• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 29, 2024, 12:22 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Into Dol Guldur

Started by Telcontar, Oct 07, 2015, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disench4nted

:ooc: For crying out loud

Bandobras

:ooc: That's a lot of  :~~: s. Here's hoping to avoid that fate.
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

tomcat

Oct 18, 2015, 04:33 PM #77 Last Edit: Oct 18, 2015, 04:36 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Going to make the roll for Esgalwen so we can move the scene forward.

TN 16 valour ♦♦♦
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 3d6 : 1, 4, 4, total 9

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Funny - it was the three Men-folk that overcame the calling...

Bandy heard a song start to swell from within the moaning mists. It was distant and beautiful and he found himself enchanted. The voices called to him and told him of rest and peace and to be forever alive. All he had to do was join them...go to them. The Hobbit moved out of the ring of his friends and started to walk towards the mists that grasped the edges of the bridge. Finger-like tendrils reached above the span and out towards the small fellow. The young Bracegirdle found he could do naught to resist, even if he had wanted too.

Unknown to Bandy, two of his other companions had heard the cry and were also entranced. Orophin and Rorin both were called and they greatly desired to enter the mist, to go to those that beckoned. Even as Grimbeorn reached out to grab the Dwarf, Rorin shoved off the large man's hands and strode quickly to the bridge's side.

Below, the quagmire that was the Dol Guldur moat lay fetid and thick. The candles of the dead shone brightly and the fog became more luminous.

:ooc: Three PC's are entranced, four are not. If you want to try and stop them from stepping off the bridge into the moat, I need an opposed Athletics test. Orophin and Rorin must add their favoured Body attribute, as they are overwhelmed by the call of the dead - due to their :~~: results.

Each unaffected PC must state which character they are going to try and stop.

DON"T DO ANYTHING YET WITH ROLLS UNTIL I POST AGAIN - I WANT TO SEE IF THERE IS SOME BETTER OPPOSED TEST OPTION.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:SS  Grimbeorn's attempt to restrain his companion was unsuccessful and so he's unsure as what yo do next.  "Radagast, what draws them so can we knock sense into them?"  He looks about erratically, hoping for some inspiration.

:ooc: what about some rousing speech?  Something to get their attention?  Whack 'em on the head?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

Exhausted as he is, Arbogast misses Bandy until he has strayed nearly to the water's edge.  There is no time for words, so he makes a panicked grab for the hobbit's hood...

:ooc: This seems to call or for the brawling/wrestling use of the Dagger skill.  Song might also be thematically appropriate.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Oct 18, 2015, 05:59 PM:ooc: This seems to call or for the brawling/wrestling use of the Dagger skill.  Song might also be thematically appropriate.

:ooc: Yea, Paul - I read that in the core book last night and I have to be honest, it seems like the authors of this mechanic gave that to us as an afterthought. Hence the little sidebar box. I don't think tests of will, or bearing, or strength were well thought out in TOR.

Even the valour test I requested to resist the evil will of the dead spirits' calling was something I had to come up with on the fly, as I couldn't find any appropriate ruling or power. But since valour fights fear, I thought it a good choice.

Tolkien's entire works are about willpower and testing one's endurance. I am not sure why the creators of this game left that idea out of the mechanics.

Anyway, I am bouncing the question off of the TOR Google+ site and will see what makes sense. Give me some time to figure out how I want to test you all.

Telcontar

I am thinking an Inspire Roll TN10 modified by the targets corruption/shadow points.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Okay, I have figured out how I want to run this. The PC who is attempting to stop one of their fellows who is entranced may do 1 of 2 things:

1) Grapple them and hold them from the side of the bridge and then usher them across
2) try to Inspire, or Song, them and break the enchantment

The base target number will be TN 10 plus the enchanted PC's governing attribute for the skill type used; Rorin and Orophin will use their favoured attribute as they are really trying to join the calling voices.

So, to wrestle Bandy to the ground would be an Athletics TN 12, but for Rorin it would be a TN 18, and Orophin a TN 17

To try and break the hold on the PC would be: Bandy (Song TN 12, or Inspire TN 16); Rorin (Song TN 18, Inspire TN 17); and Orophin (Song TN 17, Inspire TN 13)

So, post which person you are going to try and stop and then roll whichever type test you want to make. You get 1 shot per PC before they go over the edge. You may spend Hope to assist your roll.

disench4nted

:ooc: Rorin is screwed lol

Telcontar

This is going to be epic.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

GandalfOfBorg

Seeing no response from the Wizard ("Sometimes they are more trouble than their worth," thinks Grimbeorn), the Beorning heir tries one more time to grab his dwarven friend.

:ooc:
 :00:
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 3, total 5

Gwaithlim Weapons

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Athletics is a Favored Skill for Beorn, so he uses 1 Hope to add 9 to his result for a total of 20.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

:ooc: Hey Matt and Paul - did you guys post something above that did not show up in the thread? I see you guys have comments above about trying to stop your companions, but failing. Then Matt wrote the Wizard did not respond.

Are there posts not showing up? Let me know so I can ascertain my boards are recording your posts when you make them.

And yes, Matt, Rorin is pulled from the edge. Great roll!

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I had a post #78 that came right after your last story post.
Gwaithlim Weapons