• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 24, 2024, 10:16 AM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

Poison's grip

Started by tomcat, May 07, 2015, 12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GandalfOfBorg

"Treachery!" roared Grimbeorn. "Your family be cursed by it!"  The young man charged after the scoundrels, arming himself as he moved.  Fueled by rage, all weariness fell from his limbs as he chased them down.

:ooc: What should I do to catch up to them -- Athletics to catch up to them? Awareness or Search to perceive them in the shadows? Hunting to track them?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Stefan

Orophin stands back from the group, out of the torch light so that his eyes adjust to the darkness.  He chuckles quietly as the two fumble with the webbing and the deadfall but even his mirth doesn't completely eliminate the feeling that the shadow was creeping after them through the darkness.  

As he watched the frivolity he saw the human woman stab the wounded man.  Before she could withdraw her blade from the dead man's corpse, he'd pulled back the arrow already knocked to his bow and released it at her.

Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Rolled 2d6 : 3, 3, total 6

DMG 5; Edge  :g: ; Injury 14

disench4nted

Just as Rorin stepped up to help the entangled man, he heard the sound of branches and the tree falling. He managed to get his arms up just in time to keep a large branch from striking his head. He cried out in his surprise and cursed the clumsiness of this supposed woodsman. He cried out,  "You fool! Curse you and your clumsiness!" And grumbled a string of choice insults under his breath.

While he was trying to get out from under the fallen tree he heard the sounds of a skirmish along with the bellowing roar that Grimbeorn had let out. Rorin immediately realized what was happening and realized that he was in no position to reach his hammer and help his friends. So Rorin decided to reach for the dagger on his belt and restrain the man who had gotten caught in the cobweb.

tomcat

Jun 11, 2015, 09:02 AM #93 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 10:34 AM by tomcat
:ooc: Awesome posts, guys! I like having the NPC's run by Tom - it leaves an element of surprise for me, the storyteller.  ;D

Granted, I know the basic gist of the story from the campaign book, but it is fun to see how he interprets the NPC's parts and what they will do to achieve their goals. It allows for a player to play against the PC's that is not the storyteller.

Fun!

Okay, back to the action and to answer a few questions:

Bandy - based on the situation, I am going to go with Defensive for Dagmar and her people's stance. She had done what she came to do, now she wants to get out of Dodge. Tom, may change their stance if combat starts in earnest, but he can let me know that before we go into the first official Round thread that I will post once all of your reactions are in (I am waiting on Rorin and I will post for Esgalwen, since Ayrn is still on vacation).

So that said, you need a TN 18 (TN 12 Defensive +4 Parry +2 Shield) to hit. You rolled a 16, so with a Hope Point, it goes to 19 and is a success.

You do 5 Endurance damage -and- it is a Piercing Blow; Dagmar must roll a Protection Roll:
TN 14 Protection 2d+2
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6+2 : 5, 3 + 2, total 10

Arbogast - I am fine with your Battle roll to determine any advantages, but since Dagmar and Co. are in Defensive stance, they have initiative and so you need a TN 18 for advantages. Your 9 roll is not a success. You may spend the Hope point if you wish, but even with your Favoured Attribute score, your dice roll comes to 17 which is not the TN 18 necessary. So, I suggest saving the point on this opening round.

Matt - right now, they are withdrawing into the night, so it is not yet a race. If you attack, you will at least hold one of them here to defend him/herself. So, give me an attack roll against TN 18.

Stefan - sorry, but your attack misses.

Rorin - give me your actions for this onset of combat when you can.

Esgalwen - I will post for now.

I will also be starting a new thread for Round 1 combat. Dagmar and her companions may turn to fight, or try to run...we'll see what Tom does.  ;D  >:D
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Jun 11, 2015, 09:04 AM #94 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 10:35 AM by tomcat
:ooc:  Just got Rorin's post. Let me do Esgalwen first and give some narrative, and then I will see what the rules say to restrain a person.

Dagmar is Wounded
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

Dagmar raised her shield and deflected Arbogast's hasty attack. She heard the hiss of an arrow pass her head, but then felt the sting as Bandy's entered her leg. The Tyrant Hillwoman gave a terrible curse, as she called to her companions to move, "Get ye moving now! Or the Master's lash will be on your backs!"

The companions pressed their attack as the traitors faded into the shadows - their dogs now between each group. Esgalwen had also witnessed the treacherous killing stab and could not believe a man, or woman, could do that to her fellow - especially one who was incapacitated. An Orc, for sure, was notorious for such a cowardly act, but not a woman!

Defying the dogs before her, the Ranger drew her long sword from its scabbard and swung it at Dagmar's flank.

:ooc: In an Open stance, Esgalwen attacks
TN 18 Long sword (Swords)   ♦♦♦○○○
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 3d6 : 2, 1, 1, total 4

:dmg: damage   5 (1h) / 7 (2h)   edge   10   injury   16 (1h) / 18 (2h

tomcat

:ooc: Wow! Pretty lame roll.

Ok, I am opening a new thread for Round 1. Grimbeorn may still act here and I will go ahead and rule that Rorin holds one of the Tyrant Hillman at knife point.

Stefan

:ooc: 0 for 2 so far.  Legolas he ain't.

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn rages furiously as he brings his ancestral weapon down with both hands upon the woman.

:ooc: Grimbeorn is in an Open stance.
TN 18 (Axes)   ♦♦♦○○○
 :00:
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5

Rolled 3d6 : 3, 1, 3, total 7

:dmg: 7/9, edge :g:, injury 18/20
Gwaithlim Weapons

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: I'll use a HP if it will get me a hit.
Gwaithlim Weapons

tomcat

Jun 11, 2015, 05:49 PM #100 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2015, 07:33 PM by tomcat
:ooc: UPDATED Re-hash of my rulings, thanks to Paul pointing out my error...

Okay, back to the action and to answer a few questions:

Bandy - based on the situation, I am going to say that Dagmar and her people are defensive and so will have the initiative next round. She had done what she came to do, now she wants to get out of Dodge. Tom, may change this if combat starts in earnest, but he can let me know that before we go into the first official Round thread that I will post once all of your reactions are in (I am waiting on Rorin and I will post for Esgalwen, since Ayrn is still on vacation).

So that said, you need a TN 18 (TN 12 Rearward +4 Parry +2 Shield) to hit. You rolled a 16, so with a Hope Point, it goes to 19 and is a success.  :csu:

You do 5 Endurance damage -and- it is a Piercing Blow; Dagmar must roll a Protection Roll:
TN 14 Protection 2d+2
This dice roll has been tampered with!
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6+2 : 5, 3 + 2, total 10

Arbogast - I am fine with your Battle roll to determine any advantages, but since Dagmar and Co. are defending, they have initiative and so you need a TN 18 for advantages, but that roll fails. Your 9 attack roll goes against a TN 15 (Open 9+ Parry +4 shield +2). With a Hope point spent, your roll goes to 17, which is a success!  :csu:

You do 5 Endurance damage plus 2 for your great success, but it is not a piercing blow

Matt - right now, they are withdrawing into the night, so it is not yet a race. If you attack, you will at least hold one of them here to defend him/herself. So, give me an attack roll against TN 15.

Stefan - sorry, but your attack misses.

Rorin - give me your actions for this onset of combat when you can.

Esgalwen - I will post for now.

I will also be starting a new thread for Round 1 combat. Dagmar and her companions may turn to fight, or try to run...we'll see what Tom does.  ;D  >:D

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: i believe using a hope point will get me to 15.
Gwaithlim Weapons