• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Apr 19, 2024, 04:00 PM

News:

Welcome to RPG.avioc.org!! If you have a story to tell or want to join one, you have come to the right place!

OOC THREAD

Started by tomcat, Apr 21, 2015, 09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat

I will have a new post up tomorrow guys!

Thanks for your patience - but it was all for naught. Cubicle 7 asked it to be taken down today due to the images. I could re-post it as a simple black and white Word document, with nothing but words, but why bother.

We had a great run on the first HOF because Decipher didn't give us any challenge with the zine and it built a pretty big fan base. Enough to take it up to 70+ issues (over 6 years of publication)! They even were part of the HOF via interviews and such. I think it even outlasted the actual game company.

Anyway, I am not sure I care enough now.

Let me get my head around a new post and I will get it up tomorrow.

Doug
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦♦○] Dmg 10/12  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Shadow bane [when in Forward stance, add 1 success die to each attack]
Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Eclecticon

Oh man - after all that work!  What a kick in the 'nads! 

I can understand why C7 did it - after all, they have one of the world's most persnickety IP holders looking over their shoulder any time they do TOR work - but that really blows for you guys.  :(
Reason is a tool.  Try to remember where you left it.  - John Clarke

The Warden's Axe: :dmg: 5/7, Edge 9, Injury 18/20
Woodcrafty - In wooded areas, Parry is based on favoured Wits score.
Character sheet

GandalfOfBorg

Which images did they take issue with?
Gwaithlim Weapons
Great Bow  Atk: 2d -- Dmg (0h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
Swords       Atk: 2d -- Dmg (1h): 5/11/17 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16
                                    Dmg (2h): 7/13/19 -- Edge: 10 -- Injury: 16

Telcontar

Well no one is making any money off of it.

What I did for my Guide to the Eldar was to look on Deviant Art and then emailed the artists for permission to use their work on a free fannon work. The other stuff was floating around open source.

I'm slightly surprised they had you take it down. Was it specific images they didnt want you to use?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear
2h.  4d :00: 9 :dmg: Edge 8 Injury 18

tomcat

None were specified, but the ezine is totally built on their artwork, so as to emulate the books.

I am talking to Hodgson now to see what can come of it.
Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane
Foe-slaying - when attacking a bane creature, reduce Edge of weapon by value of bearer's Valour

Skirmisher [if carried encumbrance is 12 or less, increase Parry by +3 when in close combat stance]

Telcontar

John always struck me as a good reasonable dude.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Yea- he is very reasonable...

"There are loads of budding artists who I'm sure would love a shot at illustrating your work. And who knows, perhaps it will get them noticed by Cubicle 7? Likewise, I'm sure you can find someone to provide you with some graphics that give that One Ring feel without breaking copyright law.

So by all means, once the artwork you don't have rights to is taken out, please do put the magazine back on line. I can't give any official permission, but I personally wouldn't trouble you any further if it doesn't contain material we paid for, own and publish."

He didn't even say take the zine down - just remove his artwork. Trouble is, I don't know which were his and he cannot give permissions.

All that said, I do not have time to do a voluntary webzine and muster artists who can emulate the look of the TOR books. Nor would I want to do it and then have them put the boot down again, perhaps because it 'looks' too much like their product.

It's no big deal. I just enjoyed our first run of HOF and thought a new one would be just as fun to do.

So, I will email you the final product but for all intents and purposes, its shut down.

Telcontar

How important is the exact look? From their perspective they may feel as though you are trying to emmulate something that it looks too official. Iknow even the Army has crazy branding rules when we are working on our slides.

What if we got permission from them to use the font and border, had a solid disclaimer and sourced the art from somewhere else? Its also possible that John or the other artists have stuff that didnt make the official stuff they may be willing to release for a zine.

THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

We can certainly carry on the conversation.

Eclecticon

Sorry I haven't been as active of late.  I've spent the past three days helping to clear out the bedroom of a dead two-year-old - not ours, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster - and it hasn't left me in the mood for gaming.  Ironically, today is the first of two days my family has been spending at Comic Con.  Between the two, I'm a little wiped out.  I should be able to post a bit more often once I get back to work on Monday and my schedule eases up a little. 

I'm caught up on the journey so far, at least.  I think Arbogast is just retreating into himself and spending more and more time 'scouting the way ahead'.

Character sheet

tomcat

Take all the time you need, Paul.

Not sure how my mind would be for a few days after helping clean out a kiddos room. That had to be heavy.

Eclecticon

Thanks.  I'm basically okay - my wife had spent a lot more time with the little one, so it hit her a lot harder.  And of course her parents aren't having a great time, especially her mother who is, I found out, both trying to quit smoking and pregnant

Shiiiiiiiit. 

Anyway, I'll get back to posting all the damn time again. 

Character sheet

Telcontar

Yeah, that all sounds pretty terrible.
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

Telcontar

Mechanical question: thoughts on process for removing shadow points on my sword?
THE GAME MUST GO ON!

Hathcyn
Great Spear

tomcat

Going to have to think about that for a bit.