• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 23, 2024, 09:51 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Black Tidings and the Black Tarn

Started by tomcat, Jun 07, 2016, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Ceawin allowed the companions another four days to rest from their previous travel before his van was to begin the crossing of Mirkwood. It was agreed that the caravan would stop at the Black Tarn and that the companions might be a little delayed based on Arbogast's needs, but that they would quickly catch up to the men of Sunstead. In all of the preparations and counsels, Radagast was not seen or heard from - the wizard had been gone into the wilds of Mirkwood.

Ceawin's company was smaller than it had been from its original crossing, as much of the group had dispersed. Lady Verwyne and her entourage had stayed in Woodland Hall after her wedding; others had had other purposes to perform for the Master and acting as emissaries made their way into the Anduin Vale and the other settlements that were there. The Lord of Sunstead was working hard to create the alliances and unions that would help propel his people, and the other Woodmen, into a strong future.

So with the five companions, the total number that would cross the Narrows was eighteen - including Ceawin. The sun was shining bright as they mounted in the shade under the canopy of woods that morning of the first day of September, 2951. The heat, though, was high as the air was still and many felt uncomfortable with the trek ahead of them.

It was decided that horses would be used to make the crossing for the narrows were said to be not as confining as the woods north or south of that region. Ceawin believed it would expedite the trip and so he paid the coin necessary to take ownership of the mounts. He then gave each of the companions their horse as payment for their services in the crossing. "I gift you each with these fine horses, but they are now yours to care for and upkeep."

Some of the companions worried about how the horses would handle themselves within the wood, especially if any of its denizens were encountered. Still, none balked at the gift.

It was thirty miles to the Black Tarn and Arbogast agreed with all the travelers that they were one day's travel to his home. Beyond that, the trip would take them at least ten more days barring no ill happenings.

:ooc: Crossing the Narrows
Total 110 miles but will be modified by x3 due to Severe terrain; horses normally not able to be ridden, so I am only giving a mounted travel rate of 30 (instead of 40 miles per day); so, total travel time will be 11 days minus any unforeseen events.

-Lore test to gain success dice at TN 14
-3 Fatigue tests (Travel) required at TN 18
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

disench4nted

:ooc:
I hope my horse is a pony......  ;)

:00: Lore

Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

:00: Travel 1

Rolled 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 6, total 16

:00: Travel 2

Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 2, total 9

:00: Travel 3

Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 5, total 9

tomcat

Jun 07, 2016, 09:22 AM #2 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:17 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Lore test first, for all PC's:
TN 14 Lore by PC
Arbogast will invoke his Mirkwood-lore trait for a normal auto-success
:00: Bandy 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 3, total 7

:00: Esgalwen 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

:00: Grimbeorn 1d12 : 4, total 4

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

disench4nted

Jun 07, 2016, 09:23 AM #3 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 09:28 AM by disench4nted
 :ooc:
I just get one success die from the Lore right?

I'm adding it to Travel 3 roll

:00: Travel 3 + Success die

This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

(edit: I posted at the same time as you, hence the tampered warning. My total for the third roll is 20)

tomcat

Jun 07, 2016, 09:26 AM #4 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:20 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Yea, you get 1 success die for your roll, even though it is a :g:

ALSO - Idunn invoked her Mirkwood-lore to gain a normal auto-success on her lore test. She'll be able to use her success die for when she leaves the Black Tarn.

The party members have:
Arbogast - 1 Success die
Bandy - 1 Success die
Esgalwen - 1 Success die
Idunn - 1 Success die
Rorin - 1 Success die

tomcat

Jun 07, 2016, 09:33 AM #5 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:26 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Travel tests for Company (except Rorin):
TN 18 Arbogast travel ♦♦○○○○
:00: 1 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 6, total 12

:00: 2 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 1, total 2

:00: 3 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 5, total 9

TN 18 Bandy travel ♦♦○○○○
:00: 1 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 5, total 11

:00: 2 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8

:00: 3 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 5, total 10

TN 18 Esgalwen travel ♦♦♦○○○
:00: 1 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 5, total 12

:00: 2 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 4, 6, total 15

:00: 3 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 3, 6, total 10

TN 18 Grimbeorn travel ♦♦♦○○○
:00: 1 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 1, 1, total 4

:00: 2 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 5, total 16

:00: 3 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 3, 2, total 8

TN 18 Idunn travel ♦○○○○○
:00: 1 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

:00: 2 1d12 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

:00: 3 1d12 : 4, total 4
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3

Rorin has been rolled.

Understand that there will be potentially no ill-effect from Travel tests between Rhosgobel and Black Tarn, unless I get some really bad rolls on Travel test 1 from all PC's.

tomcat

Jun 07, 2016, 10:16 AM #6 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:36 AM by tomcat
:ooc: The party members have:
Arbogast - 1 Success die
Bandy - 1 Success die
Esgawlen - 1 Success die
Idunn - 1 Success die
Rorin - 1 Success die

Arbogast will use his success die
Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4

I will apply the fatigue from travel over the narrative as we RP.

tomcat

Jun 07, 2016, 10:48 AM #7 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:13 AM by tomcat
The first day and a half of travel was relatively easy. The heat of late summer was still hanging on, though the leaves had begun their transition from green to gold. The forest was becoming a wonderful splash of colors and leaves crunched under the hooves of the horses (and ponies). Some of the travelers thought it good omen to see the bright colors splashed with daylight, but those who knew the forest told themselves that it was a dangerous comfort. The forest of Mirkwood had its beauty, but it was deadly to those who did not take care under its boughs.

On the next day, with the sun in an unseen afternoon sky, the forest suddenly opened up to reveal a dark lake that mirrored the forest surrounding it. The water of the Black Tarn rippled with gold and amber, fire reds and fading greens. Frogs croaked; insects buzzed; and on its south shore sat the walled village of Amaleoda.

Arbogast felt his spirits rise quickly as he looked upon his home and smiled at the lake-men who fished with nets out on the water. The smell of burnt wood still hung on the village, but it was still here and still inhabited, which meant that his home was, too...hopefully. The smile faded as he wondered about Lindwine. Was she still here? Was she safe and healthy? Did he still have her favor? The Wood-man spurred his horse forward. He was part of Ceawin's traveling van, but this was his home and he could not wait any longer.

Children were the first to see them approach and herald their arrival. From their cries came the strong men and women of the Tarn in defense of the walls, or to welcome travelers, but the former was easily seen as the apparent purpose. Archers stood upon stands along the interior of the Tarn wall, while spearmen - and women - took up a stance at the gate. Arbogast waved and called to those he recognized, including she that had settled this area, the Lady Amaleoda. Behind him, Ceawin and his entourage came with smiles upon their faces.

Arbogast arrived first, sliding from his mount as he did. Amaleoda returned his welcome, "Arbogast! T'is been a summer since you set upon your way to Rhosgobel. Hopefully you come bearing good news and information that will aid us!"

Behind the Mistress of the Black Tarn stood a beautiful face that was draped with flowing blonde hair that mirrored the color of autumn gold. Eagerness could be seen in her eyes, but Lindwine did not move to him, allowing Amaleoda to speak.

The rest of the travelers began to dismount in the clearing of the gate. Ceawin called, "Amaleoda! Good fortunes be on your house! We have traveled far from Rhosgobel and would ask for the shelter of your walls."

Looking at Arbogast and telling him she would talk to him later, she stepped around him and moved to greet the Master of Sunstead to her hall.

:ooc: Ayrn - this is where you will be able to introduce Idunn into the story and you guys can put together how she knows Arbogast. She lives at Black Tarn and will join the company from here. I look forward to reading the RP interactions - feel free to be creative and fill in the Black Tarn with personalities and descriptions. I will add NPC narrative and dialogue as needed.

You will all learn that the Black Tarn has been attacked once more during the summer season by orcs out of the southern wood carrying sigils of the Blood Moon. Amaleoda will speak of men coming from Tyrant's Hill, by will of Mogdred, to offer the Tarn protection. Mogdred's people denied any knowledge of the Blood Moon and spoke that others, too, have been bothered by these orcs and men.

Finally, it will be told that fishing on the Black Tarn lake has become difficult over the summer season and that it seems that weeds and reeds are growing rampant. Fishermen spend as much time repairing torn nets, or those knotted with lake plants, as they do fishing. The women and children spend the hot summer days along the banks pulling reeds and weeds from the shallower waters. Still, though it has become a bit more work, the River Maidens have been good to the people of the Black Tarn and they all hope for a better summer next year, giving offerings to the Maidens each month.

So be sure to use the above facts in your narratives and dialogues. If anything clashes or is not exactly how things are, I will fix it, but please be creative and give dimension to this town.

Telcontar

Jun 07, 2016, 11:10 AM #8 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:14 AM by Telcontar
Doug the travel tests did not roll our skill dice. Looks like it was added as a bonus instead of Die rolls.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: CRAP! You're right. I forgot how to enter my own damn dice roller code!

I will fix the posts above. Give me some time.

Also, my post above should answer your question regarding Idunn.

tomcat

Jun 07, 2016, 11:38 AM #10 Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016, 11:52 AM by tomcat
:ooc: NEW results from travel tests

PC| DAY 1| Day 2| Day 3| AP/Fatigue
character sheet
Arbogast| :~~: fail| :g: success| 20 success| :csu:
Bandy| 21 Great success| 10 fail| :~~: fail| :csu:
Esgalwen| 22 success| 18 Great success| :g: success| :csu:
Grimbeorn| 13 fail| 26 Great success| 17 fail| :csu:
Idunn| 7 fail| 9 fail| 7 fail| :csu:
Rorin| 24 Great success| 10 fail| 20 success| :csu:

tomcat

:ooc: I will work the :~~: encounter/hazards in after the Black Tarn visit

Telcontar

:ooc: oh great....just what we wanted.... ;D
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

:ooc: I will work in Tom's last post in Helm of Peace into this new thread, later tonight.

Telcontar

:ooc: OK doug. I had some things too, but I'll wait for you. I'll be free tomorrow and near my books to fiddle with some things.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear