• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 25, 2024, 09:32 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Hunt

Started by tomcat, Apr 22, 2015, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandobras

:ooc: Okay, so how does the dice roller work and which one do I use? I see three options.

tomcat

:ooc: Sorry, I have added so many things over the years to my boards that I can see where I have created confusion. :)

What you were clicking on is just a dice icon. You need to click on icon above and to the right that puts the dice roller code into your post. When you click the icon it will add the following:

[rol1] enter dice here [/rol1]  (intentionally spelled with 1's and spaces so code does not trigger)

So, if you want to use this in-post roller, you type your dice in between the opening [rol1] and closing [/rol1] code. Make sure to separate the dice type by commas:

1d12,3d6+2 or whatever you need to roll.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: Sorry, my mistake.  I'll hit the buck,  of course.  When a 6t is rolled will that augment the result like you did for CODA more or less (TOR: success, great success (1 6t), extraordinary success (2+ 6t) ~= CODA: success, superior success (TN+5), and extraordinary success (TN+10)?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Bandobras

:ooc: Thanks. Okay, I'll sneak up on the deer first.

Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 3d6 : 6, 5, 1, total 12

Bandobras

Moving silently into position, Bandy breathes, deep, draws the string to his ear, takes aim, and releases.

:ooc: Thanks. That worked. So I do not have any skill at hunting so I will roll only a feat die but I did gain a +2 from a successful stealth roll and +2 because the bow is my favored weapon.

Deer 1 (Buck)
Rolled 1d12+4 : 2 + 4, total 6

Deer 2 (Doe)
Rolled 1d12+4 : 3 + 4, total 7

Deer 3 (Fawn)
Rolled 1d12+4 : 2 + 4, total 6

:ooc: PS. If I understand correctly, any successful test earns an AP? So I should take an AP for the successful stealth roll above?

Bandobras

Bandy curses under his breath.

tomcat

Quote from: GandalfOfBorg on Apr 24, 2015, 04:12 AM:ooc: Sorry, my mistake.  I'll hit the buck,  of course.  When a 6t is rolled will that augment the result like you did for CODA more or less (TOR: success, great success (1 6t), extraordinary success (2+ 6t) ~= CODA: success, superior success (TN+5), and extraordinary success (TN+10)?

:ooc: No mistake on your part, Matt - I am still piece-mealing things here, as I get the mechanics down. So no apology necessary.

To answer the other part, yes. I will look at all the rolls and where they were directed once everyone posts. I am going to give Stefan a chance to update his roll since an attack wasn't necessary for this challenge. When I have his rolls, I will post the narrative results.

Also, so everyone knows - I just removed the TOR roller and the EotE roller from the top menu. It just makes it easier and removes any confusion about which dice to use. So, you guys can use the in-post roller like everyone seems to be doing, or you are welcome to use the Dice Roller above and copy/paste your results. I will also add all the characters to the character drop-down above.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Stefan

:ooc:I'm not going to change the post if that's ok, just the rolls which I'll redo here.

DC -12 Stealth rank 2
:00: 1d12 : 2, total 2
Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7

Stefan

I don't suppose I get any bonus for Folk of the dusk since we're mucking about in the woods?

DC - 14 Hunting Deer 1 (+2 favored weapon, no stealth bonus)
:00: 1d12 : 10, total 10
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 2, total 7

DC - 14 Hunting Deer 2 (+2 favored weapon, no stealth bonus)
:00: 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 5, total 10

DC - 14 Hunting Deer 3 (+2 favored weapon, no stealth bonus)
:00: 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 4, total 9

Stefan

:ooc:Guess I dont need the bonus, I think I hit all 3 times.  The first two since the fate die was 10 and 12 are wounds and do 14 I believe, the 3rd just does a little endurance damage? 
Bow   ♦♦○○○○   damage   5   edge   10   injury   14

tomcat

Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 AM #25 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2015, 10:58 AM by tomcat
The small group of deer advanced on the clear pool as Men, Elf and Hobbit slowly encircled them moving through scrub and hiding behind trees. The doe and her two fawn bent their necks to drink, while the buck stood at guard, his eyes searching about while his ears twitched. The hunters moved as quietly as possible but there was a sudden snap of wood as Grimbeorn's great boot came down on a broken limb lying on the forest floor. The four deer were all up again scanning the trees around them that glowed with the foggy, ethereal light of the moon.

A laugh erupted from Orophin, his mirth getting the best of him due to the ungainly sounds of the Men around him. Still, the Elf winged three arrows even as the family of deer turned to sprint. There were two grunts from thrown weapons, and the whistle of a few more arrows as the other companions joined the attack. Spears flew and struck true, while Orophin's arrows took each deer in their flanks. It was the buck that had drawn the most attention and it fell with a squeal into a growth of ferns, its family abandoning it for their own safety.

Seeing their quarry fall, the companions raced out of their blinds to assure the buck would not, or could not, regain its feet and disappear into the night. Arbogast and Grimbeorn found it breathing hard and struggling to rise. The two spears and one of Orophin's arrows were stuck in the animal. Grimbeorn carefully approached, dagger in hand, and put the beast out of its misery. Weapons were withdrawn from the deer and they all took a moment to rest - adrenaline had their hearts pumping from the joy of the hunt. Only Bandy came forward with shuffling feet, his demeanor sullen due to his inability to successfully hit any of the deer.

With their mood light and hearts calming, Arbogast drew his own dagger and the two men set about cleaning the deer and prepping it for the travel back to camp.

:ooc: You guys have about 30+ minutes of prep time to dress the animal for travel. It is night, of course, so do you want to make camp and move back to Tent-town in the morning, or go tonight?

Eclecticon

It's an easy decision for Arbogast.  As he finishes the unmaking of the deer and wipes his dagger on a scrap of hide, he says "I thank you, my new-found friends.  My kin shall eat well when we return, and all of you shall share in what we have provided!  For now, though, we should make camp - above the falls and away from the stream, for there are yet darker things in Mirkwood that must also find water.  We can make our way back to Tent Town in the morning.  None would be thankful for being woken in the night, even were we laden down with a beast apiece."
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Bandobras

Well done to the three of you for bringing down the buck. Abrogast's suggestion seems wise. He knows these woods best, and I do not fancy traveling through this forest at night. We should suspend the meat from a high branch so that no wild creatures can reach it. I will go in search of firewood.

tomcat

Apr 25, 2015, 08:31 PM #28 Last Edit: Apr 26, 2015, 06:31 AM by tomcat
Quote from: Stefan on Apr 24, 2015, 11:42 AMI don't suppose I get any bonus for Folk of the dusk since we're mucking about in the woods?

:ooc: No, Stefan, that blessing gives you your Favoured attribute rank on any test, if you use a Hope.

I have updated all PC's for advancement points  :csu:

You guys are welcome to do this, too. It is easier on the Profiler PC sheets than the stat thread, but you make the call.

But to answer everyones question on it, yes, you will get an advancement point (up to 3 in a category) for each successful use of a skill.

GandalfOfBorg

:ooc: thank you, I've been looking all over for what those dots were for.

"Either way, I care not.  But if we stay, we must keep a watch -- I trust not to turn my back on these woods," admonishes the Beorning.
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16