• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 11:18 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Through the Haunted Wood

Started by tomcat, Sep 23, 2015, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telcontar

Radagast scratched at his beard in thought. "Normally I would advocate the eating of roots and plant life. However, due to your need and where we are I would say that they would be the most dangerous. Many of the animals here, even the ordinary ones are quite feral and ill tempered. For our purposes I would say that any game animals that you find would be fit to eat. That may not be the case the closer we get to the fens and the hill, but that will be self evident when you see their appearance. Eat only animals that are free of missing fur or open wounds , and if they smell foul when cleaned do not eat the meat."
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

disench4nted

:ooc: If possible Rorin would like to spend a Hope to make his first travel roll a success.

Rorin stared in disbelief at the broiling mass of life that their food bags had become. He picked up his own bag dumped the contents on the ground hoping that something of the contents remained untainted by this pestilence, but every last scrap of food was covered by the bugs...Even the package of salted pork that he had brought to share with his companions on a choice night by a fire. He looked for somebody to share this loss with, but the group's mood was somber and he decided to keep this small disappointment to himself.

To nobody in particular he said, "My father always told me to be wary of these cursed woods, it seems the old man was wiser than he seemed. Would that I had sturdy rock beneath my feet."

tomcat

:ooc: I adjusted Rorin for the hope point and the reduction of fatigue.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

:ooc: spoiled salted pork!? Oh there is worse to come.....worse to come.  :SS  :\  >:D
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Bandobras

Numb and withdrawn, Bandy looks between the grave and the spoiled food and feels as if he has suffered an inconsolable loss. He has no words for the occasion or for his friends and only wants to escape this deadful place. Wearily, he says, "let us not tarry here any longer."

GandalfOfBorg

"Your words are noted.  Do any wish to join me in the hunt?"

:ooc: Grimbeorn's will set out when others are settled so he knows where to find them.
 :00:
hunting -  1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 3d6 : 5, 5, 3, total 13
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Bandobras

Not wanting to linger any longer, Bandy accepts Grimbeorn's offer. "I shall join you, if you do not mind. I am not much of a hunter but I can provide an extra set of eyes and can shoot well in case of trouble."

tomcat

Sep 26, 2015, 04:48 PM #37 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2015, 04:56 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Matt, I am taking note of your successful hunting roll and will bring it into the Narrative very soon. I also already checked your success box on your sheet for Advancement Points, but the story narrative at the moment doesn't lend itself to Grimbeorn going off by himself to bring in a kill. I am not railing the game here, and we could even say that the company does sit and wait a day while the Beorning goes to hunt, but I'd rather work in his success in another way.

Cool?

And Jamie, I am only laying the blame on Rorin and Grimbeorn (below) cause it was Rorin's  :~~: that caused the Hazard, and Grimbeorn's  :~~: that failed the Hazard test.  ;D

Orophin stood, too, when the large Beorning posed his question, "Aye, it would help my mind to go for a hunt. There is much darkness here and to share in the delight of a hunt would remind me of my home far to the north. While we are away, perhaps someone can empty the packs and see what can be salvaged? We will also need a fire for certain."

To this, the Elf looked towards the Dwarf. It was not unknown to the Company that it was Rorin who had piled their backpacks where he did after the burial. In truth, it had been both Grimbeorn and Rorin who had set the encampment while the others either stood watch, or prepared the dinner. The fact that the Dwarf and Man had no idea that the packs would be infested by the terrible insects was irrelevant to the Elf. Even after the northern war, the relations between Elf and Dwarf were strained.

Radagast broke into the tension that was felt by all, "Though it would seem appropriate to go and hunt to bring us food, it is not the time. We must push on quickly and perhaps cinch our belts a little tighter. The dead Dúnadan was a warning for those that trespass in these woods, though it is uncertain to whom he offended. The Necromancer is gone but his shadow lies on the land...and the hearts of men."

Esgalwen looked to the wizard at this statement, "Perhaps it was orcs, or some other fell thing?"

"Perhaps," answered Radagast, "but we neither have the time to sort it out, nor the strength. We are but a day's travel before we come to the fens of Dol Guldur and then our decision is before us to either take the Fenbridge, which could be held by orcs, or traverse the fens themselves. Either choice is dangerous, but it is a choice that must be made. Fear not, Grimbeorn and Orophin - there will be time for us to garner food if any can be found."

The wizard stood, his staff in hand. He lifted his hat and atop his head was a nest, streaks of bird droppings running down his bald pate. Within the nest a bird flitted about and Radagast raised a finger to allow it to hop on as if a perch. He brought the bird close to mouth and he whispered. The small creature seemed to understand and then it was off - flying north through the woods. That done, the old brown man began to walk away towards the south.

"Come along now," he said. The companions all watched him in wonder and then grabbed their things and made to follow. Only Esgalwen hesitated - looking back to the grave of her fallen friend. She nodded, whispered a prayer and an oath under her breath, and then she, too, followed.

The rain continued through another day of their travel. The soft patter on the leaves above reminded Bandy of the sound of bacon as it popped and sputtered over a fire. It did not come down hard, just constant, and they were saturated to the core. Their hoods up, hung low over their faces from the weight of the water and drips dropped annoyingly from the brim.

Rorin rubbed at his neck, over and over, as he constantly feared that the insects that had crawled all over his pack were now on his back and in his hair. But though his fears were assuaged by Orophin, who followed close behind, still the Dwarf reached to rub and scratch.

It was late afternoon on the seventh day since they had left the comfort of Mogdred's hall when Esgalwen suddenly went low to the ground and took cover. She held a hand up to her friends to do the same and to be quiet. In the distance, just barely covered by the patter of the rain, the sound of cruel voices could be heard.

"Ay now, Kor, let's say you hand it over so's we can all see what you 'ave?"

"I'll hand over nuthin'! I found it in the dirt and leaves and I will do with it what I want."

"No, no, no... we're a pack and we's share amongst the pack, Kor!"

"And I'll shove my fist inta yer guts if you don't shut yer trap! I found it! I keep it! And if any of you lugs thinks you can take it...then try."

"Shut up!"

"What's that you say, ya filthy maggot!"

"I says shuddup! Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

For a moment, Esgalwen's heart froze thinking that their Company had been heard, if not seen. But then, she too heard the clomp of heavy boots. She bent to look around the tree and saw another group of orcs come running towards the first. To her left, Grimbeorn also leaned against a tree - his face a grim mask.

"YOU CURS! Whatcha be doin' in our woods, here?"

"Your woods? These woods are everyone's now that your dark master has left you behind!"

"Why you... he was your master, too, until you and your filthy friends here decided to make good with those...men! Whatcha got there?"

"We's go where the power is and it is growing! You are no more than filthy lapdogs licking at a pot that's empty! And what I have is mine own - now get ya gone! Run back to that rotting fortress on the hill."

"You maggot! I'll spill your stomach for that and watch as your lads eat what's left. Now...what do you have there? Looks like pretty fine steel - much nicer than any of you boys could make. Where did it come from? You find it here in my woods?"

"Your woods? ..."

And so the argument continued.

Hearing the words and thinking about her friend, Esgalwen peered once more around her tree to take a closer look. In the hand of a large orc, the one that had to be named Kor, was a sword. A finely made sword. Was it the treasured weapon of her friend's house?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Sep 26, 2015, 05:23 PM #38 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2015, 07:46 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay guys, you all see a party of four orcs arguing over something - and then - another four orcs come running in from the east. The argument is loud and nasty, but the orcs have yet to draw weapons on each other.

You guys need to give me a Stealth roll TN 14

Any failed roll means you guys are seen, heard, or smelled... I will see what happens.  ;)

If all successful, you guys also need to tell me - in character or out - whether you guys want to assault this group of eight orcs, or see if they end up killing themselves. Maybe they'll go their own ways.  (-D

No matter what, Esgalwen has a burning fire in her belly to find out if that is Ardil's family heirloom.

I will wait to see what you all decide.

To my knowledge, Orophin is my only PC that is now an NPC. Esgalwen will become one while Ayrn is away, if needs require that. Grimbeorn will be run by Matt at least until he makes his vows and goes off on a honeymoon.

No matter what, I will keep the story running and play the characters as needed. (If anyone is not happy with a GM-run PC decision, we can always work things out later).

It isn't really necessary until 'day 8' of travel (which is 'tomorrow' in game time), but I am going to now request the first needed Corruption test TN 16 for ALL PC's.

I am going to roll the needed rolls for Orophin and Esgalwen in the next post. Ayrn, if you are still able to be around - go ahead and work off of the rolls as your character would. If you can't be around, I will post for her again in a couple days.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Let's see how the forest is weighing on Arbogast's spirits before I do anything IC...

Rolling Wisdom 2 vs TN 16 -
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

The gloom, hunger and suspicion that he is unable to dispel lie heavy on the mind of Arbogast as he crouches in the sickly undergrowth.  There is no question in his mind: he is for battle and bloodshed in an attempt to drive away the darkness within by force of arms.  He takes the space of a few breaths to look over the tangled woods ahead - hardly the perfect terrain for an ambush, but certainly not the worst. 

He begins to work his way closer to the orcs, certain that his companions - as seasoned warriors as he - will be doing the same... and then thinks of Bandobras.  The Hobbbit has held his tongue since the spoiling of the food, but he must surely be as unhappy as he.  He is far from home and likely has no desire for deadly clash of arms.  And yet, if the orcs are not slain, they may pick up their trail and ambush them in turn as they near Dol Guldur.  So - a decision: if Bandobras is for battle then he will fight, but in defence of his friends, not for the sake of rash bloodlust. 

He looks back to his closest friend, cocks his head towards the orcs and raises an eyebrow.  Well?  What do you think?

:ooc: Stealth roll:
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 5, total 9
Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

Also, Battle roll:
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 5, total 7
Rolled 1d12 : 2, total 2

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Character sheet

tomcat

:ooc: LOL! Dude, I promise you I have no control over the rolling code!  ;D

Really good posts, by the way.

tomcat

:ooc: Alright, here are Esgalwen and Orophin's tests:

CORRUPTION

Esgalwen
TN 16 Wisdom ♦♦
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 2, total 3

Orophin
TN 16 Wisdom ♦♦
:00: 1d12 : 7, total 7
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 3, total 5

STEALTH
Esgalwen
TN 16 Stealth ♦♦○○○○
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 1, total 3

Orophin
TN 16 Stealth ♦♦○○○○
:00: 1d12 : 8, total 8
Rolled 2d6 : 3, 5, total 8

tomcat

:ooc: Oops... the Stealth TN above should've been 14.

CORRUPTION TN 16
• Arbogast failed Wisdom - gains 1 Shadow point
• Esgalwen rolled a :g: on Wisdom and is successful
• Orophin failed Wisdom - gains 1 Shadow point

STEALTH TN 14
• Arbogast failed - do you wanna spend a point of HOPE to succeed?
• Esgalwen failed - will spend a point of HOPE to succeed
• Orophin succeeded

Need Grimbeorn, Bandy, and Rorin