• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:10 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

The Hunt

Started by tomcat, Apr 22, 2015, 01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

:ooc: You guys had some great posts in the last thread, but I am going to tweak your surrounds a little bit, as the woods are not so quiet right now.  ;)

Answering Freda's request, the companions gathered their things and made to leave Tent-town. Those in need were bestowed with weapons that would be of use on the hunt, although primary weapons were not relinquished - across Grimbeorn's back, Bear Claw, hung heavily. But now, the northman held a large spear that would make easy work of a large animal.

Arboagast led off the group from the eaves of Mirkwood, where trees were sparse and the grey sky could be seen, into the denser wood. They marched and listened, some even taking a sniff of the air, which was heavy and humid. Rain pattered on the canopy of leaves above and the forest was astir with the clicks of tree frogs and insects. The woodman led the company sure footedly through the forest he had come to know over his lifetime. His home was further north of Rhosgobel, but Arbogast had spent his days walking under the boughs of Mirkwood. They followed a trail for a good length of time, while the sun crossed over the sky, behind the clouds, until at last they came to a stream. He knew the creek for what it was, though it had no true name. It ran a north-south direction, and Arbogast took the company north to the region of woods that were most familiar to him.

They talked quietly among themselves, all the while listening and watching for any movement. They kept the creek on their left and within sight as much as possible, but the land rose at times, or large trees or stones would block their path. Always though, with the skill of each, they made their way back to its gurgling track. Only Bandy was a true stranger to the forest and he marched in awe of its unending-ness, while he struggled to keep astride the men and elf, whose gaits were double his own. With the sun sitting in the afternoon sky and clouds breaking - though it was perceived more than actually seen - they came into a clearing. The creek's origins were from a large spring fed pool of water before them that sat below a green-mossy covered wall of stone. Rain water from above cascaded down and filled the area with a small roar. It was here that Arbogast knew that many herd animals would come to drink in relative safety - they need only wait.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

tomcat

:ooc: You guys can add as you please with any inter-character chat. Your hunting tests are rolled, I am just setting the scene up a bit more. I need to go to Taekwondo right now, so more will come later.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Though the chatter between the hunters is sparse, with long silences in between, Arbogast enjoys it.  After long years living within the bounds of his clan's homestead, Grimbeorn's idle mentions of his shapeshifting father and Orophin's snatches of song and talk of star-lit feasts fascinate him.  Even Brandobas' mention of hobbit-holes, with their round doors, glazed windows and individual beds, sounds wildly exotic. 

Someday, he decides, I'm going to sleep like that.  A whole bed to myself, with a feather pillow under my head.  Just once.  Just to see what it's like.

He can't help but feel sorry when they reach the pool.  He motions for silence, mostly for the benefit of Brandobas.  Then, in a hushed whisper, says "Let's hope the rain holds like this.  It's too light to chill us badly, but heavy enough to keep our scents from travelling far."  He distributes some of the smoked meat he brought on the journey to Rhosgobel to the other hunters.  It's the last food he has, but there's every chance that he will soon have more.  Then he points out some places where they can (hopefully) hide, and wait for game to come. 
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

tomcat

Following Arbogast's direction, the company found blinds for themselves. Pricker bushes, midge flies, and uncomfortable roots under their seats soon has Bandy grousing at their predicament. The Hobbit had ventured before from his home, but this was an altogether new experience. Orophin attempted to keep the mood light, but it was difficult while trying to keep silent.

Again, the hours passed and darkness settled over the forest. Fortunately, the skies had cleared above and a full moon shone brightly casting a pale luminance over the forest. The change in temperature from muggy day to cool night had pockets of fog rising from the forest floor - ferns and other plants poked up out of the glowing mists. But, their wait had finally proven worthwhile for in the soft light four shapes could be seen cautiously approaching the stream. One was large and the rack on his head showed him to be a mature buck; the three that followed were most certainly his mate and offspring. The deer moved towards the fresh spring pool, all the while the buck's ears twitched and his nose sniffed the night air.

Stefan

:ooc:Well, lets give this a shot. I'm assuming that all of us with bows will fire at the same time to increase our chances of catching our dinner.

Orophin draws back his bow checks to make sure his companions have their bo's ready, then lets an arrow fly at the large buck.

DC - 12+parry Bow 2. Spend 1 hope to use stat bonus, favored stat because bow is favored weapon.
:00: 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 2d6+7 : 4, 5 + 7, total 16

{:dmg:}damage 5   edge   10   injury 14

tomcat

:ooc: Awesome, Stefan! Thanks for the roll, but I want to let you know that I am working on this scene setup still. There is no normal creature listing in the new TOR system, so what I might do with this hunt is make it a Skill Challenge, kind of like in Saga.

You will have your Hope point back if I re-structure this from being a combat type skill to something else. Give me until tonight to read through the Core Rules and a thread on the Cubicle 7 forums.

Stefan

:ooc:oK, I thought it would be a little weird to shoot a deer as a combat action because they'll run as soon as they know were there, but I figured it was a good opportunity to work out a combat check.

tomcat

Apr 23, 2015, 03:40 PM #7 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2015, 03:42 PM by tomcat
:ooc: Okay, for the hunt...

Each PC may make one Hunting test TN 14 against each deer; you may gain a +2 modifier to your Hunting tests with a successful Stealth test TN 12; may also gain a +2 modifier if using favoured weapon. Identify which roll is on which deer, as each deer will need 3 successful cumulative Hunting tests against it to bring it down.

GandalfOfBorg

Grimbeorn moves quickly and quietly through the woods, easily following the tracks of their prey.  His conversation with the others was significantly less than before leaving (not much more than grunts or an "aye" or "no"), preferring to hold to the instruction given when he was younger -- keep as quiet as possible.  Upon seeing their quarry, he brought spear to bear and steeled himself for the kill.

:ooc:
TN 14, Deer 1 -
Rolled 1d12 : 1, total 1
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5
Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6

TN 14, Deer 2 -
Rolled 1d12 : 9, total 9
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1

TN 14, Deer 3 -
Rolled 1d12 : 6, total 6

Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Eclecticon

As the deer drink and Grimbeorn moves to one side of the pool, Arbogast breaks cover as silently as possible and sneaks around the opposite side, hoping to surround their quarry...

:ooc: Stealth test:
Rolled 1d12 : 5, total 5
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 6, total 12

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Achingly slowly, taking great care to place each foot noiselessly, he moves around to within an easy spear-throw of the deer.  His heart pounds as he conceals himself again, waiting until the rest of the hunting party is ready before doing anything that might scare away the animals.  Despite the chill of the evening mist, his palms seem slick with sweat and he cannot keep an excited tremor from his hands. 

Only when he sees Grimbeorn's spear, and the arrows of Orophin and Brandobas, fly does he stand and cast his own spear, hoping desperately that what he has picked as a target in a split-second is the buck, and not the shadow of a branch on the shore...

:ooc: Here goes!
Rolled 1d12 : 12, total 12
Rolled 2d6+2 : 5, 3 + 2, total 10

Also, do I get an Advancement Point for a successful use of a Survival skill?  Pretty please?

Character sheet

tomcat

Apr 23, 2015, 08:03 PM #11 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2015, 08:16 PM by tomcat
Quote from: Eclecticon on Apr 23, 2015, 07:32 PMAlso, do I get an Advancement Point for a successful use of a Survival skill?  Pretty please?

:ooc: Yea, any successful skill usage will allow you to fill in the AP for that type of skill. I am not sure which sheet will be the easier to maintain - the stat posts or the Profiler sheet, but you decide.

I am looking at this now and my test request makes little sense to me that Grimbeorn would have three hunting attempts, as he only had one spear. Matt, I am going to revise this test to say that those characters that can make multiple Hunting tests (i.e. archers) may make one against each deer (up to 3), but those that only have one missile weapon (i.e. spear chuckers) must clarify the deer they are tossing at and that's it.

Deer 1 - buck
Deer 2 - doe
Deer 3 - fawn 1
Deer 3 - fawn 2

So, Matt - since all of your tests are successful, just tell me which deer you would have tried to bring down with your spear. I will need the target for Arbogast, too.

I promise guys that I will get this together very soon and things will run much better/easier. Just need to firm up the mechanics of it all.

Eclecticon

:ooc: Sweeeet.  Arbogast was aiming for the buck - it's a bigger target, and he's trying to impress a girl...

Character sheet

Bandobras

Seeing the others move through the trees, Bandy slips forward with the light, silent footfalls of a Hobbit. His precise, deliberate movements betray no sign of his excitement and fear. As he moves into position to line up the doe, the pounding of his own heart fill his ears and beads of sweat form on his forehead and neck. 

:ooc: Stealth Roll
:00:

Bandobras

:ooc: Sorry. haven't had to roll the dice before.
:00: 1d13, 3d6