• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:49 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

CHAPTER 2 - Whispers of the Shadow

Started by tomcat, Aug 17, 2015, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Aug 17, 2015, 05:02 PM Last Edit: Aug 17, 2015, 05:44 PM by tomcat
SPRING 2949 T.A.

Rhosgobel bloomed.

The winter had held on as long as it could, but at last the vale of Anduin was released and life returned with gusto. Birdsong fills the long length of the forest as trees greened and flowers painted color across the land. The mountains to the west were still peaked in snow, but their melts allowed for the river to rush and at times break its bonds filling the flood plains with silt and other rich nutrients that were needed.

With the return of Spring came the many wanderers who had taken different paths that had sprouted from the success of the Folk-moot. Their journeys had seen a summer end and another pass, before at last they found their feet bringing them home. Some of the companions had gone together and some alone, but all had shared in new events and so many tidings were revealed.

From those that had returned north, to either the mountain of the Dwarves, Thranduil's Hall, or to Dale came tidings of those lands. King Bard had courted and then married the fair maiden, Una of Dorwinion and the bond reinforced the status of the kingdom of Dale as a rising power in the North. Una, it was said, came with a rich dowry of gold and diplomatic relations. In December, the happy king and queen were blessed with a male son, Prince Bain, making Bard a father at the age of 38.

In Thranduil's realm, a great hunt for a fabled white deer of Mirkwood, a race of enchanted beasts known to roam the forest, had taken place and for the first time the Men of Dale were invited. The Elvenking had declared that any may participate that were friends of the realm. Thranduil's goal was to quell the tension that had grown with the Barding villages along the eastern border of the Woodland Realmfor the mortals continue to trespass into the lands of the Elves. Some wonder at the offering of the Elves to join the hunt and it true intent.

During the hunt, an Elf-maiden, Rutheil, had been captured by exiled Dwarves who had coveted her mithril bow - Penbregol. It had been crafted by the hands of the Dwarf-smith Gamil Zirak and the exiled Dwarves deemed it a handsome weregild to use in the request for aid in the retaking of their own home - the Greydelve. The maiden was rescued by Bardings, much to the delight of the Elvenking who has decided to look past the mortal-folks transgressions into his realm. Also, as a condition of the Elf-maiden's release, an agreement was made that Thranduil would meet with Frár, chieftain of the exiled Dwarves. Yet, with the coming of spring it has yet to happen.

From central Mirkwood came tales of the opening of routes to the eastern eaves and the East Bight. Spiders were rampant in the shadowed heart of the woods, and one had attacked a Woodman boat travelling down the Dusky River. The River-maidens interceded to save the Woodmen by guiding them out of the webs. One of the Woodmen reported seeing a gigantic Spider lurking in the shadows.

On the fringes of the Western Eaves, a skulking shape was seen lingering about and stealing food from the Woodmen. One farmer tried to catch the chicken-thief but the creature retaliated by terrifying the farmer's cows, who trampled the Woodman to death. Ingomer of Woodland Hall has placed a bounty on the head of this 'Bloody Ghost' that was said to hiss and whisper to itself.

:ooc: For player timeframe, this also occurred during this passing year: Balin and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. On the way, they speak of Moria and Balin begins dreaming of a return to that lost city.

More to come... I am piecing some things together.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Aug 28, 2015, 09:27 PM #1 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 09:37 PM by tomcat
A light spring rain had just refreshed the land and now the sun broke through the clouds that ran before its warmth, leaving blue skies above and a thick humidity.

Esgalwen rode into the clearing that had been a large gathering of people just two years past. The field on which the moot had been hosted was now empty save for the fire rings and logs that had been laid about as benches. A feeling of melancholy filled her, as she looked about and saw no one. Under the eaves of the wood was the house of Radagast and the smoke that came from its chimney told of his presence, but otherwise the field was empty.

She had spent the better part of the last year and a half ranging the East Nether Vales and southern Mirkwood in search of word of any companion that might still live. She found none within The Toft - the strong southern village of Men, which was her expectation. If they were alive, they were being held by the orcs, or some master of the filth. The Dúnadan had spent the rest of her time among the folk of Tyrant's Hill. She had pleaded with Mogdred to accompany her, or at least extend her a company of men, to aid in her search, but he had refused. He opened his home to her, but the bitterness of the moot hung on him through the winter, and following summer.

Esgalwen thought about seeking her former companions to ask their aid, but had received word that they were busy with tasks that had sprung from the moot. The Black Tarn was being settled and built and the narrows were being explored to allow easy route to the East Bight. She also wondered at their opinion of her, having ridden off those many months ago with the man that had been scorned by all.

In all of her travel, the most she had achieved was to see the mound that had been raised over her fallen companions and to learn of the Vale. Orcs raided the settlements of Men, but she alone could do little to stem their attacks. Esgalwen sent word to her homeland and lord, and put in motion plans to establish stronger ties with Mogdred and his people with the Steward of Gondor. She saw strength in these Woodmen who lived on the very doorstep of the Shadow and knew an alliance with them would supply Gondor with information and the Woodmen with the needed resources. Esgalwen hoped over time that the entirety of the clans of the Anduin Vale would reconcile and strengthen themselves by their allegiances.

She knew not why, but with the coming of spring felt the need to return to Rhosgobel. Mogdred gave leave grudgingly, and lent her a horse. Now she looked upon the empty grounds and wondered if the her heart had been reading a false calling.

The Dúnadan jumped at the voice, "T'would seem that time has made you more fair, my lady."

Esgalwen turned in her saddle to see the beaming smile of Bandobras the Hobbit. Behind him stood Arbogast and Grimbeorn, looking dour and hot. Next to all was the tall, graceful form of Orophin seeming not to mind the heat in any way. Only the Dwarf, Rorin, was missing and she wondered if he had returned north.

Her heart had not been wrong, after all - they were all here, together, and Esgalwen knew that they would not separate again lest by some dark fate.

:ooc: I know she doesn't fight with a spear, but the look seemed to work for me having spent a year plus living among the Tyrant's Hill folk. The garb looks less sophisticated than what she would be able to get in Gondor.

I will leave the story open to you as to whether there was any advances of affection made by Mogdred, or any other man on the Tyrant's Hill.

Your request for nice gifts to Mogdred are part of the letters you sent home, but nothing has been sent north as of yet. Cool?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Posterboy

:ooc: She could fight with a spear if you want though. It's be pretty easy to change her weapon skills from longsword and great bow to spears and a bow... the pic looks great and the intro to chapter 2 awesome! Thanks!

Esgalwen smiled warmly at her small friend as she dismount from her horse. "And, t'would seem time has made you even more corded," she said as she playfully squeezed his bicep. Before he could reply, she graced his forehead with a kiss, "It is good to see you strong and well, my friend."

Addressing all of them, "It is good to see all of you again. Indeed, my heart has longed to see each of you again. Often, I had asked for news of you. I am thankful that our paths come together once more. "

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn favored her with a smile in return, a rarity for one called "grim."  "It is good to see you well, too.  We have all returned as there is much to do; only now has the pebble fallen that may start the avalanche."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Quote from: Posterboy on Aug 29, 2015, 02:07 PM:ooc: She could fight with a spear if you want though. It's be pretty easy to change her weapon skills from longsword and great bow to spears and a bow... the pic looks great and the intro to chapter 2 awesome! Thanks!

:ooc: No, I do not want to change her weapons of choice. The Rangers of Ithilien, being the guerrilla-type fighters that they became have always been depicted (IMO) as archers and swordsmen. That said, I would have no problem with her adding spear to her skill set at some point, having spent time with the woodmen of Mirkwood.

Glad you liked the intro scene!

The companions quickly moved to a table that Radagast had out under the boughs where he hosted visitors with bread and honey. The wizard was not currently present, but the abundance of food and wine was available and so they ate. Stories were shared as they caught up their doings over the last year and a half. Much had happened since the Folk-moot and so the day moved from afternoon to dusk.

Esgalwen learned that Radagast had taken them in, as their patron, though Arbogast had also made his home at the Black Tarn. He and Grimbeorn had traveled much, back and forth, between the narrows, working with Ceawin and his people to open roads to the east. They spoke of the labors of it all, and that much more work needed done, as spiders and other fell-beasts from the south would fill the clearings that they made, as soon as they moved on.

Bandobras chimed in with his tale or song, when he had the chance, as he, too, had taken part in the efforts - though he felt his contributions did not compare to that of the great woodmen. To this he was chided by the others, for he could not understand that merely his pleasant personality, with stories of home and table, had sheltered and emboldened the mens' hearts when the forest was gloomiest.

They chatted long, perhaps made longer by the sweet honey-mead that they drank, until at last a voice hearkened to them, "What a merry gathering of friends!"

The companions turned to see two old men waking towards them - one in brown, the other gray. Radagast they recognized immediately, but the other none knew save in tales that they had heard. "Allow me to introduce to you, Gandalf the Gray, my dear friend." The Brown wizard then introduced the companions in kind.

"Well met," said Gandalf, a long-stemmed wooden pipe clenched in his teeth. "Might we, too, partake in your drink?"

Eclecticon

Always a believer in showing hospitality to strangers, fills mead-horns and passes them to the new arrivals. 

"And well met to you, friend of my people.  Many tales have I heard of you and your travels.  He who gave the lamp to the young Balthi will never want for bread or mead at any table in the forest!  Drink and rest, for doubtless your way has been long and troubled.  When you are more at ease, perhaps you will tell us what has brought you here, for to find two wizards together is no mean thing." 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Bandobras

Bandy stands and bows. "Welcome! Is it really you? Forgive me for asking before you have had refreshment and rest, but what news have you of the Shire? Many months has it been since I looked up on that fair land or heard news of its people."

tomcat

Sep 01, 2015, 10:43 AM #7 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015, 10:58 AM by tomcat
Gandalf's face broke into a smile with his pipe clenched tightly in his teeth. "Well, bless me! Radagast spoke truly when he said that a Hobbit out of the Shire had returned to Mirkwood! And a Bracegirdle, no less! Forgive me, Master Hobbit, but I, too, am at a loss for news regarding the Shire. Since the death of the dragon, Smaug, and the flight of the Necromancer, I have spent a great deal of time on the east side of the Misty Mountains. It has been a number of years since I have seen the green hills of your land, and though I do miss it, there are matters that concern me here. The Shadow has been driven from the south, yes, but we believe now this was but a feint. What we thought merely a lieutenant of the Great Shadow has proved to be Lord Sauron himself, who soon after proclaimed himself in Mordor!"

The name brought a chill to all who stood near the wizard. For some it had been a hearth-tale of old, or scary stories told by milk-mothers, but it could no longer be denied. The great Lord Sauron had revealed himself once more, and all wondered at the future. Elendil and Gil-galad were long gone - who would lead the Free-folk against the Dark Lord this time.

Seeing the ill-ease, Radagast broke in to lighten Gandalf's somber words, "Yes, yes, but he is far from our lands under the leaves of Greenwood!" The use of Mirkwood's former name caused the wizard in gray to cock an eye at his brother.

"But long is his reach, Radagast. You know this to be true. That is why we are here. That is why they are here. Tell them why you have summoned them."

Summoned? Each of the companions wondered at Gandalf's words.

"Very well," sighed the Brown wizard. "Yes, I had you all summoned back to my home. I am in need of valiant folk such as yourselves - and though you might wonder, each of you possesses a strength yet seen. Each of you represent the Free-folk of this Middle-earth, and so must play a part in guarding it. And so, you were summoned."

With his words, Arbogast knew of what he spoke - he had felt a need to return to Rhosgobel. It was as if something had tugged at his heart. By the looks on his friends' faces, he knew, too, that they had experienced it as well.

Gandalf broke in, "There is great need for information, but it may be quite perilous to procure. So a task is presented to you, and should you decline...well, no ill will but thought of you." Some of the companions made to interrupt the wizard, as each had tasks that they were already committed to with the coming of spring. Esgalwen thought of her hunt, the men of their task in the narrows, and Orophin of his homeland. The wizard's eye was keen and he knew their minds. "Fear not - you will all return to your duties once this chore is through. Perhaps you may find answers to the questions that hinder you."

"We must go to the Hill of Sorcery...to Dol Guldur," said Radagast.

Posterboy

Sep 01, 2015, 02:07 PM #8 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015, 06:32 PM by Posterboy
"Dol Guldur!" Esgalwen whispered. "I have spent the better part of these last two years with the men of Tyrant's Hill... brave men... stout hearted folk... who know well the Shadow's lash and the Shadow's spear. Even they barely whisper the name of the hill of sorcery for fear it might draw the Shadow's attention. All who range the eastern nether vales and the southern woods give the place a wide pass. Hate-filled spirits wander the land, foul pets and discarded servants of the necromancer. Men say that even the trees are dead, yet they continue to grow, their limbs twisted from too much spilled blood and dark sorcery."

Turning her eyes to Radagast, "Lord Radagast, what information could be of such great value to send us into such a miserable, forsaken place?"

Bandobras

Instinctively clapping his hands over his ears at the utterance of Dol Guldur, Bandy flinched as if avoiding a blow. "If you Did not the White Council drive the dark lord from that dread place. What can we possibly accomplish that the wise and powerful did not many years ago? I do not mind saying that the stories of that dark place make my blood run chill. I would rather face a dragon than enter the abode of the Necromancer whether he was at home or not. Only the thought of having two powerful wizards at our side gives me courage."

Eclecticon

Arbogast casts a quick glance at the Hobbit.  "I fear, my friend, that these two will not be in our company, and will instead be abroad on business less suited to the likes of us."  He then directs a steady gaze at the two wizards.  "I swore in the summer after the folk-moot that I would lend you my counsel and my hand when you called for it, as did we all.  So shall I.  Yet I too desire to know more than you have said.  What is it that you hope to find in such a forsaken place?"
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

"Do not think that we would send you somewhere that the Wise has not walked before - and don't be so quick to judge, Arbogast!" Answered the gray wizard.

"Yes," said Radagast. "For I am coming with you!"

"Even the Wise sometimes fail to see the end of all things, Master Bracegirdle, and something rotten might have been left to fester within the ancient fortress. You will travel with Radagast to find any evidence of His doings and any plans that might have been left, when he was driven out." Gandalf took his pipe from his mouth, blowing smoke as he did. "You are not beholden to us, and thus my make your own choice as to whether you will aid in this task. But you must choose quickly, as Radagast wishes to be making for the Black Tarn at first light."

Bandobras

I am glad of it, but even if Lord Radagast had declined to accompany us, I would uphold my duties and promises. A faithless friend I would be if I allowed my companions to enter so dark a place without my songs and stories to lift their spirits and lighten their hearts.

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn sat in silence, listening to the exchanges. "Gandalf, my father told me of your adventures when you passed back through with Bandobras' countryman, a Baggins or Bangs or something.  He said that you told him, the forces there fled too easily against your power.  But if that was so, surely you would laid open all the holds and deep places of that accursed fortress? Why would you leave such a place that evil could once again fester?"
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

Sep 02, 2015, 09:38 AM #14 Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 09:40 AM by tomcat
Gandalf bent down to a knee and looked at Bandy, his eyes gleamed in delight. "I believe that it will be the bright spirit of Hobbits that will eventually see us through the darkness, but we shall see."

Grimbeorn's gruff voice spoke in question and Gandalf's face lost its smile. He patted Bandy on the shoulder, winked, and then stood back up to turn and look at the Beorning. "Wisdom is sometimes only gained in hindsight, Master Grimbeorn. When the White Council expelled the Necromancer, it was only my voice that spoke in assertion that this was Sauron, our enemy of old. The Lady of the Wood, and even Lord Elrond, believed me - but it was Saruman that headed up the Council. He said that the Dark Lord had passed from this realm when his ring was cut from his hand, long ago by Isildur, son of Elendil. It was Saruman that decided that such displays of power need not be done against a petty foe such as the sorcerer within Dol Guldur. He counseled that if it was a remnant of the Shadow of Old, it had to be a Nazgul...perhaps even the Witch-king of Angmar.

"It was our folly that staved us from doing what needed done, for just a year later, Sauron did declare his return to Mordor...right after we had dispatched his foul spirit from Mirkwood." Gandalf sighed, while Radagast bobbed his head in agreement, "But I ask you, Grimbeorn - whom do you suppose wields such power as this to lay open the foundations of Dol Guldur? You? The Steward in Gondor? Me or my Order? The Golden Lady? Or mayhaps the wisdom of Elrond? No...these things were spoken of in ages gone when the Valar themselves ousted the Dark Lord Melkor, but their power is not contained by any within Middle-earth. No, it falls to the valour of Men, Dwarves, and Hobbits to solve the problems of this Middle-earth. The Powers of old are fading...and though she still has reserves unseen, the Lady Galadriel will need all of her strength to see this through."

The companions all looked at Gandalf who now stood looking off towards the east and seeming to talk only to himself.