat captain that traded along the river.

"Captain Bradán, how may I be of service to you?"

"I heard that you have come from Rhosgobel, any news from Ingomer or the Brown Wizard?"

The man seemed over eager to hear what the Hobbit said and seemed to come right to his point.

"No I am afraid. I spoke to Ingomer, but it was little in the way of news. Radagast has not been seen in quite some time it appears, which is news enough I guess."

The river captain scratched at his chin and frowned.
"
What is troubling you? I am not labeled as one of the wise in Wilderland, but I am well-traveled."

Bradán looked to the lake, "well it's like this. I have plyed the path of this river all of my life. Seldom did I come down this far before for any time because up until the Black Tarn here was built there was no need. I don't suppose you noticed, but there is a landing that has been built where the river meets the lake. Part of the timber that was to rebuild the Tarn had to be spared to build the dock and a landing. One by one the river boat captains decided that they wouldn't cross the lake and unloaded their good there for the folk of the Black Tarn to ferry here on their own. I thought it queer myself, but now I am the last of the upper river men who will bring his boat all the way across the lake. I cant explain it, but  the lake has a different feel now then the river did. I have my whole life spent my days in the waters of one of the three sisters. I have seen the middle sister, Sunshadow, several times myself."

At this the river boat captain blushed. "I even had wine with her upon a once, but that is another story."

"I cant explain it any plainer than that Master Bracegirdle, the lake has taken a strange turn and perhaps the folk that know her best are accustomed to it, or perhaps they don't notice. In regular times I would have passed the word on to the Brown Wizard myself, but he seems to be too busy for the small matters of the Woodmen now."

The Hobbit was troubled in his heart, but he smiled to the man. "I shall let him know as soon as I see him and if you have any other word for me let me know. Everyone here knows the forge of Rorin, word can be left for me there. Anything you hear in your travels along the river may be of use to me, for I much desire to speak with Radagast as well."

Bandy despaired for the moment of ever seeing the Shire again. The wider world was appearing much darker than Mr. Baggins suggested, and it seemed to be growing darker. Where was Radagast? When would he return? How long would the shadow grow with the failing of another year?

I must speak with Rorin, thought the Hobbit, and tell him all that I have heard. He has more sense than the Big Folk. The Halfling sought out his companion and absent mindedly his hand strayed to the hilt of the blade he received in Mountain Hall from the doorwarden as a parting gift.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn rode in last, making sure all who traveled entered the safety of the village.  He thought this place was much like the other Woodmen villages -- a little distinct from the rest (the burnt parts notwithstanding) but all with much commonality.  He hearkened back to the lands of the Beornings and those settlements in the south parts where many descendants of Woodmen have come to live have some similar styles as well.  Stirred from his musing, he led his into the village last on foot, following the final rider of Ceawin's entourage.  Once inside, he looked to his steed and helped others as needed.  As soon as he shook the dust from his feet and cleaned up as much as a Beorning may, he joined Ceawin's party to keep an eye on things and if there was mead to be had, all the better.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Posterboy

Jun 09, 2016, 11:01 PM #19 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 03:05 PM by Posterboy
Quote from: Eclecticon on Jun 07, 2016, 08:27 PMWith a sad smile, she disappears back through the gates.  Arbogast stands, confused and forlorn, until he spies Idunn, kinswoman and confidant to Lindwine, amongst the crowd.  He approaches her, eyes wide in unspoken question. 

Idunn smiled softly at her cousin's lover, her eyes sad. "You have been missed, friend." Sindjarfr scooted around the shield maiden and nuzzled up next to Arbogast, licking his hand. "By more than just my cousin it would seem. Come away for a moment, for there are affairs of your home which you must know."

Drawing the returning warrior aside and away from the fan-fair for a moment, Idunn looked Arbogast over for a moment, appraising his body and spirit. "You were missed at the shield wall, friend. We were attacked again. Orcs and men bearing the blood moon once more. It has taken a toll on our clan's spirit... some more than others." Her gaze drifted towards where Lindwine had trailed away.

"Your Lindwine is grieving, Arbogast," she said as she faced him once more. "She was carrying your child when the raiders came in July... her belly was just beginning to swell, her face was radiant and beautiful for new hope. But the grim terror of fire and blood, the toil of rebuilding once more... she lost the child soon after."

"I have tended to her body, Arbogast. But it is her spirit that is burdened. The news that you will be leaving again, and so soon, adds to the weight of her grief. I know it can not be helped. Radagast has told me that we must continue on with Caewin. But I would counsel you to go to her and spend what time you have here with your love. She has begun to build a wall around her heart, but I believe if you call at her gate persistently and with a gentle voice, she may yet allow you in."

"Go, my friend!" she urged the warrior. "Your companions will be fine without you this evening."

Posterboy

Jun 09, 2016, 11:24 PM #20 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 03:06 PM by Posterboy
 :ooc: Assuming Arbogast takes his leave of her... Idunn goes in search of Bandy.

As Arbogast took his leave, Idunn sighed and turned her attention to the rest of the company that had arrived. She searched upon the riders for the hobbit. Radagast had been insistent she seek him out first.

Turning in amongst the crowd, Idunn nearly tripped over the wee man. "Master Bandy," she cried out. "I have been looking for you. My people call me the Heron. And I bring word to you from the Brown Wizard. He was here three nights past. I was to tell you that he had received your message by way of your mutual feathered friend."

Pulling the hobbit aside, and bends to whisper in his ear. "He shares your concern, Master Bandy, and believes Caewin is on a fool's errand."

Drawing back up to her full self, she continued. "Still he would urge you to continue on. It is likely that Caewin we need you all yet, before his errand is through. The Wizard would urge you to take courage and caution in equal measure."

Placing a hand on the wee man's shoulder, she smiles at him, "By the looks of things, you have both in abundance. Still, Radagast regrets not being able to accompany you in this journey. His business lies to the south and east for the moment. The bloody ghost was skulking around here recently and he seemed eager to try and find the creature."

Idunn paused for a moment to let Bandy take in her news. "However, he has asked me to join you in his stead, poor as I am. I pray Sindjarfr and I might help bolster your spirits as we journey together."

tomcat

Jun 10, 2016, 10:59 AM #21 Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 11:02 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Posterboy on Jun 09, 2016, 11:01 PM"Your Lindwine is grieving, Arbogast," she said as she faced him once more. "She was carrying your child when the raiders came in July... her belly was just beginning to swell, her face was radiant and beautiful for new hope. But the grim terror of fire and blood, the toil of rebuilding once more... she lost the child soon after."

"I have tended to her body, Arbogast. But it is her spirit that is burdened. The news that you will be leaving again, and so soon, adds to the weight of her grief. I know it can not be helped. Radagast has told me that we must continue on with Caewin. But I would counsel you to go to her and spend what time you have here with your love. She has begun to build a wall around her heart, but I believe you call at her gate persistently and with a gentle voice, she may yet allow you in."

"Go, my friend!" she urged the warrior. "Your companions with be fine without you this evening."

:ooc: Freakin' awesome! I love how these PC's evolve. Keep it up!

We are going with Idunn being River blooded - it just might not mechanically happen until her next advancement.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

Bandy looked at the women but did not speak for a long moment.

"I wish that I could say that your tidings were good, but they are at least news. Radagast has not been himself since that long journey into the south and the woods seem to have grown darker as well. I just heard news too that a riverman is troubled by the Tarn and some of the folk from upriver will no longer sail or pole upon her. I am concerned very much by this enterprise lady. Please do not take this as an insult, but the folk of Wilderland, much like my own, may be country wise but their lore and history is not very deep. Much of the past is retold in story and little of it is written or recorded. Even the graves of kings are soon forgot and there are few here even among the woodmen that know fully and rightly the tales of their sires. I say this not in judgment, but only that of the long wars against the enemy much lore in how to combat him has been lost through time. There are few that know the right ways and the wrong ways to combat his power. The slaying or orcs and spiders is a great feat and requires skill, but the defeat of the unquiet dead is a different foe and sword and arrow alone will not avail us. I am glad to hear that Radagast is about in the world and working, but I am afraid that he could send no better counsel. If this errand were not so pressing I would try to find the folk of Orophin and to gain more knowledge of these things, as other than Radagast I know of no others who could speak wisely about such matters. In fact when this business is done and we are east of the wood I will ask my friends to travel north to seek the counsel of the elves. Grimbeorn alone of all of us have gone north and while he has a strong arm and a keen blade I am sure it wasn't lore that he sought there, but instead delivered the news of the passing of Orophin. Come let us take counsel with the Company of the Helm."

Bandy motioned to the lady and went to seek Esgalwen, Rorin, and Grimbeorn.

"Good friends, I bear news, tidings, and a companion..."
Bandy quickly related all that he had learned and what he thought about a journey north.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Jun 12, 2016, 05:50 PM #23 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2016, 08:40 PM by Eclecticon
Our child... 

Arbogast feels Idunn's news like the blow of a fist.  It is all he can do to mumble "I must go..." to Bandy before he slips away from Caewin's party and the Fellowship. 

He does not mark how his neighbours move from his path, nor the expressions on their faces - variously sympathetic and full of harsh judgement - for at this hour he has eyes for only one person in all the world. 

He finds her by the fishing boats, some of which bear the scars of arrows on their strakes.  She works unseeing, her fingers knotting the sun-stiff fibres of the nets without the direction of her mind.  Arbogast sheds his pack and wargear as quietly as he may, and kneels before her.  When she looks up, her expression is neutral, betraying no pain, nor anger, nor any other hint of what turmoil may lie beneath.  She returns to her work without a word.  Moments later, Arbogast joins her.  For the things of this world will ever need mending, and broken hearts must drive bodies ever on. 

:ooc: Doug, should I be making a corruption test?

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Paul, are you asking me if you should roll for corruption due to the loss of the child? Or is it some other reason that I missed in the narrative (although I have read back through a couple time)?

If due to the child, you tell me. Would Arbogast be potentially affected in such a way that he would gain Shadow due to the child's death? I can see where he might, but he is your PC and I am going to let you decide whether or not he needs to test against corruption.

For me it goes two ways:

1) Arbogast is enraged by the loss and wishes to take vengeance on all things related to the Shadow (orcs, evil men, shadow creatures, etc.), but it is not an unhealthy rage. Granted he might be more bitter and moody, but the anger is turned on those who are culprits.

2) Arbogast is enraged by the loss of the child and sinks within himself to a dark place (corruption) and turns this anger and potential violence on anyone that might stir him up, whether they be friend or foe. This engenders the Madness rules.

In the second circumstance, I see a corruption test needed. The first situation might become darker, but for now he is just lashing out at those responsible.But as I said, I am going to leave it to you to decide on which path Arbogast will walk with this anger and desire for revenge.

tomcat

It was not Amaleoda's immediate desire to meet with Ceawin, but the rules of hospitality between the clans overrode her other needs. The duty of hostess came first, especially with the guest being another chieftain from another village. The Black Tarn Hall must be turned out and made available to her dignified guests.

And so it was that the Company found themselves alone after most of two days of travel with the Sunstead entourage. Arbogast called the Tarn home, but he had faded away after receiving some apparently bad news, of which he did not speak. The remaining companions decided to follow Bandy about, as the Hobbit had spent time with Arbogast staying in his home.

The trio walked behind the Hobbit as he pointed out what was what and who was who. He took them directly to Arbogast's home, but the man was not there. He shared in the business that the Wood-man had started and all could see the neglect that stemmed from his time away. Finally, they went to the southern palisade where the town had experienced two incursions by enemies. The wall was made of wood and had stands along its inside length to allow archers, or spearmen, to perch and defend. Each stand had a ladder that allowed the climb and the companions could see that a few were occupied with sentries.

There was a southern gate, though it was mostly in ruin now having been burnt and broken twice. Outside the gate, a dike had been dug along the entire length of the outer wall, which gave an extra five feet of height that any attacker would need overcome. Around the entrance was the remains of homes that were destroyed and abandoned, but there were also those folk that were building anew. The companions could see that the people were not yet broken of spirit.

Esgalwen looked at the simple defenses and thought of Ithilien and her ranger companions. This was the manner now in which they built and defended themselves in that fair land. No longer were the great stone works of yesteryear, by the hands of Númenóreans, the fashion of her people. Yes, there were great holds like Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth, or even the ruin of Osgiliath, but Gondor no longer had the time or the resources to build new fortresses. The shadow of Minas Morgul fell over her mind and she thought of the stories that she had been told of its early days when Isildur had had it built and the many years it stood as bulwark against Mordor.

She smiled and spoke to no one in particular, "If only we had the strength of yesterday..."

"What's that you say," said one of her companions.

"What?" asked Esgalwen coming out of her reverie. The question was repeated. "Oh...I was just thinking of my home far away. The white towers of Minas Tirith shine with the coming of each morning, beautiful in their work and strength. I was looking at these simple walls and wishing that they were not needed, but if so that we had the strength of old to work the stone and land like once before."

"That was never the way of our folk," said a new voice. All turned to see Idunn. The woman had followed them and watched for a while, but now joined them. "Always has the Wood-men of the Vale been a simple folk, living in simple houses of wood."

The Gondorian smiled, "Yes of course. Still, what I wouldn't give for forty stone-wrights of my homeland, along with carpenters, architects, and more! What wondrous things could they construct for your people to help defend and keep safe. If not my fellow men of Gondor, than a company of Rorin's folk or those of Orophin's people."

"Who is Orophin?" asked Idunn.

"He was a friend," answered Esgalwen. "A friend from the Elven realm to the north."

That seemed to delight Idunn, "I have never met an Elf in all my days under these woods. Even in Rhosgobel, I have not had the chance to meet any of the Silvan-folk. The master of that land has had many dealings with King Thranduil, but I have never seen any of his people."

"Rhosgobel is where we met Orophin," said Bandy, "during the Folk-moot."

Idunn's brow furrowed, "I was present at the moot, but I did not see any Elves. Sad. Of course my duties were not to the moot itself, but to my studies."

"Studies," inquired Grimbeorn.

"I have studied under Radagast for many years now in the arts of healing."

The conversation continued...

:ooc: You guys may pick up on this thread and do a little more RP'ing. If no one adds anything by tomorrow, I will move the story on. I will answer for Idunn until Ayrn gets back from his travels.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Okay, quick corruption test.  Per TOR p 223, I suspect he'll only gain a corruption point if he fails and rolls a  :~~:

DC 14 Wisdom 3
:00: 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 2, 3, total 8

Character sheet

Telcontar

"I am afraid the arts of healing are only a portion of what we need right now. From everything we have seen and heard the shadow is stirring. I dont know if it is growing or just thrashing about, but times seem to be growing darker. The Company of the Helm needs to grow mighty indeed, for there are few it seems who will venture far from their walls. As hesitant as I am to say it Mogred seems to be the only one who is actively trying to confront things. His motives are suspect and we still dont know for sure if he is a bulwark or an advisary. The Blood Moon Orcs dont seem to be in league with him, but they grow bolder none the less. I wish Ceawin had not involved us in this helm bussiness as goblins are a threat we have some skill to deal with."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Jun 14, 2016, 07:11 PM:ooc: Okay, quick corruption test.  Per TOR p 223, I suspect he'll only gain a corruption point if he fails and rolls a  :~~:

:ooc: I guess the situation does call for a test, per the rules.

I should have read my book!
;D

GandalfOfBorg

"Yes, orcs are a menace to be dealt with but they are menace that is more easily known and matched than any spirit or shade that defiles those during the Long Sleep.  They have a power of corruption that is like their master that fled Dol Guldur.  That corruption is a pestilence that can spread on wings faster and more subtly than ravaging orcs.  If we must grow mighty as you say, then we shall," assured Grimbeorn.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16