• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:27 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

OOC THREAD

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2015, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eclecticon

Okay, for simplicity's sake, I've given you five points - the same as I took for Arbogast.
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

Eclecticon

Once again, I wasn't quite able to get a story post up today.  Look for something tomorrow. 

Character sheet

Posterboy

Hey, just noting that I am away for work starting today until Monday... and next week will be pretty crazy too.
After Mar 11 it should settle down for me until mid May.
Peace,
Ayrn

Telcontar

Am I marking the hunting and stealth roll? I went to do it and there were already marks in those categoreis. Were those from the games?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

Eclecticon

The movement roll I think is from his athletics check to escape Gnornung.  I think the survival one is already marked from his successful Hunting roll.  Sorry for the confusion. 

If it helps, I haven't marked anything since it's been you making the rolls. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

More story coming tomorrow.

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Mar 19, 2018, 01:32 PM #1026 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2018, 09:17 PM by Eclecticon
I'm going to set up threads for the two different pursuits.  I don't have access to my usual work computer today (I'm in a different office testing some record keeping system) but I'll get posts up as soon as I can.

UPDATE:  Still working on the other thread.  Hopefully later tonight (my time) or tomorrow morning. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Wow, have I ever let you guys down.  The only excuse I can offer is that work turned feral right as my wife got sick and I had to start work on uni essays.  Despite all of the above, I had the GENIUS IDEA that I would write a song that the orcs were singing in the Beorning steading.  That occupied all my 'creative time' for several days before I decided that I just couldn't hit the black humour tone that I was going for and that the attempt was holding everything up. 

I'll be a little more realistic about what I can deliver from here on. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Mar 25, 2018, 06:17 PM:ooc:  ... I would like to ask if Esgalwen can invoke her Fair trait to succeed at Introduction (Courtesy) check?
I'm pretty happy to give out auto-successes for uses of Traits - especially in circumstances where failure would make the story less fun and interesting.  The tradeoff is that you don't get an advancement point. 

Character sheet

tomcat

Well, I wouldn't get one anyway due to needing the bonus die - right?

Do we reward failed rolls that are bumped to a success with a bonus die?
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

That's the way I've always played it.  Once you roll dem bones, a success is a success.

Character sheet

Telcontar

We have petty cash APs!
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Eclecticon

Doug, Aryn, I haven't forgotten about you.  Expect a meeting with Brunhild tomorrow. 

Character sheet

Eclecticon

Quote from: tomcat on Apr 12, 2018, 03:01 AM :ooc: I would say yes, but it would come via a buyable trait. Not a weapon enhancement, but a fighting-style trait that you can buy with experience.

I agree with what you're saying about the benefits of the spear keeping combatants at a distance, but it would be an awkward weapon at first. The defensive benefits would be learned by use.

Does that make sense?

The more I think about this, the less enthusiastic I am about it applying purely to one type of weapon.  Long spear is long, yes indeed, but (and I'm speaking from personal experience here) it's not that hard to get inside its reach, at which point it's more of a liability than a help.  An opponent who knows what they're doing (CAVEAT: most historical combatants did not know what they were doing) wouldn't find it much harder to hit someone with a long spear than someone without one. 

I might get behind some sort of Mastery that increased your Parry score - it sort of seems odd that characters can get better at dealing out damage as they accumulate experience, but not avoiding it - but you'd need to make sure that it wasn't just a shortcut to invulnerable PCs.  As Doug will no doubt agree, they can be hard enough to hurt as it is. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

As I think about it more I think I was looking at it in a vacuum of weapon statistics. I think the Fighting defensive options in the Defense Stance achieves what I was thinking and does it in a broader way.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear