• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:19 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Questions and Answers

Started by tomcat, Jun 14, 2015, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

Jun 14, 2015, 05:45 PM Last Edit: Jun 16, 2015, 10:44 AM by tomcat
Arbogast swung his axe, striking with the flat staggering the Tyran Hillman. He then smashed him with his shield and the man sprawled to the ground, unmoving. The light was fading quickly away as the leaves crackled and were consumed, leaving only glowing embers of wood. Only one of the Hillman had gotten away, the pack of dogs chasing and howling behind him, leaving three unconscious on the ground with minor cuts and scrapes. Dagmar lay there, too, but her wound was clearly more grievous - her tunic a dark black from blood loss. Rorin gripped the only one that was aware of their situation, and the traitor was begging for his life.

On the litter, the dead body of Beran also lay, his own blood staining the ground. Dagmar had made a cruel stab to his chest, through the ribs, and into the man's heart. There was nothing anyone could have done for Radagast's friend.

The companions felt the adrenaline leaving their limbs, and the shakes were commencing for some. Esgalwen looked around and saw in the faces around her, that only a few of these new friends had ever taken another man's life. Bandy stared at Dagmar, where his arrow protruded just below her right breast. She was a woman...and he might have slain her. The Ranger needed to snap them all back to the moment, "We need to get help. There are too many for us to carry back to Tent-town. One or two of us must go for aid."

Orophin had watched as the last of the hillmen ran off through the woods and heard Arbogast tell Grimbeorn to leave him to his own devices. The Silvan Elf came quickly to a conclusion of his own and to the surprise of his companions, bounded off after the man. If he could get in front of him, cut him off, he could stop any news from returning to wherever it was that they had come. Tyrant's Hill, he remember the woman, Dagmar, saying. Orophin only heard a few of the lady ranger's words before he was deep into the darkness of Mirkwood.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Arbogast nods, distractedly.  "I will go," he says, as he kneels by Dagmar's side.  "I know these woods better than any of you, but this woman needs help if she is to live, and there has been enough death already this night." 

With that, he begins the delicate work of removing the arrow from its lodging-place in her chest. 

:ooc: DC 14 Healing 3
:00: 1d12 : 6, total 6
Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 6, total 10
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

:ooc: I'm going to flag Arbogast's patient trait again - he is taking his time and making sure he does the job right. 

On an entirely unrelated note, I believe that qualifies him for another improvement point (his last in the Survival track).

Character sheet

tomcat

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn sets out after the remaining villain but his friends call him back.  He chafes at letting the man go as the portent of their "master" is ominous.  "I will go as I will move fastest unhindered and I cannot stand idle now.  This one may be able to give more information useful in understanding what has transpired."

:ooc: Any particular skill I should use to get back -- Athletics, Travel, Hunting?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

tomcat

:ooc:  No tests needed, Matt. It's going to be narrative for a while now.

Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12

The dice roll is for Dagmar - she will die if it comes up an  :~~: (which is the standard 11, not the inverted numbers when rolling for Allies of the Shadow).

Esgalwen listened to the two woodsmen debate on who should make haste back to Tent-town, and she threw her lot in with Grimbeorn. She spoke her reasoning, "I agree that the Beorning should make this trip. He is larger and sturdier than you, Arbogast. And from my understanding of your cultures, Grimbeorn is a recognized leader among his people and so will have the most credit with your Elders. Besides," she added with a smile to soften the blow, "your skill at healing is needed here." Esgalwen looked at Grimbeorn, "Run, sir! We will need aid as soon as possible if this woman is to survive."

tomcat

Jun 15, 2015, 10:06 AM #6 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2015, 10:50 AM by tomcat
:ooc:  WOW! She is lucky!

If any of you have any RP'ing you want to do before my scene change below, feel free to do so. I will hold up the next scene as needed.

Eyes narrowed as the companions walked into Tent-town. It was the gray of morning and their legs and arms screamed of weariness. Their hearts, too, were low for the expedition that had started as a food gathering task had turned into something terrible. They had seen a man slain and near taken the lives of others.

The procession was led by Grimbeorn and Arbogast, followed by four bound strangers and two litter bearers. A body was covered respectfully with a blanket, while Dagmar was plain to see - her wound even more terrible to behold in the morning light. Following all was the remainder of the companions and the Woodmen that had come at Grimbeorn's beckon. Only Orophin had yet to return, after he had given chase to the last of the Hillmen - his companions wondered at his well-being. They had been unable to aid him in his chase, with Grimbeorn leaving for help and leaving them with five captives to monitor. Even when Grimbeorn returned, there was no way to know in the darkness which way Orophin had gone, and so after a short debate, it was decided to return to Tent-town. Orophin knew his way back - he would have to make it on his own.

Ingomer, the de facto leader of the encampment and the Folk-moot, stood watching as the entourage came into the town's center. Freda and Munderic also stood nearby with eyes wide at the night's events. The young women met Arbogast's haunted gaze and gave him a wan smile. The chief wanted the companions before the Elders to speak of what had happened as soon as they were refreshed. "Get drinks. Wash the forest from your face and hands, and then see us," he said in a stern voice.

The prisoners were taken to a tent and corralled there. Tent-town was not built with the intention of prisoners, as that was not the idea of this moot, and so the need for improvisation. Dagmar was taken to the healers and Beran was set down outside the Elder council's tent for Radagast to see - this was his man.

When the companions had refreshed, they made their way to the Council.

Eclecticon

Each return back to Tent-town has been cooler than the last since Arbogast began keeping the company of his new fellowship, and this is the coldest yet.  His father and family give him cold water to wash in and hard bread to break his fast, and when they accept his wargear for safe-keeping, it is with an un-stated understanding that he will not see it again if he fails to collect it quickly.  So it is a bone-weary, demoralised man who appears before the council of elders. 

Silently, he waits for the remainder of the fellowship.  In the meantime, he watches the fire and lets the events of the previous day resolve themselves in his mind. 

Character sheet

Bandobras

As he stared at Dagmar, pale and unconscious, and the now-bandaged wound he had inflicted, Bandy wonders who he is and who he is becoming. He recalled the consuming desire for revenge that overcame him when she had thrust her dagger deep into Beren's chest. These woods cast a shadow on all things, he thought, turning their acts to evil purposes. I have been here but a short while and I am already becoming like them, his eyes fixed on Dagmar. Looking up, his attention was caught by the busy preparations for the council, where men and women will soon decide in free debate how best to defend themselves.  No, no he thought, I have it wrong. These people, these Woodmen, are of the forest, and yet they struggle against the creeping malice. Dagmar is weak, not strong. Then he saw his friends in a different light.

Realizing how difficult it must be for young men like Arbogast and Grimbeorn to win acceptance in a society that because it exists constantly with the Shadow demands much of its people. The need to prove oneself, to be both strong and wise, must be great. He approaches the woodman and the beorning, their faces strained and anguished. "You have been called upon to perform deeds that would quail the hearts of great men and have rendered great service to your families and people. You have proven yourselves to be doughty warriors, but not merely warriors. Wisdom guides your hands and mercy your hearts. You should be proud." To Arbogast, he says "My people too are distrustful of outsiders. Keeping company with  a Woodman and a Beorning, not to mention an Elf and a Dwarf, would cause a scandal. We are strong together - last night proved that - but the enemy will prey on our differences and try to divide us. Is not that what this council is about, to bring together different people in a common cause? Take heart. You are not alone." 

Stefan

Orophin watches as the last of the hillmen runs off through the woods and quickly gives chase even as the others ask Grimbeorn to stay.  He only hears a part of the lady rangers speech before he's out of earshot and running after the fleeing man.

tomcat

:ooc: I took the narrative that you just wrote, Stefan, tweaked it a bit and dropped it into the initial post of this thread. I also edited the second narrative post that I gave you all.

If anyone needs to, please correct your post to show Orophin's chase after the man.

GandalfOfBorg

The heir of Beorn once again found himself staring intently at the fire.  Father had warned him of their people's tendencies towards swift retribution where treachery, disloyalty, and unfaithfulness lie. But he didn't have his father's equally easy ability to laugh and find joy in the littlest of things like his animals -- the rage within him burned deep.  What Grimbeorn wouldn't acknowledge was that Beorn understood his son better than he and knew it was the fire of youth and inexperience; he had faith that it would turn around and knew that this was a test for both of them.  The youth heard the words of the hobbit and sighed.  "Killing dark creatures and orcs to protect one's homeland and people is one thing, but to kill a man is still a hard thing.  It's the look in their eyes..."
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Bandobras

Bandy felt compassion for the inscrutable beorning youth. What turmoil had he locked deep within him? What was it like to be the son of the great Beorn, of whom even hobbits knew something? Difficult no doubt. But he also seemed to think that his experiences and troubles were worse than other people's. 

In a soft and friendly voice, Bandy said "I know that all too well. If the Dark Lady of Tyrant's Hill dies it is because I killed her. I have experienced more horrors in the last few weeks than in a lifetime in the Shire, and the worst was when the arrow I released  entered her breast. I cannot bear to think of her death and will that Arbogast's remedies worked. But that does not change the fact that there are orcs that are born and there are orcs that are made either by their own choices or by some power beyond our reckoning. Do you catch my meaning? Should Dagmar live, we must try to redeem her.

Bandy, for the first time, began to understand Bilbo a little better. Did he wander so often because his experiences and emotions were so at odds with his bucolic surroundings?

tomcat

Grimbeorn and Bandy looked up to see a wizened, old man enter the council pavilion - both knew him immediately to be Radagast, though it was the first time both had seen him. The Hobbit had heard tales of Gandalf the Gray and had been in awe from the stories, but was left mouth agape when he saw this new wizard. The Master of Rhosgobel had looked like he was dressed in a cloak of lichen and fur, which was smeared with droppings from the birds that flitted above his hat. The diminutive fellow shook he head as he looked to the Beorning to see his reaction. Esgalwen came next, up to her friends along with Arbogast and Rorin - all three wondered at the dumbfounded looks that were on the others faces. The Ranger wondered about Orophin - he had disappeared the night before in chase after the last hillman and none had yet heard news of him.

A woman came out of the Council Tent and announced, "Ingomer has called the council to order - you are requested within."

Eclecticon

Managing to suppress a weary sigh, Arbogast stands.  After a day and a night of walking, then a period of immobility, his legs are protesting.  He hopes it doesn't show on his face as he extends a hand towards Bandobras.  Esgalwen, Grimbeorn and Rorin, he judges, would prefer to stand without accepting his help.

Character sheet