• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 01:09 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

On Tyrant's Hill

Started by tomcat, Sep 12, 2015, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Sep 12, 2015, 11:30 AM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2015, 09:28 AM by tomcat
The Company revealed themselves to the wardens of the Tyrant's Hill fortress and they were led within the wooden palisade. Esgalwen was immediately recognized, along with the Brown Wizard, but only the Dúnadan was received warmly. It was evident that there was little trust between the men of the hill-fort and the mage.

The group was led to the large long house that stood at the pinnacle of Tyrant's Hill, next to the tower that had been raised long ago by the Necromancer. The two structures were a dichotomy - one a symbol of the power that had oppressed this land for many lives of men; the other a home that had a future for the people of the southern wood. They climbed the stairs to two, large and open doors, both of which had been reinforced with iron and had gold inlay though the work looked crude.

This was Mogdred's Hall.

There was no fire that burned in the great, central hearth; the long table was empty of folk; and only an old hound lay near the round, stone dais that supported a throne of wood. A dove fluttered off of the table and flew to the rafters above, but not before emptying its bowels upon a wooden plate. A serving woman gave a harumph as she shooed away another bird and continued to collect the platters that covered the great table. It was clear that there had been a feast here within the last few days.

A man of forty years, or more, approached and was introduced to the company by Esgalwen. His name was Ohdalf, son of Ondal, and he was chamberlain to the house of Mogdred. The company looked around and noticed that the Tyrant Hill was only filled with mostly women-folk, children, and elders. There were a few strong men, but otherwise the fort was empty. The Dúnadan woman knew that the women here were equally skilled at weapon as their men, but the men were absent.

"Welcome, Esgalwen," said Ohdalf. He cocked an eye at the remainder of the group and his mood stayed somber.

:ooc: Mogdred and the folk of Tyrant's Hill meeting

Tolerance is set to 3 (based on Esgalwen -or- Grimbeorn's Valour)
• Esgalwen's Standing added a point, but the prejudice these people feel towards wizards (Radagast) removed a point.

So, the PC's cannot fail more than 3 tests

• All PC's made a TN 14 Insight test to determine any advantages
   - Esgalwen invokes a trait and earns 1 Advantage die
   - Arbogast rolls an  :g: and earns 1 Advantage die
   - Grimbeorn uses a Hope point to succeed and earns 1 Advantage die
   - Bandy is successful and earns 1 Advantage die
   - Rorin used a point of Hope and so earned 1 Advantage die
   - Orophin fails
• You guys need to decide if you will introduce yourselves individually, or have a representative
   - if all introduce, must roll TN 14 (below); if successful, may participate in interactions
   - if representative, must roll TN 14 (below); if successful, all interactions are performed by the one PC
• Introduction TN 14 [awe, courtesy, or riddle]
• Interactions TN 16 [insight, inspire, persuade, riddle, song]
• Interactions will commence after the introduction

You may roll tests as you please, and then give narrative/dialogue as to what your PC is doing/saying.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Bandobras

:ooc: Since a few of us expressed an interest in speaking with Mogdred, we should probably make individual introductions. What do you all think?

Eclecticon

Sep 13, 2015, 02:48 PM #2 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2015, 07:34 PM by Eclecticon
"Greetings to you, Ohdalf, son of Ondal," says Arbogast, steadily.  "I am the Fire-watcher, born of the day passed down, whose voice rose loudest in support of your Lord at the folk-moot." 

:ooc: Using Riddle for my introduction:
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 2d6 : 2, 6, total 8
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: Please ignore the tampering notification - I had to edit the post to correct the kenning of Arbogast's patronymic. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: What skill would we roll for the introduction?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 14, 2015, 09:38 AM #5 Last Edit: Sep 15, 2015, 05:21 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Eclecticon on Sep 13, 2015, 02:53 PM:ooc: Please ignore the tampering notification - I had to edit the post to correct the kenning of Arbogast's patronymic.

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Sep 14, 2015, 06:34 AM:ooc: What skill would we roll for the introduction?

Quote from: Bandobras on Sep 13, 2015, 03:16 AM:ooc: Since a few of us expressed an interest in speaking with Mogdred, we should probably make individual introductions. What do you all think?

:ooc: Not a problem, Paul.

Sorry, Matt - I updated the post above with the test types that you can make for introductions and interactions. I would just like to get narrative/dialogue (or even OOC defining) as to how your PC is using said skill.

You will find all encounter rules on page 185 of the Revised rules, or page 163 of the Adventurer's Book.

Bandy - though I cannot speak for them, it appears you can go with a YES from everyone as to your question.  ;)

Ohdalf clicked his tongue as he stared down his nose at Arbogast, "Er...well met, Arbogast. I was not present at this moot, but I do recall my master spoke of one of the Woodmen speaking for his cause. So that was you? You are welcome here."
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

The young Beorning knew little of courtly courtesy and actually despised it.  The obfuscation that his companion alluded to with his introduction irked him as well.  "We are plain folk, speak that way," he thought.  "I am Grimbeorn, son of Beorn."

:ooc:
 :00:
TN 14 Awe - 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 6, total 17

Gwaithlim Weapons

Bandobras

Smiling at Grimbeorn's taciturn introduction, Bandy bows low, knowing the flourish will irritate the Beorning. "Greetings Ohdalf, son of Ondal. I am Bandobras Bracegirdle of the Shire. I thank you for allowing tired travelers such as ourselves into your master's fine hall."

:ooc: Courtesy
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

Rolled 3d6 : 2, 5, 6, total 13

tomcat

Sep 15, 2015, 08:25 AM #8 Last Edit: Sep 15, 2015, 08:54 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Nice rolls, guys!

Remember to add your rolls with your next posts for interactions (all at TN 14). Just remember, there can only be a max of 3 failures.

Rorin
TN 14 Riddle ♦♦○○○○
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 2, total 6

Orophin
TN 14 Song ♦♦○○○○
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 1, 5, total 6

The companions saw a smile break at the corners of Ohdalf's mouth, when he looked at the Beorning's face reading the thoughts of the large man. Then he saw the diminutive halfling bow low. "What a wonder to behold! A half-man! Not a dwarf, no?"

"No, he be no dwarf," said Rorin, "that would be me. Rorin, son of Barin, of Erebor, and I am at your service. Bandy is a Hobbit from the Shire, and we have had the pleasure of dealing with him and more of his kind, but be careful for he can spin a yarn that will tire even a dwarf ear!"

Orophin stayed towards the back, as his trust for these men who lived so closely to the shadow was short. He did give a courteous nod and introduced himself, but no warmth was felt by any of the companions at his greeting. Radagast was there, too, with the Silvan Elf and he, too, greeted their host. "Hello, Ohdalf. I am Radagast..."

"We know of you, wizard, and all yer kind! Meddling in magics and peoples' affairs as ya thing ye should. I tells myself there be no difference between the weaver of magic in the Golden Wood, in Rhosgobel, nor the Sorcerer's Hill! Ye all dabble in things that best be left alone." He snorted his last words.

"Be that as it may," said Radagast, seeming to take no insult from the chamberlain's harsh words, "we are here to see the master of this house."

"Yes," chimed in Esgalwen. "We have come far and wish to take rest a while in the House of Mogdred and to announce ourselves - instead of being trespassers on his land. May we have words with him?"

Ohdalf jutted forth his chin and squinted his eyes, while looking over the companions. His mind wondered at things that were unknown, but he spoke, "The Lord Mogdred is not here. Where would you all be a'headin' while trampsing over our realm?"

tomcat

:ooc: Rorin will use his advantage die, otherwise he has a failure and you guys are only allowed 2 more

:00: 1d6 : 1, total 1

tomcat

Sep 15, 2015, 08:57 AM #10 Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015, 08:37 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Yep, only 2 failures allowed after this - so I guess I would say, only talk if you think you can make a difference.

Interactions are at a TN 16; Esgalwen is the only one who gets a pass here - but she can give her advantage die.

• Esgalwen invokes a trait and earns 1 Advantage die
• Arbogast rolls an  :g: and earns 1 Advantage die
• Grimbeorn uses a Hope point to succeed and earns 1 Advantage die
• Bandy is successful and earns 1 Advantage die
• Rorin invokes a trait and earns 1 Advantage die [used]
• Orophin rolls an  :g: and earns 1 Advantage die

You might ask, if Esgalwen gets a pass, do we need to make any more tests? You don't - she can talk to Ohdalf for you all, but the number of successes will control the degree of overall success.

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn meets the elder man's gaze and returns it in kind, standing stout and proud.  He is more than willing to give retort to the clear challenge but will wait to see if any give response.
Gwaithlim Weapons

Posterboy

:ooc: Give me until the morning. I can post a reply for Esgalwen to his question and speak on behalf of the group if you guys like. My intention is to use persuade, hope, and bonus dice... and her Fair trait if needed. I think I should be able to pass the tests. I should be able to post tonight.

Posterboy

:ooc: Esgalwen will roll persuade for this next interaction... TN 16:

Rolled 2d6 : 5, 3, total 8

Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Posterboy

:ooc: She'll also use her binus success die.

Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2