• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 28, 2024, 07:58 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Through the Haunted Wood

Started by tomcat, Sep 23, 2015, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: Here is a question for my fellow TOR rule wizards...

Orophin has the trait Merry, which states the character is not easily discouraged and can find the light in darkest shadows - TOR p.99

So - is it safe to allow him to call this trait into action on the Corruption test?

As for criteria in using Traits - a corruption test is not a Common Skill test that seems to bind all uses of traits.

So - should he not be able to use this trait against Corruption?

I think it is something that should apply, but I would maybe limit it to 1 extra advantage die against the Target Number.

Your input is appreciated.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

That sounds pretty reasonable.  I'd actually let it go in other circumstances, but it's pretty hard to stay merry in southern Mirkwood when all your food is gone.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

As for using hope, could I invoke my Patient attribute for a basic success? Arbogast's mind isn't on what he's doing, but patience and taking care is part of his nature at a pretty deep level.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Quote from: Eclecticon on Sep 26, 2015, 08:39 PMThat sounds pretty reasonable.  I'd actually let it go in other circumstances, but it's pretty hard to stay merry in southern Mirkwood when all your food is gone.

:ooc: agreed, so instead of an auto-success, I am just going to award an additional d6 roll. He needs a 4 or higher to succeed.

Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

Quote from: Eclecticon on Sep 26, 2015, 08:42 PMAs for using hope, could I invoke my Patient attribute for a basic success? Arbogast's mind isn't on what he's doing, but patience and taking care is part of his nature at a pretty deep level.

I am good with this, too. Arbogast succeeds at Stealth.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: Oops... the Stealth TN above should've been 14.

UPDATED

CORRUPTION TN 16

• Arbogast failed Wisdom - gains 1 Shadow point
• Esgalwen rolled a :g: on Wisdom and is successful
• Orophin invokes a trait and succeeds

STEALTH TN 14
• Arbogast invokes a trait and succeeds
• Esgalwen failed - will spend a point of HOPE to succeed
• Orophin succeeded

Need Grimbeorn, Bandy, and Rorin

Bandobras

:ooc: Here we go with Corruption

Rolled 1d12 : 7, total 7

Rolled 3d6 : 4, 2, 5, total 11

And Stealth

Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Rolled 3d6 : 6, 1, 3, total 10

Bandobras

Bandy withdraws further into the underbrush and draws his bow. Thorns tug at his cloak and he fears the orcs will hear him. Exerting all his will, he stops and remains motionless, although he it is only a matter of time before the orcs will see him. He looks to his companions and hopes that they will have the good sense to let the beasts fight it out among themselves. The noisesome, slavering creatures are not as big as he imagined but they are still much larger than a Hobbit. And they look wickedly cruel.

Bandy curses to himself as he see Arbogast creeping toward the orcs. What is he doing? The look on Arbogast's face suggests this is the best, the only way. I must trust to friendship and his expereince, he thinks, as he too begins to move slowly, silently toward the orcs. 

:ooc: I'll spend a point of Hope to pass the Stealth test

And a Battle Roll
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Bandobras

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 26, 2015, 08:26 PM:I think it is something that should apply, but I would maybe limit it to 1 extra advantage die against the Target Number.

Sounds reasonable to me. Either that or you could lower the TN by one level.

Telcontar

Quote from: tomcat on Sep 26, 2015, 08:26 PM:ooc: Here is a question for my fellow TOR rule wizards...

Orophin has the trait Merry, which states the character is not easily discouraged and can find the light in darkest shadows - TOR p.99

So - is it safe to allow him to call this trait into action on the Corruption test?

As for criteria in using Traits - a corruption test is not a Common Skill test that seems to bind all uses of traits.

So - should he not be able to use this trait against Corruption?

I think it is something that should apply, but I would maybe limit it to 1 extra advantage die against the Target Number.

This was discussed on the Cubicle 7 forum a few years ago when the game came out. I think the consensus from a rules persepective then was that it was up to the Loremaster. The group also felt that to use a trait to be 'immune' from corruption or Fatigue tests was not in the spirit of the game as those two pieces are core elements of the story telling aspect of thegame.
I dont know if further erratta has come out on the subject since then.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

disench4nted

:ooc:

Corruption:
Rolled 1d12 : 4, total 4

Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6

Stealth:
Rolled 1d12 : 11, total 11

Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

disench4nted

:ooc: These 11's are KILLING me lol. I'll let the LoreMasters deal with the fallout from that one.

Telcontar

Sep 27, 2015, 01:01 PM #56 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2015, 03:32 PM by Telcontar
Quote from: tomcat on Sep 26, 2015, 07:44 PM:ooc: LOL! Dude, I promise you I have no control over the rolling code!  ;D

Really good posts, by the way.

Sure Doug....sure.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

:ooc: Making the rolls for Grimbeorn:

CORRUPTION
TN 16 Wisdom ♦♦♦
:00: 1d12 : 11, total 11
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 2, 4, total 11

STEALTH
TN 14 Stealth ○○○○○○
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8

tomcat

Sep 27, 2015, 02:56 PM #58 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2015, 02:58 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Incredible! The number of 11's that have shown up in these last series of rolls are insane. It's like the roller knows you guys are in the land of the Shadow!  :o

UPDATED

CORRUPTION TN 16

• Arbogast failed Wisdom - gains 1 Shadow point
• Esgalwen rolled a :g: on Wisdom and is successful
• Orophin invokes a trait and succeeds
• Bandy rolls an 18 and succeeds
• Roron failed Wisdom - gains 1 Shadow point
• Grimbeorn rolled an  :~~: - gains 1 Shadow point

STEALTH TN 14
• Arbogast invokes a trait and succeeds
• Esgalwen failed - will spend a point of HOPE to succeed
• Orophin succeeded
• Bandy spends a Hope and succeeds
• Rorin rolls an  :~~: - fails Stealth
• Grimbeorn rolled an 8 -fails Stealth

More to come a little later tonight.

If anyone has not given me a battle roll, might as well roll them now for me. I will make the rolls for anyone who has not posted by later tonight.

disench4nted

:ooc:  battle roll:
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9

Rolled 2d6 : 4, 4, total 8